What's new

Lauri Markkanen's ceiling

The Fresh Prince

Is it dirty? Is it clean?

Seriously though, what it's this mans ceiling in the NBA? He has the range, he can create his shot. 6'11 and 25 years old, he's still young.

Could Lauri develop into a superstar? What's missing from his game to take that leap?

Seriously though, what it's this mans ceiling in the NBA? He has the range, he can create his shot. 6'11 and 25 years old, he's still young.

Could Lauri develop into a superstar? What's missing from his game to take that leap?
what is missing? honestly, an elite ability to create his own shot and create for others. pretty much every superstar is elite at getting his shot and is above average at creating for others. Lauri is decent, maybe even good at creating his own shot - he's not close to elite. he's never in his career shown an ability to create for teammates (though with an EXTREMELY small sample with the jazz he appears to be a tad improved there).

I would say he's potentially a #3 option on a deep playoff level team. He's a good finisher but would like to see him initiate the offense more especially if he's going to be playing SF. From the highlights this summer it appears he was doing some of that for his Finnish Eurobasket team.

I was a little concerned about his defense. Can he battle big boys for boards? Does he have enough lateral speed to challenge shots on the perimeter? Shot creation, athleticism, and ability to defend both the perimeter/paint is what distinguishes a future superstar like Mobley from a very good player like Lauri.

He's definitely an impressive physical specimen. Assuming he stays healthy he has a bright future even if he's near his ceiling at this point. At age 25 I don't think he's a finished product yet.

I have watched him in years past and he looked clumsy and slow. He could shoot but couldn't defend. I always saw him as a slower version of Kristaps Porzingis. But to be honest, I think Markaanen fits the mold of the 7'0' Small Forward pretty well. Holmgren comes to mind when I watch him now. If he had a bit more quickness and was used as the primary option he could be a light version of a past his prime Durant for 1/3rd the price. I am becoming a bigger fan every day.

Last edited:
I'd love to see Lauri take charge and be more aggressive, demand the ball at times. I think he's pretty clearly the most talented player on the roster, and he shouldn't be deferring to Clarkson, Sexton, Beasley or anyone else on offense, he should be our go-to guy.

I'd love to see Lauri take charge and be more aggressive, demand the ball at times. I think he's pretty clearly the most talented player on the roster, and he shouldn't be deferring to Clarkson, Sexton, Beasley or anyone else on offense, he should be our go-to guy.
I have been impressed with him. Moves his feet way better on defense than I thought. Competes pretty hard for rebounds and loose balls. I’d love to see what Kessler, Lauri 4/5 pairing with shooters and passers around them looks like. Kessler as a roll man is just way better than Vando rolling.

I think Lauri could score 25 a game if he got aggressive in the midrange. Not what you’d like to see ideally but that is where he seems to be able to create his own looks consistently.

In other news… it kinda sucks *** that we have landed Lauri, KO, Vando a year after we REALLY could have used them.

I have watched him in years past and he looked clumsy and slow. He could shoot but couldn't defend. I always saw him as a slower version of Kristaps Porzingis. But to be honest, I think Markaanen fits the mold of the 7'0' Small Forward pretty well. Holmgren comes to mind when I watch him now. If he had a bit more quickness and was used as the primary option he could be a light version of a past his prime Durant for 1/3rd the price. I am becoming a bigger fan every day.
I always thought Marvin Willoams could've been a superstar if he had the mentality to take over. Some of these NBA players are complacent with taking a backseat, and only stepping up when they feel the need to.

I like Lauri's game better than the Nuggets MPJ. Markkanen is more athletic, is just as good a shooter, more versatile on offense in creating his shot, a better rebounder, more versatile defender.

Markkanen is going to really develop with the consistent coaching that he can get here in Utah now.

Poor mans Bogdanovic