What's new

LHM group trying to bring MLB to Utah

Apparently the A’s have struck some deal with Vegas to get a stadium built. Next, we need to get the stadium figured out in Tampa, and then MLB will look at expansion. Does a team in Vegas help or hurt Salt Lake’s chance at a team? That’s pretty damn close.

Apparently the A’s have struck some deal with Vegas to get a stadium built. Next, we need to get the stadium figured out in Tampa, and then MLB will look at expansion. Does a team in Vegas help or hurt Salt Lake’s chance at a team? That’s pretty damn close.
I certainly think it's close, but at least the way KSL is spinning it is that the league will look to expand with a team in the west and a team in the east, and that Vegas would have gotten a team before us, so that would leave it between us and Portland in the west. I think in some sense you could argue that Vegas is too close to this market, but then on the other hand I don't know that things like the Golden Knights or Raiders have really made any ground here.

If this is what the LHM group is thinking a stadium for MLB would have to be a 50,000 plus seating field plus sufficient parking
That would be a 500 mil plus type expense

What other areas would be better? This area is cheap and areas that could be developed without tearing a ton down. Its very close to downtown and really close to the airport, it is supposed to be getting good public transportation that is already needed in the area. SLC needs to grow this direction anyways and it would improve the area.
My experience going to pro baseball games has been with coworkers in the city that my company is headquartered - we go to a game and spend the whole day downtown near the stadium. I think having a strong area surrounding a stadium is a must and adds to the experience during the time of year where people want to be outside. The accessibility of that site is its greatest strength - but like another poster stated, it would be people coming in and out of that area just to watch a game without much lingering. I doubt that they’ll ever develop the surrounding area enough to allow for that. I personally think the prison site in Draper would be the best - 600 acres of mixed housing, retail, and commercial space that focuses on green space and such.

My experience going to pro baseball games has been with coworkers in the city that my company is headquartered - we go to a game and spend the whole day downtown near the stadium. I think having a strong area surrounding a stadium is a must and adds to the experience during the time of year where people want to be outside. The accessibility of that site is its greatest strength - but like another poster stated, it would be people coming in and out of that area just to watch a game without much lingering. I doubt that they’ll ever develop the surrounding area enough to allow for that. I personally think the prison site in Draper would be the best - 600 acres of mixed housing, retail, and commercial space that focuses on green space and such.
I agree with the first part of what you said. Downtown would be the best but it's not really possible. Draper is literally the opposite of that. It's really far from downtown and very far from the airport and generally a pretty meh area. I think they could easily develop the proposed area into something nicer. I've spent time over there and it's not bad. It's also minutes from downtown so it's easy to bounce back and forth especially with public transportation. Basically like the Jazz arena which technically downtown but kind of away from the fun parts of downtown but easy enough to get to.

I agree with the first part of what you said. Downtown would be the best but it's not really possible. Draper is literally the opposite of that. It's really far from downtown and very far from the airport and generally a pretty meh area. I think they could easily develop the proposed area into something nicer. I've spent time over there and it's not bad. It's also minutes from downtown so it's easy to bounce back and forth especially with public transportation. Basically like the Jazz arena which technically downtown but kind of away from the fun parts of downtown but easy enough to get to.
Just to be clear, this is the site I’m referring to: https://thepointutah.org/phase-1-development-plan

That’s the development plan for 1/6 of the space there, if they’re actually able to execute on that vision then I think it would be a far better location than what is proposed.

The smokestacks are pretty hated, but man it would make the stadium instantly recognizable. Branding!
I used to like the Murray smokestacks because I grew up with those always being there and because it was a landmark for orientation. These are just… awful. It’s like when it was called Energy Solutions Arena, except way worse.