What's new

Game Thread Mar 14, 2021 02:00PM MT: Jazz at Warriors

Added to Calendar: 03-14-21

Well deserved loss after the atrocious start and lack of d from everyone not named rudy. People not staying in front of their man and having Rudy save their *** is great until Favors comes in. He just gets destroyed. We have to change our scheme and play better man on man when Rudy goes out. We are working toward proving the national narrative that we're not that good as of late.

Geez the negativity in this thread would make one think we are 10-28. I still believe in this team. The sky hasn’t fallen.... yet. So let’s not get too carried away with the negativity.
They are 2-4 in their last six. Their two wins were against the Orlando Magic and the most depleted roster in the NBA (who they had to play to the buzzer at home). One of the losses came to a certifiable non-playoff team. And the Warriors might not make the playoffs either.

It's time to be worried.

Golden State shot the ball extremely well, and the Jazz's defense was soft for much of the game.

Can't blame Rudy though -- 24 pts, 28 rebs, and 4 blocks. Geez.
Rudy is pretty much always satisfactory at his worst. Rarely is Rudy the problem in a game. So consistent and good a what he does.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

The defense is the problem not the offense. Defense is effort and desire. Look at the plus=minus. The players with the worse are the issue. Mitchell is talking games. The Utah rep issue is getting to his head imo.

To be honest though, I’m more concerned about our lack of a killer instinct on offense. We get it back to one point down and everybody’s like I don’t want to shoot it , you shoot it! Clarkson needs to be playing more clutch minutes and doing more iso in clutch time IMO. Only guy on this team without a conscience imo.
Well both are issues but usually when we go on runs it's driven by increased intensity on D. And frankly, against teams with players like curry we are not going to win in a shoot-out. We'll win by clamping down on D.

To be honest though, I’m more concerned about our lack of a killer instinct on offense. We get it back to one point down and everybody’s like I don’t want to shoot it , you shoot it! Clarkson needs to be playing more clutch minutes and doing more iso in clutch time IMO. Only guy on this team without a conscience imo.
I was looking at this myself. Hes limited to 25mins after that he runs out of gas. Will chuck 95% of his shots. But I would love to see Quin tweak the rotation a bit because dm will get the opponents best defensive guy late.

Brantley should take over some favors minutes. Oni take some boogie minutes.

Also where is ersan?

Just logging in and just watched the game so not sure what you guys have been talking about but damn, Bogie was atrocious. The turnovers were bad enough, and the poor shooting, but what really chaps my hide is passing up open looks. Same for Jingles.

The +/- is interesting in this one:

Conley +9
Rudy +11
Clarkson +6
Niang +14

Bogie -24
Don -26
Faves -23
Jingles -9
Royce -18
Our second unit lineup is legit. Every time they play it seems they can erase a 10 point lead (or drop a 12 point lead) in minutes. They always counter whatever momentum the other team is building.

28 might be a Jazz single game record. I seem to remember the record was 27. Don't know who held it.
It is the single game record for the jazz. The previous was 27 by truck robinson.

it’s weird that people are attacking favors when our starting 3 routinely gets 7 or fewer points. Royce played 31 mins yesterday and scored 3 pts on 1-4 shooting. In our last 3 losses he’s averaging:

33 mins 30 % FG 6 pts.

But sure, favors Udoka or something something.

Bogie and Royce are far greater concerns and I think it’s pretty obvious why.

Last edited:
it’s weird that people are attacking favors when our starting 3 routinely gets 7 or fewer points. Royce played 31 mins yesterday and scored 3 pts on 1-4 shooting. In our last 3 losses he’s averaging:

33 mins 30 % FG 6 pts.

But sure, favors Udoka or something something.

Bogie and Royce are far greater concerns and I think it’s pretty obvious why.
Because defense is our main problem mostly when Conley and Gobert are on the bench. Since the end of February, most of our opponents have scored 120-130pts.

Before end of february :
OFFRTG : 117 DEFRTG:107
Since :
OFFRTG :115 DEFRTG:115

Last edited:
Because defense is our main problem mostly when Conley and Gobert are on the bench. Since the end of February, most of our opponents have scored 120-130pts.

Before end of february :
OFFRTG : 117 DEFRTG:107
Since :
OFFRTG :115 DEFRTG:115
Yeah, the poor offense is contributing to the poor defense. When all you do is get stripped on drives (bogie) or shoot bricks (Royce) you feed the other team’s offense.
We already don’t generate many turnovers. But the inefficient offense is contributing to our poor defense. Even Mitchell and Clarkson seem like inefficient Melo like offensive players.

But the glaring weakness is the poor production we’re getting from our 3/4 positions.

I was looking at this myself. Hes limited to 25mins after that he runs out of gas. Will chuck 95% of his shots. But I would love to see Quin tweak the rotation a bit because dm will get the opponents best defensive guy late.

Brantley should take over some favors minutes. Oni take some boogie minutes.

Also where is ersan?
I agree, love to see me some Ersan right now! I assume it’s because he’s still learning the system and not because he’s out of shape.

He is a good role player. We have 4 ball handlers (Mike, DM, Joe, JC). We need someone who doesn't want to ball but can shoot and defend. Royce does this very well but it's unfair to expect him to defend long wingmens like Lebron, Kawhi, Giannis in a 7 game series. I agree with that. The guy is 6'4. That's why I think we need a big athletic wing who can shoot and defend.

I agree we need someone who is just there to feed the other guys. I love his selfish play.

At some point we have to be real though. Is he really good enough to help against the best in the NBA?

Do we want to be good, or do we want to be great? Its a fair question and some hard truths might have to be accepted

i hope the Jazz can right the ship but they have looked bad lately. Giving up 131 pts is embarrassing no matter how you look at it. The defense has been terrible except for Rudy. I am worried about Bogie and his wrist being healthy. He has really struggled this year. I do not know if Favors is hurt but he looks like an old man out there and his defense stats are horrible. The Jazz are going to struggle in the playoffs if Royce and Bogey and Favors do not step it up. The turnovers have also been a problem. The lack of effort is perplexing because guys should be rested. Oh well on to Boston.