What's new

Mathews and Deron?

IAWTP. I don't know why anybody thinks DW would be a good mentor. Please point to a single shred of evidence.

edit: I just saw the posts above where people are saying that Deron may have changed and may have learned some lessons. That is speculation. I have not seen any evidence of that. Does anybody have any? And even if he has changed, what makes you think he would be willing to mentor others?

Has anyone seen what his coach and former teammates have said about the guy. He has no leadership in him.

Wins take care of everything and never forget it. Hayward would have been painted as a DWill level douche had DL not matched that max offer.
Lebron was the most hated man in Ohio....until he came back.
DWill is still a top 15 PG at +5 warp compared to 0 for Exum. That is a massive upgrade.
The fact Exum showed no improvement from summer league to the end of the season (9 months) scares me. Do we really expect him to be much better in just 6 months?

Wins take care of everything and never forget it. Hayward would have been painted as a DWill level douche had DL not matched that max offer.
Lebron was the most hated man in Ohio....until he came back.
DWill is still a top 15 PG at +5 warp compared to 0 for Exum. That is a massive upgrade.
The fact Exum showed no improvement from summer league to the end of the season (9 months) scares me. Do we really expect him to be much better in just 6 months?

Yes

IAWTP. I don't know why anybody thinks DW would be a good mentor. Please point to a single shred of evidence.

edit: I just saw the posts above where people are saying that Deron may have changed and may have learned some lessons. That is speculation. I have not seen any evidence of that. Does anybody have any? And even if he has changed, what makes you think he would be willing to mentor others?

True...it's pure speculation (as I prefaced in my post), but I think Deron is one of those players that thrives in the "big fish in a little pond" scenario. Dwight Howard is another example of a player that couldn't really handle the pressure of the "Big City" when he left Orlando for LA. Kevin Garnett is one of the biggest assholes to ever play in the NBA, but he has now embraced the role as a "mentor" in his return to Minnesota. Why couldn't the same thing pan out for the Jazz & Dwill? That's all I'm saying.

I think it's funny that some want Matthews and Deron back, when letting Matthews go is what led to Deron wanting out.

Depends on price point. For the same price, I would rather have Williams. Prior to his injury Matthews was going to get a bigger contract than what Deron would get if entering free agency.

Shaking your what?
dreads, or dread locks

tumblr_m6c4x82iMb1r6xrn3o1_500.gif

Why even bother throwing a comma in such a sentence? That's like throwing a major triad in a Schoenberg piece.
I don't know about that, but there are some people on this site who could use some second grade spelling lessons. "Hear," not "here."

https://nypost.com/2015/05/30/nets-letter-hints-ominously-about-2-of-their-big-3/

Letter to Nets season ticket holders makes no mention of D-Will or Joe Johnson, so speculation is that they are both on their way out of Brooklyn. If either or both get waived, bought out, or amnestied, I wouldn't mind bringing either to Utah for a vet minimum deal or something in that ballpark. Joe Johnson would fit in well as the starting shooting guard and his personality easily allows him to mesh well. He wouldn't over shadow Hayward in any way as the team leader.

D-Will would be more of a sentimental return. Last season, he showed flashes of his old self, so I would hope he could do that more consistently. Either way, he could be a mentor to Burke and Exum that neither have really had. Could play on the floor with either of them as the 2 or the 1. I also think it would be interesting for him and Hayward to have a roll reversal, as I still recall him getting furious with Hayward when GH would make a mistake. Now it is GH's team, so D-Will would have to fall in line.

Sadly, if Utah could only take one, I think Joe Johnson would probably be the better fit.

I've been saying this for awhile, but I'd bet Deron gets stretched or bought out. I think he'd be a steal at the mid level exception. He's still a very good player that has a family who lives here. Bring him back. He'd fit in well in Snyder's system.

I'll proclaim this plan until it doesn't happen:

Trade Burke, Booker and #12 to GS for Lee, Barnes and a future pick. Sign Deron to the mid level exception.

Exum/Deron/Cotton
Hayward/Burks/Millsap
Barnes/Hood/Ingles
Favors/Lee/Barnes
Gobert/Favors/another big body

That team wins 55+ next year. Length, shooting, athleticism, depth. That's a great team.