What's new

Lets Have the Lowest Possible salaries next year.

homeytennis

I for one see the writing on the wall and we are going to be major sucky next year. If that's goig to happen lets help Greg out by signing all the DLeague scrubs and team with the youngsters. If this works we get the first pick in next ear's draft and Greggy has saved major dollars.

I for one see the writing on the wall and we are going to be major sucky next year. If that's goig to happen lets help Greg out by signing all the DLeague scrubs and team with the youngsters. If this works we get the first pick in next ear's draft and Greggy has saved major dollars.
Can't really save money. At the end of the year, the difference between your actual payroll and the salary floor is divided among the players on the roster (if you're below the floor, that is).

I wonder if the FO told Favor's and Hayward's agent that if they extend for a lower amount the Jazz will sign minimal contracts and allow them to get a nice bonus at the end of next year??

Can't really save money. At the end of the year, the difference between your actual payroll and the salary floor is divided among the players on the roster (if you're below the floor, that is).

If you go only as high as the salary floor rather than spend the difference between that and the luxury tax, and any number higher than that, then you are saving money. I think that's what he is saying. I think the floor is something like 90% of the cap.

Your post does bring up something interesting. The Jazz could grease the wheels a little bit with the core four by going under the floor, there by giving more money to them. A way to say sorry, if you will.

I wonder if the FO told Favor's and Hayward's agent that if they extend for a lower amount the Jazz will sign minimal contracts and allow them to get a nice bonus at the end of next year??
This is a good one

Problem is it's split evenly as far as I can tell. $1mm more this season is only a $200,000 discount/yr on a 5 year contract. It would help, but I don't see them colluding over such a small amount. Plus, the Jazz are likely to match the salary the market sets, so the wink-wink discount would never be realized. It's a nice thought to entertain though, and has the added benefit of keeping these guys happier to be in Utah. I'd do it for that alone, especially since there really isn't **** worth getting that'll move the needle.

Problem is it's split evenly as far as I can tell. $1mm more this season is only a $200,000 discount/yr on a 5 year contract. It would help, but I don't see them colluding over such a small amount. Plus, the Jazz are likely to match the salary the market sets, so the wink-wink discount would never be realized. It's a nice thought to entertain though, and has the added benefit of keeping these guys happier to be in Utah. I'd do it for that alone, especially since there really isn't **** worth getting that'll move the needle.

The jazz have a chance to extend them before the market can decide their price... Let's hope it doesn't drag out like with Harding!!!

Y'all lost me at wanting us to have the lowest possible salaries next year. I'm a fan.. but that's a little too much 'take one for the team' for me.

You go to that buffet?

My thinking is that you've got the Core 4, Jeremy, Marvin, Murph, Junk Yard Dog and not sure about the DLeague from Marquette that never played. Add the three rookies that give you 12 bodies and I say add a couple of DLeague stiffs to make 14 and keep the salary as low as possible for the possibility of signing the Core 4 to extensions. Plus Marvin's contract is off the books next year so that money would be there to divie up.

The jazz have a chance to extend them before the market can decide their price... Let's hope it doesn't drag out like with Harding!!!

Do you think they will though? & would the agents say no if Favors and Hayward are improving and upping their values? Security is always nice but extending also costs them another year on the next deal.

And if one of them blows out their knee?

An NBA life is very, very short - if my agent told me to take that deal I'd fire him on the spot.

An NBA life is very, very short - if my agent told me to take that deal I'd fire him on the spot.

To show you can be competitive with dregs look at the Spurs roster with Aron Baynes and Patty Mills two Aussies. Baynes got cut by an European team and signed by San Antonio in January and Mills was not wanted by Portland. Hopefully the Core 4 will be like Parker, Duncan and Ginobli but the Spurs make it work.

It'll never happen.
The FO will resign virtually everyone.
Either Watson or Tinsley will walk to make room for rookie pg. Either Al or Paul will walk making room for rookie big. Foye will be back to keep us arguing how good Burks "might be with time".
We will look far too similar to last year...

Dude they still get their contract and money, it's just that they would get a nice bonus at the end of next season to make up for the lower contract!!!

Do you think they will though? & would the agents say no if Favors and Hayward are improving and upping their values? Security is always nice but extending also costs them another year on the next deal.

The jazz have an opportunity to extend Favors and Hayward this summer before oct. 31... So they wouldn't be improving thier value much over the summer.. Also here are the new rules for extending rookie contracts...

Rookie scale contract extensions:

Rookie scale contracts may be extended for up to four seasons beyond the last option season in the contract, bringing the total contract length to five seasons. Teams can also select one player (called their "Designated Player") who can receive a five-year extension, bringing the total contract length to six seasons. A team can have at most one player on its roster whom they have designated for a longer extension, plus at most one player designated by another team whom they acquired in trade.

Just because you have the worst record in the league doesn't mean you'll get the 1st pick in the darft.

Look at how 04-05 turned out.