What's new

Lauri Markkanen Will Miss a Year (Eventually)

A couple things on the conscription in Finland. All men are obliged to do service (females can join voluntarily too), but effectively it is voluntary for men too; you just inform war and weapons are against your philosophy/religion/whatever, and you don't have to do the military service (you would still basically have to do the equivalent time in civilian service, but you don't have to do that either if you really don't want to). However, the cultural weight is something a non-finn might find extremely hard to understand; doing the military service is something every man does with pride, period. Two thirds of finnish males do the service, the one third being those who are physically or mentally un-capable joining the army (the Army doesn't want lunatics, drugster, people who have committed violent crimes, etc, while by law the physically limited also have to be excluded even though the Army might want many of them (just because you can't run 1.5 miles in 12 minutes doesn't mean you are not capable of handling drones, radios, computers etc)), plus the ones who don't want to do the service.

Lauri is from a deeply traditional part of Finland. It would be extremely inconvenient for him to visit friends and relatives if he decided to skip doing the service. The matter would be the elephant in the room in any social situation. If he was to run butt-naked to market and do the helicopter in front of the city hall, people would just shrug and think that was kinda strange, but skipping doing the service would be awkward.

I thought people who had committed violent crimes would be desired candidates?

I thought people who had committed violent crimes would be desired candidates?
Would you want to sleep in the same tent with a guy armed with an automatic weapon, if you know that guy is unable to control his violent nature?

Would you want to sleep in the same tent with a guy armed with an automatic weapon, if you know that guy is unable to control his violent nature?

I've never wanted to sleep in a tent in my life! Camping is for homeless people....

Takes a certain mental capacity to inflict harm on others, its easier for some people, can be useful in a military setting.

Takes a certain mental capacity to inflict harm on others, its easier for some people, can be useful in a military setting.
It is a well proven fact that sociopaths who are violent by nature make extremely poor soldiers. They usually love showing how powerful they are by bullying others. But in the Army they don't follow orders, and their last drops of power disappear while eating dust in the middle of an artillery barrage or being on the recieving end of machinegun fire; they break down and leg for it, leaving their mates in trouble. In war you need soldiers who are cool under pressure, and keep going when it is go-time. There are always (and there have always been) many soldiers during war who never ever fire their gun, because they are unable to use their gun against another human being, but they still keep going with their unit and their mates; such soldiers are much more useful than violent bullies who likely will leg for it when someone claps their hands too loudly.

It is a well proven fact that sociopaths who are violent by nature make extremely poor soldiers. They usually love showing how powerful they are by bullying others. But in the Army they don't follow orders, and their last drops of power disappear while eating dust in the middle of an artillery barrage or being on the recieving end of machinegun fire; they break down and leg for it, leaving their mates in trouble. In war you need soldiers who are cool under pressure, and keep going when it is go-time. There are always (and there have always been) many soldiers during war who never ever fire their gun, because they are unable to use their gun against another human being, but they still keep going with their unit and their mates; such soldiers are much more useful than violent bullies who likely will leg for it when someone claps their hands too loudly.
You've got a thriving career as a soft erotica novelist, should you choose. Just sayin.

And at 7 feet tall his tootsies and legs would be sticking out the tent
The Finnish army uses quite different tents than they use in the US army, no personal tents like in US Army, but "half-platoon" (the special forces uses the smaller "sissi" tent meant for squads, but Lauri ain't going to the special forces). The reason is of course winter, as you have to be able to sleep outside in the tent even if it is -40 degrees or colder, and you have to be able to take care of your gear too (even guns tend to freeze down when it is cold enough). Each soldier has 245 cm (about 8ft) of space in the tent from the oven to the side of the tent, and without any gear 20 people sleep in the tent (with gear usually around 15); during Winter War horses were sometime brough in to the tents during the worst cold nights, so I think even Lauri might fit in.

The same tent model has been in use by the Finnish Army since 1920's, and pretty much similar material too (light brown coloured (these days camouflage colouredcoloured) sail canvas).

Halvplutonst%C3%A4lt.jpg

PJ-telttoja.jpg

Funnily enough I've worked with a sociopath (****ing awful bloke, dude was worse than cancer.) who was an army sniper. I've worked with a bunch of guys who used to be infantry men, either in the ADF or British Army (Even one dude who was a US Marine) most were pretty good colleagues and pretty professional. I've also worked with guys that have historic assault convictions doesn't make them bad colleagues, there's a big difference between sociopaths and somebody who's got into a bar fight.

Funnily enough I've worked with a sociopath (****ing awful bloke, dude was worse than cancer.) who was an army sniper. I've worked with a bunch of guys who used to be infantry men, either in the ADF or British Army (Even one dude who was a US Marine) most were pretty good colleagues and pretty professional. I've also worked with guys that have historic assault convictions doesn't make them bad colleagues, there's a big difference between sociopaths and somebody who's got into a bar fight.
Anecdotes vs proven science, which should one believe?

I once was told one plus one is actually three, so it must be true.

Anecdotes vs proven science, which should one believe?

I once was told one plus one is actually three, so it must be true.

Most sociopaths are pretty good at hiding it and only low functioning one will be picked up by a typical psyche screen (psychopaths are different) A former Royal Marine I worked with who definitely had sociopathic tendencies was weeded out during Police selection but that is a much more vigorous process than you'll get from a national service medical/induction programme.

Most sociopaths are pretty good at hiding it and only low functioning one will be picked up by a typical psyche screen (psychopaths are different) A former Royal Marine I worked with who definitely had sociopathic tendencies was weeded out during Police selection but that is a much more vigorous process than you'll get from a national service medical/induction programme.
What that has to do with convicted violent criminals getting rejected by the Finnish army I have no clue of. If you stab somebody because you can't control yourself under pressure, then you are not exactly hiding your tendencies.

The Finnish army uses quite different tents than they use in the US army, no personal tents like in US Army, but "half-platoon" (the special forces uses the smaller "sissi" tent meant for squads, but Lauri ain't going to the special forces). The reason is of course winter, as you have to be able to sleep outside in the tent even if it is -40 degrees or colder, and you have to be able to take care of your gear too (even guns tend to freeze down when it is cold enough). Each soldier has 245 cm (about 8ft) of space in the tent from the oven to the side of the tent, and without any gear 20 people sleep in the tent (with gear usually around 15); during Winter War horses were sometime brough in to the tents during the worst cold nights, so I think even Lauri might fit in.

The same tent model has been in use by the Finnish Army since 1920's, and pretty much similar material too (light brown coloured (these days camouflage colouredcoloured) sail canvas).

Halvplutonst%C3%A4lt.jpg

PJ-telttoja.jpg
This has quickly become the most informative thread on the forum.

thats a pretty strong generalization, one could only surmise was slow cooked from bad experiences.
I happen to know 3 red stamped bipolar sociopaths that were nothing like this and a couple that were unjustly being waxed because they stood up to their C.O. in private only to be made an example of even though one of them was clearly right and the CO tucked tail.
nevermind I am no doctor

thats a pretty strong generalization, one could only surmise was slow cooked from bad experiences.
Like I said, that is the practice of the Finnish Army, based on proven facts. Not based on a few bad experiences or other anecdotal stories of three friends of somebody. In fact, same practice is in effect at least with the Israel Army too, and they too have historical need for every able body in the Army, so apparently neither do they rely on anecdotal stories how some violent criminal really is just an ok guy after you *really* got to know him.

Like I said, that is the practice of the Finnish Army, based on proven facts. Not based on a few bad experiences or other anecdotal stories of three friends of somebody. In fact, same practice is in effect at least with the Israel Army too, and they too have historical need for every able body in the Army, so apparently neither do they rely on anecdotal stories how some violent criminal really is just an ok guy after you *really* got to know him.
You are not responding to what I was commenting on here clearly. I was responding to the suggestion that all sociopaths are bad for the Military as you implied. I don't know how anyone could know who is or isn't one however, though unless they are doing things against the grain a lot. Anyway, I agree with the idea that the Finnisher will want to serve in some fashion, but also wants no part of being the tallest target in a fire fight so he will be careful to select his service timeframe. I meant no offense with my opinions.

You are not responding to what I was commenting on here clearly.
You are not commenting on what was talked about. The Finnish Army rejects convicted violent criminals, to which somebody did wonder if they didn't make better soldiers, to which was brought up the fact such convicted sociopaths are extremely bad soldiers (and which has been proven over and over again since the Ancient times (Julius Ceaser in his book "The Gallic War" for example brings this fact up)) . That you then extrapolate the discussion to include all people with some social disorder (and pulling some anecdotal stories of some dude who really was a nice fellow after all) has nothing to do with the policy of the Finnish Army rejecting convicted violent criminals.

You are not commenting on what was talked about. The Finnish Army rejects convicted violent criminals, to which somebody did wonder if they didn't make better soldiers, to which was brought up the fact such convicted sociopaths are extremely bad soldiers (and which has been proven over and over again since the Ancient times (Julius Ceaser in his book "The Gallic War" for example brings this fact up)) . That you then extrapolate the discussion to include all people with some social disorder (and pulling some anecdotal stories of some dude who really was a nice fellow after all) has nothing to do with the policy of the Finnish Army rejecting convicted violent criminals.
nice