What's new

Matthews: Jazz never made me an offer. I would have accepted less.

Jazz played the game. Let the market decide. And he said he "might" take it. Not would have.

The Borat/aint War just took a new turn. Before it starts, I will say this: KOC should NOT have been negotiating with Wes prior to the FA period. There was no reason to bid against ourselves. The goal, as with every player, is to get them to sign for the least amount of money. You can't know what the least amount of money is if you don't subject yourself to the risk of the market. When the market came back with a number that was much higher than KOC valued Wes at, there wasn't anything to do.

"Matthews said that, had the Jazz made a "fair'' offer even if it was for less than the mid-level exception, he might have immediately re-signed with Utah before testing the market. He believed the Jazz were surprised he was able to land such a hefty offer sheet."

Many speculated that the jazz made the wrong move by not offering him something. I think that this shows that was true. Bell is still a good alternative, but Wes at something like 4 for 16 may have been possible.

The Borat/aint War just took a new turn. Before it starts, I will say this: KOC should NOT have been negotiating with Wes prior to the FA period. There was no reason to bid against ourselves. The goal, as with every player, is to get them to sign for the least amount of money. You can't know what the least amount of money is if you don't subject yourself to the risk of the market. When the market came back with a number that was much higher than KOC valued Wes at, there wasn't anything to do.

Agreed. And Matthews said "I'm sure the offer would have been fair, and I might have accepted." Matthews idea of fair is probably not even close to what our idea of fair is.

It would be nice to hear what figures he would have actually accepted. Something tells me it wasn't much less than the 33.4 million he was signed for. Sorry Wes, this was a business decision and we are glad you made your money. We couldn't afford another bad contract. Good luck in Portland.

Im pissed that we could have offered him and probably got him for a lot less. Sounded like he really wanted to stay. Hopefully we still get a Brewer/Barnes/Brown

I can't believe he is gone. This will be a mistake. The guy is going to blow up in the coming years, just you see. Mark these words of mine, gents and lady.

I can't believe he is gone. This will be a mistake. The guy is going to blow up in the coming years, just you see. Mark these words of mine, gents and lady.

I don't know about that one, I think he is a product of the system here in Utah. I might be wrong, but to match that offer from Portland would be wrong.

It sucks that he's gone but I thought I read some where that he wasn't going to take less money just to be loyal.