What's new

Game Thread May 10, 2021 08:00PM MT: Jazz at Warriors

Added to Calendar: 05-10-21

It seems like rebounding has cost us a lot of close games late, not just this year, but over the last several years. I decided to look it up (https://www.nba.com/stats/teams/clutch-advanced/) and sure enough...

Total DRB%:
2017-18: 3rd
2018-19: 1st
2019-20: 6th
2020-21: 2nd

Clutch DRB%:
2017-18: 24th
2018-19: 25th
2019-20: 7th
2020-21: 26th

How come for three of the last four seasons we go from a top 3 rebounding team to a bottom-tier rebounding team in the clutch?

Game was fun and weird... kept telling my niece about the JC roller coaster... you have to go through some downs to enjoy the ups. Looked like he was fouled on the third to last possession. I wasn’t super bummed about the loss since I thought we were toast at the end of three. That stupid *** half court shot ended up being pretty important... sucks.

It seems like rebounding has cost us a lot of close games late, not just this year, but over the last several years. I decided to look it up (https://www.nba.com/stats/teams/clutch-advanced/) and sure enough...

Total DRB%:
2017-18: 3rd
2018-19: 1st
2019-20: 6th
2020-21: 2nd

Clutch DRB%:
2017-18: 24th
2018-19: 25th
2019-20: 7th
2020-21: 26th

How come for three of the last four seasons we go from a top 3 rebounding team to a bottom-tier rebounding team in the clutch?
Teams are allowed to foul the **** out of Gobert at the end of games?

Maybe, teams are taking a lot of long 3s that have long erratic rebounds. Or most likely, end of game situations are generally a lot of luck and random. Thats why a clutch team one year can be the bottom the next with the same lineup.

Ill gladly take 2nd in rebounding overall and 26th in the clutch over switching those numbers or being and lower than 2 on that list.

What are you smoking?

He was playing denial on Curry and he got smoked. If you want to blame that defensive possession on someone it's either Rudy for not securing the rebound or Bogey for running at Kevon Looney at the 3pt line then not getting back into the play to help out on the Steph/Dray 2-man action leaving Royce on an island.
Eh, Andy Larsen touched on it as well.

I think he just panicked and got super aggressive anticipating the screen. But it's Steph, so it's easier said than done to stay composed, and you're right that it was basically a total-team effort to botch that defensive possession.

Eh, Andy Larsen touched on it as well.

I think he just panicked and got super aggressive anticipating the screen. But it's Steph, so it's easier said than done to stay composed, and you're right that it was basically a total-team effort to botch that defensive possession.

Ingles was so lazy on that play. He didnt try at all for the rebound. Then he didnt come to help at all when Steph Clearly had the step on Royce and an open 3. You have to jump over and make him pass that. You know Steph isnt missing two in a row, especially wide open like that.

Gobert is getting pushed in the back but he needs to be more physical and box out better and come up with that. But that was a bad bounce.

Its too bad, there were so many little things this game we could have done and we would have won. I thought we did a great job on Steph. He shot fairly poorly and we contested his shots well.

One big difference is that Golden State ran their starters a lot more than us and only played 8 guys. All of our starters were in the positive. Our bench got beat up by their starters.

Bummer.. I am impressed that they showed character and came back but the result hurts. And of course we forced Steph to play heavy minutes and their scrubs were hitting everything so tonight they will be bricking against the Phoenix..

Ingles was so lazy on that play. He didnt try at all for the rebound. Then he didnt come to help at all when Steph Clearly had the step on Royce and an open 3. You have to jump over and make him pass that. You know Steph isnt missing two in a row, especially wide open like that.

Gobert is getting pushed in the back but he needs to be more physical and box out better and come up with that. But that was a bad bounce.

Its too bad, there were so many little things this game we could have done and we would have won. I thought we did a great job on Steph. He shot fairly poorly and we contested his shots well.

One big difference is that Golden State ran their starters a lot more than us and only played 8 guys. All of our starters were in the positive. Our bench got beat up by their starters.
Love Ingles to death but he is notorious for standing around watching rebounds.

This game showed me something and I don't like it.

I hope DM and Conley are healing up and are at 100% when the Playoffs start.

Forest needs a damn multi-year contract. Hopefully no other teams have noticed him.

Damn that one hurt. Proud of the effort in a game being short handed on the road. If we just secure the rebound we likely win. Think tonight we all turn into the biggest Steph Curry fans.

I love how the media and warriors commentators frame this loss vs the GSW as a big moral win for them. It’s not. Technically they won the game yes but if anything it’s a moral win for the jazz to only lose by 3 without two of our three all stars.

I love how the media and warriors commentators frame this loss vs the GSW as a big moral win for them. It’s not. Technically they won the game yes but if anything it’s a moral win for the jazz to only lose by 3 without two of our three all stars.
It's not like Warriors are at full strength either, though. No Oubre and Wiseman hurts some, but there's still Klay...

This game showed me something and I don't like it.

I hope DM and Conley are healing up and are at 100% when the Playoffs start.

Forest needs a damn multi-year contract. Hopefully no other teams have noticed him.
He's restricted. We will have no problem keeping him on a minimum deal. He's been fine but he's not gonna get anything we wouldn't gladly match.

Niang on the other hand is likely the one that gets a deal that makes it tough to keep him around.

I'm at the gym and Everytime I look at the tv is got Steph and the warriors beating the jazz on it. Non stop coverage it seems. Like I'm getting kicked in the dick over and over again. Not a preferred workout exercise

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

He's restricted. We will have no problem keeping him on a minimum deal. He's been fine but he's not gonna get anything we wouldn't gladly match.

Niang on the other hand is likely the one that gets a deal that makes it tough to keep him around.
I know he's on a two-way deal but didn't know he was restricted. That's good. That makes me feel better.

Ya I figure niang is gone. Conley too.

I can't remember how long I've yelled at the TV and at the Jazz for their VERY poor long rebounding. During the game I yell at every player for either not hustling to gang rebound (looking at Ingles mostly) or how many players get sucked in too close to the rim (Rudy sometimes is under the rim) and the coaches for not teaching them proper team rebounding for long shots.

After the game I also then realize there is the other side of it, it is also the other team being more physical and aggressive that is just the nature of the game, those little nudges to push Gobert closer to the rim wont be called (even if Gobert gets it called against him looking at you Embid).

But yeah not sure what it is but that last Curry possession encapsulates it all perfectly. You see some Jazz play a bit over excited (Royce jumping to half court trying to ball deny) some Jazz ball watching (Ingles but others do it to) then Rudy being too close to the rim to get the long bounce off the rim and then no team hustle and rebounding as you see 2 GSW players alone getting the rebound.

Last edited:
I can't remember how long I've yelled at the TV and at the Jazz for their VERY poor long rebounding. During the game I yell at every player for either not hustling to gang rebound (looking at Ingles mostly) or how many players get sucked in too close to the rim (Rudy sometimes is under the rim) and the coaches for not teaching them proper team rebounding for long shots.

After the game I also then realize there is the other side of it, it is also the other team being more physical and aggressive that is just the nature of the game, those little nudges to push Gobert closer to the rim wont be called (even if Gobert gets it called against him looking at you Embid).

But yeah not sure what it is but that last Curry possession encapsulates it all perfectly. You see some Jazz play a bit over excited (Royce jumping to half court trying to ball deny) some Jazz ball watching (Ingles but others do it to) then Rudy being too lost to the rim to get the long bounce off the rim and then no team hustle and rebounding as you see 2 GSW players alone getting the rebound.
Good comment

Good comment

I have a hard time with that sort of thinking. Strikes me too much like my wife's "back seat driving". No ****. She dozes a lot, diagnosed with sleep apnea issues, who knows, maybe schizo too. There are turns in the road, ya know. When I come to one I slow down, maybe too much. When the car starts to turn she shrieks and raves about my weaving on the road. Never even knows there was a curve. The one thing that's always certain in her head is that I'm a bad driver.

If she drives, she hugs the right shoulder, four inches over the solid white line, pathologically dims the lights if there's an oncoming car two miles ahead, high on caffeine and fifteen mph over the limit. Controlling obsessions beyond all discussion.

I know I'd be dead, either murdered on the road or crunched up in the steel can except for The Force that's behind me.

It's basketball in here. Every "right" thing you can do exposes the "wrong" things the other team can exploit. You can always take advantage of those opportunities, but you have to move a little faster, think a little sharper, pass to the better opportunity or shoot a little better. A lot of it is instinct or, let's say, thinking behind the conscious screen. Quicker reflexes. Better shooting. Talent.

Awesome talent you can't backseat drive unless you're pretty good at seeing it all and knowing how to teach. I don't have what it takes;.