What's new

Lauri Markkanen, no longer considered untouchable?

Yeah I know,they are same as we all, we all like getting more money. Still, I am absolutely certain that Lauri puts more value to other things than 99 % of other NBA players do. I believe nice life for the family is on top of the list, but somewhere there is also success and chance to compete.

My preferred path for the Jazz right now:

- Look to trade JC, JC, THT, and KO at the deadline
- Draft BPA in 2024 draft
- Extend Lauri
- Give young guys as much run as is beneficial for development for next year and a half
- Draft Flagg in 2025
- Go all in on competitive basketball for 2025/2026

Is Lauri cool with that plan?

My preferred path for the Jazz right now:

- Look to trade JC, JC, THT, and KO at the deadline
- Draft BPA in 2024 draft
- Extend Lauri
- Give young guys as much run as is beneficial for development for next year and a half
- Draft Flagg in 2025
- Go all in on competitive basketball for 2025/2026

Is Lauri cool with that plan?
As long as you actually do step 5 it won't matter lol. I just think step 3 may block step 5. If we play all the youngins maybe not doe.

The next question is what pieces are missing from being competitive/contending and how likely is it that we can obtain/develop those pieces within Lauri's window.
Lol. This team needs a complete overhaul. Our guard line isn’t winning material. And I still haven’t decided on Keythe only players I like that I see being on the team past this year is Ochai, Simone, Kessler, and Hendricks. We are light years away from contending or just being decent. For the record, obviously I like Markkanen but he should be traded.

And if you can’t find the star you have to at least adjust from project and value flip mode. Like you have to build an actual roster and not a collection of stuff. The pivot point is coming this offseason and trade deadline. If they punt it’s a sign they have no plan.

Yeah that's where I'm at. I'm in no rush to trade Lauri, but the Jazz do gotta do something besides sit around in collection mode.

Yeah that's where I'm at. I'm in no rush to trade Lauri, but the Jazz do gotta do something besides sit around in collection mode.
The Collins trade was such a dumb move. If we had mounds of cap space we could do some things this offseason while also extending Lauri. Now I'm a little leery of taking on salary in trades as it threatens our ability to extend Lauri.

Unload JC and we may be able to maneuver a bit.

Deciding to continue to mess around with THT. Extending JC (which I was fine with because of the descending contract) and using our cap space for the next two year to take on Collins is holding this team back from doing the things it should have.

If you get 5+ picks, then Lauri will be traded. It is painful. He is the perfect player for the Jazz and many teams. But we aren't winning anytime soon and we would be doing him a disservice.

How does income tax work for European players? They have to pay USA income tax and Finnish income tax?
I know Norway has a tax cooperation scheme with the US, and would think Finland has similar. At least here you can deduct taxes paid in the US. There is no direct income tax for income in the US when you live overseas, but at least in Norway the rule is you generally stay a member of the "folketrygd", a welfare that for instance will allow you healthcare. You can opt out of that and pay zero taxes at home, but then you need for instance a travel insurance when you come back home. I think there are rules about how many days you can spend in Norway (Finland in his case) per year too.

He said that in response to a question about him going for a media job after his career is over. I don't remember him saying anything about not wanting a new contract in the NBA.
yeah he also said he had zero intention of retiring before he had to because he knows being home looking after kids is way harder a gig than playing

yeah he also said he had zero intention of retiring before he had to because he knows being home looking after kids is way harder a gig than playing
I'm guessing the 11M per year was a bigger motivator than that lol.

If you get 5+ picks, then Lauri will be traded. It is painful. He is the perfect player for the Jazz and many teams. But we aren't winning anytime soon and we would be doing him a disservice.
5+? We didn’t even get 4 for Mitchell. I’d be happy with 3 picks and a young player with potential to be something

5+? We didn’t even get 4 for Mitchell. I’d be happy with 3 picks and a young player with potential to be something
The number is 4 or 5. If you get premium picks or young players its 4. If its a mix of premium and fine... then its 5. Don got us 3 picks, 2 swaps, a recent lotto pick, Lauri (was worth a pick at the time) and Sexton. Lauri is the thing that never hits the market. Rangy wing big in his prime who is excellent (more than excellent) without the ball and can guard his yard. He is also paid half as much annually as Don was. Donny was a 6,000 square foot house in a nice suburb that goes for millions... Lauri is a beach front bungalow that will also go for millions (if we sell). They are different but their value will be similar.

The Collins trade was such a dumb move. If we had mounds of cap space we could do some things this offseason while also extending Lauri. Now I'm a little leery of taking on salary in trades as it threatens our ability to extend Lauri.

Unload JC and we may be able to maneuver a bit.

Deciding to continue to mess around with THT. Extending JC (which I was fine with because of the descending contract) and using our cap space for the next two year to take on Collins is holding this team back from doing the things it should have.

Yeah, I’ll take an L on that one. The Collins trade was so bad. I’m not even sure it’s his fault, but he undoubtedly looks worse playing with us. It’s gone a lot worse that I expected.