What's new

Lauri Markkanen stats since Dec 1

From a team perspective, Lauri is shooting more FT's and the Jazz are loosing. I think fouling and roughing him up when he drives is one way to keep him from having even better numbers and the Jazz supporting cast isn't good enough when the defense is doing this to Lauri. I do like the end of the game with the ball with Clarkson
Right now, due to his perimeter slump, Lauri is replacing high volume, high accuracy 3pt shooting with some free throws. While it's obviously good that he's finding other ways to score, that's still not really a winning formula in the long run. He has to scratch and claw for every trip to the FT line, and like you said, often gets roughed up in the process.

Let's hope his long ball returns sooner rather than later.

Anyone see the side by side stat line from Dirk’s MVP year and Lauri’s stats this year? Damn near identical.
The stats look identical but there's still a pretty big difference between Prime Dirk and the current Lauri.

Dirk had a couple of near-unstoppable go-to moves the Mavs could always lean on when the offense got bogged down. He was a much better back-to-the basket player than Lauri and was able to use that as the starting point for a variety of fadeaways (the one-legged shot being the most iconic) and dribble-pivot-jumper combos.

To be fair, NBA defenses are very different now. Dirk was able to work 1-on-1 on an island a lot, and it was much easier to keep floors spaced back then. Lauri is seeing a wall of meat every time he curls to the middle and teams are "shadow doubling" him on almost every play.

Markkanen is also much more of an opportunistic scorer than Dirk. He's an artist at taking what the flow of the game gives him.

Looks like at this point 30 points is a good game and something else - I feel a bit meh. Makes me wonder if he can sometimes in his career average 30. It seems possible.

It’s clear to me that we can’t tank well with Lauri and Kessler. Next year we should surround them with whoever plays for the jazz g league team so we can affectively tank next year.

It’s clear to me that we can’t tank well with Lauri and Kessler. Next year we should surround them with whoever plays for the jazz g league team so we can affectively tank next year.
Like with a whole bunch of tears or more yelling? Or with smiles?

27.3 PPG, 4.6 APG, 4.2 RPG on 47/37/87 shooting splits in 38 total games.

Lauri is averaging more PPG on better efficiency in every shooting aspect and 4.3 more RPG.

Then you add in three firsts, two pick swaps, Sexton and Ochai.
And… Lauri’s actually younger. Not significantly so, but still.

If the Heat game is gonna be like this Hornets game... His stats are getting down a lot in just two games. Feels he is running out of gas in this road trip now. No wonder bc he has had the highest minutes wrestling against double and triple teams meanwhile JC and Collin are injured.

If the Heat game is gonna be like this Hornets game... His stats are getting down a lot in just two games. Feels he is running out of gas in this road trip now. No wonder bc he has had the highest minutes wrestling against double and triple teams meanwhile JC and Collin are injured.
Relax man it’s literally one bad shooting game. I can’t remember the last bad shooting game he had.