What's new

LDS General Conference Fall 2015

colton

All Around Nice Guy
Contributor
I'll be singing in the priesthood session choir tonight. Feel free to post how awesome we sound, or any other General Conference observations you might have.

Cool, good luck.

On a side note I'm disappointed in the new apostle choices. Talk about cookie cutter and embracing the stereotype. All 3 based in SLC...not a single foreigner or minority. Major missed opportunity.

I am so happy that God knows me and hears my white American of northern European origin prayers. How long until the other half of the church is represented and has a say in actual, meaningful leadership?

I am so happy that God knows me and hears my white American of northern European origin prayers. How long until the other half of the church is represented and has a say in actual, meaningful leadership?

And think of what a South American Latino could do for recruitment.

Why hog tie missionaries hands, give 'em a little ammo so they can sell the church to the people they are trying to sell the church to.

And think of what a South American Latino could do for recruitment.

Why hog tie missionaries hands, give 'em a little ammo so they can sell the church to the people they are trying to sell the church to.

Better call SAL... to the priesthood.

I'd have liked to see a Latino from South America, a black an from Africa and maybe a man from Japan of the Philippines.

Like GF said it would do wonders for those areas of the church. Not to mention the help I would give stateside members. Maybe Utah Mormons, generally speaking, would learn a little humility.

Hey Colton! I had a cousin in the choir as well tonight.

I was surprised by the men called. Though isn't the Quorom of the Seventy quite diverse?

Cool, good luck.

On a side note I'm disappointed in the new apostle choices. Talk about cookie cutter and embracing the stereotype. All 3 based in SLC...not a single foreigner or minority. Major missed opportunity.

agreed. saw this and thought this certainly doesnt help the perception that the LDS leadership is white, rich, and a good old boys club.

or any other General Conference observations you might have.

Thanks, Colton. I'll see if I can find some of the topics covered and see if I have any questions.

Also, as those stated in this thread, the apostles chosen do nothing to dispel the idea that the leaders of the church believe that only white folks know. It's 2015 and your church leadership hearkens back to the 1950's. But I also think it's great that there are so many in this thread who are miffed about the choices. That's a great sign. Do most members feel this way, who knows.

Could it be said that the leaders are insular and mostly surrounded by "like minded" individuals?

From what I've seen most thought at least one minority would be chosen. But almost universal acceptance of the choices which they see as inspired by God.

Does this mean that most members think only white people can be inspired by the almighty?

On the one hand, as an active member who has all sorts of issues with the culture within the church, I'm a little insulted at your generalization.

On the other, I'm not particularly mystified that you would see it that way.

While the church has taken some small steps of late to foster tolerance and inclusion, it's lost on a large segment of the membership who have been conditioned, over generations, to think in an exclusive fashion. It's particularly pronounced in Utah, where being a mormon doesn't put you in the minority.

Does this mean that most members think only white people can be inspired by the almighty?

I don't think so. It is frustrating that the church does not have a more diverse leadership, but the issue lies more in the past than in the current times. These guys have basically been being groomed to be apostles for at least a decade. There just aren't isn't a lot of diversity in the top levels yet, and it seems it will take some time for that to change. There are a lot of new members of the quorum of the seventy who are from somewhere other than utah or north america, but they have been called to that position relatively recently. It takes time for them to get the experience that others have just by virtue of being in the leadership positions longer.

Those are my thoughts. Maybe I am wrong, but in my mind the alternative is that the old dudes are still racist and they think God never changed his mind about black people.

No it doesn't. It means they believe these men were chosen by inspiration. If it had been 3 blacks they'd believe they were chosen by inspiration.

I thought Elder Bednar's talk at the end was powerful, talking about the final messages that had been given by the apostles who have passed away since he himself was called. Perhaps my favorite talk of the conference.

There were quite a few really good talks/topics.

Elder Hales - Challenges of today's world
Elder Holland - Mothers
Pres. Utchdorf - Be not afraid, only believe
Elder Renlund - Through God's eyes
Pres. Nelson - Sisters
Elder Schwitzer - Clarion Trumpet
Br. Durrant - Ponderize
Elder Bednar - Chosen

Those are my favorites off the top of my head. I may change my mind a bit after I read them again and let them sink in.

I didn't see you singing Colton. Maybe because I was looking for someone in a Jazzfanz t-shirt.

Renlund is going to be a fan favorite for disaffected mormons, similar to Uchtdorf, Eyring, Holland and Christofferson. It will be interesting to see who is called next time there are vacancies. With the health of Monson and Hales, we might have 2 or 3 new apostles next conference as well.

I don't think so. It is frustrating that the church does not have a more diverse leadership, but the issue lies more in the past than in the current times. These guys have basically been being groomed to be apostles for at least a decade. There just aren't isn't a lot of diversity in the top levels yet, and it seems it will take some time for that to change. There are a lot of new members of the quorum of the seventy who are from somewhere other than utah or north america, but they have been called to that position relatively recently. It takes time for them to get the experience that others have just by virtue of being in the leadership positions longer.

Those are my thoughts. Maybe I am wrong, but in my mind the alternative is that the old dudes are still racist and they think God never changed his mind about black people.
Good post/explanation