What's new

Game Thread Mar 12, 2022 08:00PM MT: Jazz vs. Kings

Added to Calendar: 03-12-22

You don’t justify using one stat by saying that using any one stat is bad. Using it to support the argument that he is 90% of Rudy is not the use for this. The use is to literally know team performance when he is on the court, not individual impact. Team performance while on the court is not remotely close to individual impact.
What are you talking about? Where is this 90% of Rudy coming from? I have not used this stat in any way you have said. I think you are having an argument with yourself. I leave you to it.

What are you talking about? Where is this 90% of Rudy coming from? I have not used this stat in any way you have said. I think you are having an argument with yourself. I leave you to it.

Literally the post you replied to when you supplied the stat. When people reply to a post with a stat that supports that post, I typically assume they are posting that stat to support the post. My bad I guess….regardless of the 90% thing. ORTG on its own is a horrible way to evaluate individual impact, and it is not justified by acknowledging that it is flawed.

Literally the post you replied to when you supplied the stat. When people reply to a post with a stat that supports that post, I typically assume they are posting that stat to support the post. My bad I guess….regardless of the 90% thing. ORTG on its own is a horrible way to evaluate individual impact, and it is not justified by acknowledging that it is flawed.

Just to keep the dialog alive

Player A) 16.4p | 15.4r | 3.0b | 23.3reb% | 7.2blk% | +11.1 net rtg

Player B) 17.4p | 16.6r | 2.5b | 25.1reb% | 6.0blk% | +9.4 net rtg

Who you taking? Keep in mind one of them is making 35 million, and 46M in a couple years (which, to be frank, is preventing the team from signing the versatile wings they need) while other is making 2 million (an unbelievable bargain)

Hate away, but if you’re gonna have a player take up 46M of your cap, it better be a Lebron, Giannis, Durant type. Otherwise you’re stuck with glaring holes you can’t patch because there’s no money left. I’m not sure we’d be significantly worse with Hassan playing gobert’s role and swapping Gobert’s albatross contract for a Grant, Brown, Middleton type player. Certainly more versatile if anything.

Just to keep the dialog alive

Player A) 16.4p | 15.4r | 3.0b | 23.3reb% | 7.2blk% | +11.1 net rtg

Player B) 17.4p | 16.6r | 2.5b | 25.1reb% | 6.0blk% | +9.4 net rtg

Who you taking? Keep in mind one of them is making 35 million, and 46M in a couple years (which, to be frank, is preventing the team from signing the versatile wings they need) while other is making 2 million (an unbelievable bargain)

Hate away, but if you’re gonna have a player take up 46M of your cap, it better be a Lebron, Giannis, Durant type. Otherwise you’re stuck with glaring holes you can’t patch because there’s no money left. I’m not sure we’d be significantly worse with Hassan playing gobert’s role and swapping Gobert’s albatross contract for a Grant, Brown, Middleton type player. Certainly more versatile if anything.

Player A

EPM: 4.5
RAPTOR 6.5
LEBRON : 4.85

Player B

EPM: 2.1
RAPTOR: 3.6
LEBRON: 2.69

All of these numbers are much more thorough for the purpose you are intending. Yeah, you don't want to pay $46M for Gobert when Giannis gets paid the same. But this is the NBA, and you don't just get to pay Giannis or Jokic because you want to. If you have Whiteside and no Gobert, the Jazz aren't a playoff team. There are no holes to patch because the team isn't even competitive. Fact is, it's incredibly difficult for the Jazz to spend that money better than Gobert....and when we talk about this in opportunity cost terms instead of pure money terms, there is no debate. If the Jazz got pure cap for Gobert (impossible, but let's go with it), the Jazz don't get a better player than Gobert and they don't get several players that are more valuable than Gobert. In a best case scenario, you get something like Conley and Clarkson. Those two are not moving the needle more than Gobert. It's not close. The idea that we'd be better with Grant is hysterical. Not even worth having that conversation.

HH was absolutely right about Whiteside this year. From his success, to the inevitable dumb conversations that would follow.

Player A

EPM: 4.5
RAPTOR 6.5
LEBRON : 4.85

Player B

EPM: 2.1
RAPTOR: 3.6
LEBRON: 2.69

All of these numbers are much more thorough for the purpose you are intending. Yeah, you don't want to pay $46M for Gobert when Giannis gets paid the same. But this is the NBA, and you don't just get to pay Giannis or Jokic because you want to. If you have Whiteside and no Gobert, the Jazz aren't a playoff team. There are no holes to patch because the team isn't even competitive. Fact is, it's incredibly difficult for the Jazz to spend that money better than Gobert....and when we talk about this in opportunity cost terms instead of pure money terms, there is no debate. If the Jazz got pure cap for Gobert (impossible, but let's go with it), the Jazz don't get a better player than Gobert and they don't get several players that are more valuable than Gobert. In a best case scenario, you get something like Conley and Clarkson. Those two are not moving the needle more than Gobert. It's not close. The idea that we'd be better with Grant is hysterical. Not even worth having that conversation.

HH was absolutely right about Whiteside this year. From his success, to the inevitable dumb conversations that would follow.

Nah, i'm proposing we dont pay **anyone** 46M unless they are those guys (which we wont get). And in this hypothetical you're not painting the full picture. Whiteside without Gobert, but not replacing Gobert with anything? Yeah we might be a little worse, but the Jazz did go 5-0 with Whiteside, once DM returned with Rudy still out, so its beyond either of us to say that we would be definitively terrible like you're painting it...

The full picture is that it would be going from Gobert starter minutes, backup Whiteside minutes, and no dynamic wings, to ---> Whiteside starter minutes, Jerami Grant with a solid backup wing or PF to match Gobert's cap space and appeal, and grab one of the many centers playing for pennies to take up space. Not as clear cut which team is definitively better at that point, but its not night and day like you act lol. And we are certainly more versatile, pending matchups with some flexibility with dynamic wings and still a center that plays in a similar (albeit slightly less effective) style to Gobert for 5% (literally) of his cost. Having a third of our cap spent on someone like Gobert will always give us holes we can't patch, period.

Anyway, I think you may take this stuff way too seriously mate.