What's new

Lockout!!!

I support the player's rights to live in any European city of their choosing, if they want to play basketball for a living. If they decide they'd rather live in America, I also support their rights to work as janitors or garbage men.
Well said. And if this lasts >1 year, how many do you think will be wearing orange jumpsuits because they've needed to replace their incomes with the only work they can find.

Unions may also drive out business. I used to work for a company that organized tradeshows. We moved one of our biggest events out of New York due to the labor idiocy at the convention center. Companies basically can't even load a dolly with show brochures or office supplies. If you can't carry it in your arms, then it's considered "freight" and you have to pay (and WAIT and WAIT) for a union worker to come over with HIS dolly and roll it into the center for an exorbitant fee. And forget about changing a light bulb in your booth. That requires a certified electrician.

The labor unions (and complaints by our customers) made us decide to move another big event out of Chicago. Fortunately, a few years later the city took on the unions at the convention center and my company (well, former company) moved the shows back this year. Unions have a place, but they often become so big and corrupt that a major cleansing has to take place.

Having dealt with unions at trade shows I hear you. My company couldn't even hook a garden hose to a spigot without a union plumber present. $150.00 just to hook a hose up and then unhook it. The 30 minutes while we were using it he played on his cell phone. Wish I made $300.00 an hour to text!

Oh, I forgot to mention that it took 24 hours notice to get the *** there to hook the hose up...

I support the player's rights to live in any European city of their choosing, if they want to play basketball for a living. If they decide they'd rather live in America, I also support their rights to work as janitors or garbage men.

....excellent observation! In fact, I would be in favor of giving those ridiculous NBA salaries to the garbage men and school teachers who really deserve it!

I'm getting more and more sad at how this is playing out. I WANT MY JAZZ BASKETBALL! It makes me want to get a life size effigy of carolinajazz, tat it up, punch it in the face, book it into county jail so the inmates can have their way with it, then burn it and burn the ashes.

NBA reaction to NBAPU decertification: NBA COULD VOID EXISTING CONTRACTS.

https://eye-on-basketball.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22748484/33304567

This would be the worst news yet for Jazz fanz. Cause if the existing contracts are gone it won't matter if the players or the owners win the labor battle, Jazz will lose. Jazz would have to start over with a young unproven coaching staff trying to attract free agents to come. It would take years to recover.

This would be the worst news yet for Jazz fanz. Cause if the existing contracts are gone it won't matter if the players or the owners win the labor battle, Jazz will lose. Jazz would have to start over with a young unproven coaching staff trying to attract free agents to come. It would take years to recover.

I would definitely be tuning out at that point.

I really doubt it is going to go down to the worst possible scenario like that. I'm sure each side is just trying to bluff as much as possible. For instance, the owners offered a 50% deal, but said if they didn't accept it they would go down to 47%. Why would they do that? Why just not offer the 47% right off the bat if you are through negotiating? Probably to scare the players into taking a bad deal and void the threat of decertification.

The players respond by saying we are going to decertify, to try and scare the owners into making a better deal.

Owners say respond with "If you try this **** it's is only going to get worse for y'all!". (Wouldn't they want this though if that was true? It appears to me most owners are perfectly fine sitting out the entire season if it means a more favorable deal for the next 10 years.)

So basically it seems to me it will just be a giant pissing match to see who caves first. I doubt the process of decertification will see itself out (though it could, both sides seem very stubborn). Neither side wants to go through this much trouble because I don't think either side is certain the outcome will favor them.

Actually, they are being forced to not play in the league. It's a lockout, not a strike. The owner can go wityout any CBA, if they so choose.

I hate this argument. Yes, it's a lockout, not a strike, but it's not as if the owners have shut the doors, and sat in a cone of silence unwilling to engage the players. They have given them multiple offers and the players have CHOSE to not accept them and go back to work. It would be the same thing as if my boss came to me and said, sorry, but in order for you to work here we're going to have change things up. If you are not OK with the changes, you are free to look for work somewhere else.

I really doubt it is going to go down to the worst possible scenario like that. I'm sure each side is just trying to bluff as much as possible. For instance, the owners offered a 50% deal, but said if they didn't accept it they would go down to 47%. Why would they do that? Why just not offer the 47% right off the bat if you are through negotiating? Probably to scare the players into taking a bad deal and void the threat of decertification.

The players respond by saying we are going to decertify, to try and scare the owners into making a better deal.

Owners say respond with "If you try this **** it's is only going to get worse for y'all!". (Wouldn't they want this though if that was true? It appears to me most owners are perfectly fine sitting out the entire season if it means a more favorable deal for the next 10 years.)

So basically it seems to me it will just be a giant pissing match to see who caves first. I doubt the process of decertification will see itself out (though it could, both sides seem very stubborn). Neither side wants to go through this much trouble because I don't think either side is certain the outcome will favor them.

I agree with Stern when he said that this was nothing more than a negotiating tactic (albeit ill-timed). Players don't want this thing to go to court anymore than the owners do. It was the only tactic they could use to swing back at the owners. It very well could slow down this process to a grinding halt, but there's also a chance that it could speed it up as well. Time will tell.

Billy Hunter announced that the union was rejecting the NBA's latest offer and is disclaiming interest because it believes that the bargaining process has broken down.

This action means that the union is no longer the representative of the players as a bargaining unit. The players will now be free to file anti-trust actions against the NBA and its owners.
Billy Hunter sold the players on a plan that keeps him relevant and keeps him on his $2.5 million salary to be in charge of the court battle.

Keeping Hunter also gives the NBA a better probability of convincing a judge that the players' are participating in a phony negotiating tactic.

https://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_...w-wojnarowski_nba_labor_players_owners_111511

I think this clearly means the players have no intention of having this play out in the courts. They're going all in on assuming the owners don't really want to miss the season. I have mixed feelings. I'm so fed up with this bull **** that part of me wants to see this blow up in their face.

Is there a more clear-cut pile of **** (in a garbage can, pulsating with maggots) in this saga than Billy Hunter?

Is it possible that they could choose to retain some contracts, and void such contracts as CJ Miles and Raja Bell?