What's new

Memo to players complaining about minutes: Shut Your Mouth!

Archie Moses

Ok, so LeBron is calling out the Heat coach Eric Spoelstra about playing too many minutes. He played 44 and DWade played 40. Jim Rome made an excellent point in saying what super star tells their coach they're playing them too many minutes while they're in their prime? Michael Jordan? No. Karl Malone? Hell no. I was so annoyed when I heard this. Paul Millsap wouldn't never say this and no one on the Jazz would, right? WRONG!!!! I was listening to DJ and PK this morning and they were on the phone with Locke. Locke was talking about the back up PG situation and Deron getting too many minutes. Deron told Locke that he was getting too many minutes and Sloan better figure something out soon.

I know the NBA schedule is brutal and I'm amazed players can play a full season, but don't complain about too many minutes while you're in your prime. That's something I would expect from some ***** like AK or Tracy McGrady. Man up and play. Hell, KD plays pretty much the whole game every game.

Wow, that isn't something I would expect to hear from Deron.

I didn't hear that myself, so it's just speculation for now ;-)

Pay me a couple million every year and I'll play as much basketball as anyone wants me to.

Yeah, and I'm sure your body would hold up just fine banging NBA players 40 minutes a night, 82 nights of the year. I'm pretty sure you would tear something eventually going up against such size and length night in, night out.

Deron has always said that. He really welcomed Maynor because the thought he could leave the game for a breather without losin the lead. It's not that he aint willin to play or is bein selfish. In fact he's bein unselfish. He thinks it's best for the team to have "fresh" players in the game at all times, if possible. Everyone (himself included) plays better that way.

Sloan feels the same way, of course. He would like to keep Deron's minutes around 36/game. Normally he wouldn't overplay anybuddy, even if it risked a loss, but I guess he felt the situation has been too desperate to follow SOP.

Yeah, and I'm sure your body would hold up just fine banging NBA players 40 minutes a night, 82 nights of the year. I'm pretty sure you would tear something eventually going up against such size and length night in, night out.

Pay me a couple of million and I'll play or at least try to play with anything torn, ripped, or broken. I've been playing basketball with a broken thumb the past month and after having my eye scraped off in a game, I didn't miss my weekly basketball game.

If true, maybe Sloan ought to tell Deron to play like a stud in the 1st and 2nd quarters and not shoot 2-10. If the Jazz didn't fall behind by 20 points, Deron could take a breather in the second half and not have to play so much. It's coming second-hand, though, so we probably shouldn't believe it until seeing the exact quote and the context in which it was made.

Last edited:
Your thread title makes it sound like Mehmet Okur is telling players to "shut up" about their minutes LOL!!

I was talking about a different type of Memo, but now after you informed me, I can see how you confused the type of memo I used with the Memo on the Jazz you thought I used. lol

You sound like a bitch.

If true, maybe Sloan out to tell Deron to play like a stud in the 1st and 2nd quarters and not shoot 2-10. If the Jazz didn't fall behind by 20 points, Deron could take a breather in the second half and not have to play so much. Man up, Deron and stop whining. Most players HATE to come out of games. Beliebe me, if Deron were playing 32 mins/per and Chrissy Paul were ahead by an assist and a point or two, Deron would be bitching about not playing enough.
Um, just maybe it's a good thing for players to tell their coaches that they are not playing their best with the number of minutes on the court. That's not always evident because players will sometimes fake fatigue or injury to stay on the court. It beat's Boozer's strategy of fighting fatigue by playing fake defense (maybe Jefferson has done so far at times, except Q4 of the Orlando game, for example).

It's prudent for DW to play less time (around 35 MPG is probably ideal, vs. the 40+ currently, including overtimes) so that he lasts longer during the season and playoffs. It's not likely that Deron (or any NBA player) is gonna "whine" about playing too many minutes (unless you're Queen James); chances are it was just a suggestion or a request.

Of course, within the Coaching 101 system (validated in the past two games by the selective benching of Big Al), DW would've been sat down for a possession or two--out of sympathy--when he was committing too many turnovers or missing too many shots, which would improve his performance (despite the fewer minutes) and his longevity.

If true, maybe Sloan out to tell Deron to play like a stud in the 1st and 2nd quarters and not shoot 2-10. If the Jazz didn't fall behind by 20 points, Deron could take a breather in the second half and not have to play so much. Man up, Deron and stop whining. Most players HATE to come out of games. Beliebe me, if Deron were playing 32 mins/per and Chrissy Paul were ahead by an assist and a point or two, Deron would be bitching about not playing enough.

I agree.

If Deron wants a breather, then he best be coming out of the gate with the same killer attitude that he has seemed to have in the second half.

Millsap has been carrying Deron and the whole team through the first half in the last 3 games, and he's never said anything.

So until D-Will decides he's going to actually come out of the gate with some energy and lead the team for 35 minutes, then I guess he gets to continue, struggle, and try to lead for 45 minutes.

Although I agree thats its annoying to heare the highly overpaid athletes complain, I doubt its with out warrent. Nobody knows their body's as well their selves and If Deron feels like he needs less minutes to avoid an injurt then maybe they should listen. Its cool to tough it out, but its smarter to stay healthy and win more games.

Yeah, right, eh, S2. Whatever Sloan does, or doesn't do, you will say it's wrong and that you would have done it better. One reason Sloan has for his "predictable" subsitutions is to implement a regimen where the time a player is on the floor doesn't get lost in the shuffle. He has often said that he feels an obligation to prolong his players' careers by not overplayin them.

Remember in Stockton's last several years Sloan diminished his PT. That's where the habit of taking the PG out at about the 8 min mark and resting him through the quarter break and for 4-5 mins of the 2nd/4th came from. It's likely Sloan WANTS to play Deron & Millsap less. He just can't when the team gets down by so many points. And we're not just talking about the 2nd unit here. It's often been the starters who come out of the gate slow.

I agree.

If Deron wants a breather, then he best be coming out of the gate with the same killer attitude that he has seemed to have in the second half.

Millsap has been carrying Deron and the whole team through the first half in the last 3 games, and he's never said anything.

So until D-Will decides he's going to actually come out of the gate with some energy and lead the team for 35 minutes, then I guess he gets to continue, struggle, and try to lead for 45 minutes.
It has been disappointing to see DW sometimes walk the ball up the court, because it sets a tone for the team, but Deron's low FG% and high turnovers could be just as likely due to pressing (trying too hard) than not trying enough.

Your strategy of rewarding subpar performance with more minutes has been a recurrent problem. For most players, such a reward system would be akin to Brer Fox throwing Brer Rabbit into the briar patch--it's an ideal "punishment."

That's why the optimal system is to focus on what combination is best on the court at all times, and this is adjusted on an intraquarterly basis. A big problem for this team--even up to the last game--has been poor performance in the first half and playing catchup in the second. The way to remedy that is to spell off the players who are dogging it (or pressing it) sooner--as in, starting in the middle of the first quarter. (That's what Stan van Gundy did in the first two minutes of the Magic game, subbing in Brandon Bass for Ryan Anderson even earlier than that, within the first two minutes of the game. Problem is that he made insufficient adjustments for the rest of the game, such as adjusting to the zone, and the Jazz capitalized. Good for Utah.)

In the meantime, while you tweak lineups with subpar performers, you learn which combinations might be working best on a given night. I am NOT proposing putting 4 or 5 of the starters on the bench together (or even precipitously); it puzzles me why coaches--not just Sloan--do that so often. At least Jerry has kept a starter or two (most often AK and sometimes DW) with the backups. But starting the substitutions earlier (assuming the existing lineup isn't clicking) keeps players fresh and and involved.

I agree.

QFT.

ae6fdc5320e74ff38ca7004be30774e0.jpg