What's new

Lockout is OVER!!! NBA is back according to sources

My point is that this was suppose to be about making the league more competitive for small market teams and it turned into money grab and possibly an amnesty system that favors large market teams with money to bid on amnesty players.

It is always about the money!! Stern was just using that as an excuse when talks failed. In the end the NBA is about making money. It is only the fans who care about the game.

I think there's a lot of things that could benefit the Jazz:

* Luxury Tax heavy penalties after year 3 of the agreement. AND the extra hit if the teams pay the LT 4 out of 5 years.
* Teams more than $4M over the LT get their MLE reduced by 1 year in length and to almost half in value.
* Bird player's raises are more than double the raises a player can get on the market. That enhances player's sticking with one team.
* Raises in contracts have been significantly reduced making them more in touch with inflation. (altough the 7.5% raise in Bird contracts seems still excessive).
* The Jazz have only 4 contracts in the books by the time the new LT rules set in. Not only that but I believe I read the Jazz will be debt free by next year (on the arena deal). Revenue sharing that isn't on the CBA is said to be increasing at least 3 fold. That puts the Jazz in position to move forward very well. About as well as any team.

Now consider Dallas that will have a 3 Year contract starting at $3M to sign Chandler and JJ Barea. They will have to amnesty Haywood and get Chandler's contract into that slot.

It sounds like the Jazz can have a contract with some player for 12 million a year, waive him, still pay him the 12 million, and the guy can go play for the Lakers or Miami for 2 million.

I believe that of the player signs with the Lakers for $2M the Jazz would have to pay him $12M - $2M = $10M.

But this kind of move would be a one time thing set to help teams in financial needs.

https://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7287323/nba-season-run-dec-25-april-26-source-says

Says every team will play 3 games in 3 nights at least once, at most 3 times for some. This is crazy. A loss can almost be guaranteed on the third night.

It'd be nice if a team on a third B2B played another team on a third B2B. I doubt it. I could see the Jazz playing the Heat in Miami on a third game in three nights while the heat come off a couple days rest since their last home game. That's how it usually seems to work.

Also, I'm going to have to put Kenneth Farried in the potential ROY talks, only because Denver is going to be missing Martin and Chandler. He is going to have a lot of minutes and rebounds.

Also, I'm going to have to put Kenneth Farried in the potential ROY talks, only because Denver is going to be missing Martin and Chandler. He is going to have a lot of minutes and rebounds.

If he gets the minutes, he'll get his share of rebounds and blocks .. though I think ROY is a stretch.

What do you think Knight will average (minutes) this year? If he gets the minutes he could be in the talks as well ..

Ugh, I hate how the NBA always make their schedule unnecessarily complicated. The regular season is going to last 124 days, there are 66 games, and they say that every team will have to play three-in-a-row at least once. Really? With 66 games in 124 days, you could just about make a schedule where a team barely has to play any back-to-backs, but they figure they have to do triple-headers.

But no, TV must dictate schedule and teams must go on lengthy road trips because a circus or Stars on Ice has occupied their arena.

Ugh, I hate how the NBA always make their schedule unnecessarily complicated. The regular season is going to last 124 days, there are 66 games, and they say that every team will have to play three-in-a-row at least once. Really? With 66 games in 124 days, you could just about make a schedule where a team barely has to play any back-to-backs, but they figure they have to do triple-headers.

But no, TV must dictate schedule and teams must go on lengthy road trips because a circus or Stars on Ice has occupied their arena.

And some teams refuse to have home games on Sunday. NBA is sort of hamstrung when it comes to scheduling. No way arenas are open for every other day games. Not only do you have long occupiers, but they have three day concerts, NHL teams, NCAA tournament games, NCAA conference tournament games, conventions, etc. NBA will do three in a row out of necessity.

they could delay start of playoff some.

everyyear we wait a long time between confernece finals and finals.
they could delay 1st 2nd round and wcf/ecf.

thus shortening the wiat between game during playoff

they could delay start of playoff some.

everyyear we wait a long time between confernece finals and finals.
they could delay 1st 2nd round and wcf/ecf.

thus shortening the wiat between game during playoff

Delaying the start of it a week with it ending around the same time.

Can't delay the end, really, because it's an Olympic year.

What do you think Knight will average (minutes) this year? If he gets the minutes he could be in the talks as well ..

Should get 20, don't you think? I imagine they'll experiment around a lot with him and Stuckey at the 1/2.

If what I am reading is correct. This deal does very little for the Jazz. What happen to the small market teams getting together to make the league more competitive? Other then a few minor salary cap changes I don't see anything that helps with that cause. So it looks like this was just a money grab by the owners.

That's exactly what I thought when I red a bit through the new deal. Other then the new tax rules there is nothing at all that favours small market teams. How on earth did they accept to keep the MLE around?