What's new

Millers sell the Jazz

I'll always be very grateful to the Millers for everything they've done, not only for the Jazz but for the state of Utah. That being said, I think this could be a good thing. It's clear that Gail and Greg just don't have the same passion for Jazz basketball that Larry did. It seems like Ryan Smith will bring more passion and fire and care more about winning and trying to bring a title to Utah. I could see him being much more willing to go into the luxury tax to build the most competitive team possible.

I wonder if this will change the dynamic of how they approach building the team. Are they going to continue to mostly be a fringe playoff team or get more aggressive in dealing for players that can get them into the upper tier of teams?

I think they’ve made plenty of moves but the lack of blockbuster moves has had to to do with playing in white *** Utah (sorry, it ain’t Miami Beach) and the Millers not often spending above and beyond like some franchises.

I think the latter changes now. I’m guessing that if some dude from Utah wants to spend a **** ton to buy the organization and has been involved with the franchise over the years, it’s a passion to him and that he’s gonna go balls to the wall to spend the money (not piss it away) to get the best product on the floor, even if it means going into the LT a bunch of times.

My only concern with this and it’s a tiny one because I have no idea what this new owner is like is that he’ll be too quick to pull the trigger on moves. Quin doesn’t show progress with the team as quickly as he likes, he fires him and hires someone new. Rinse, later, repeat. Like the Knicks. Not that he’d be the one making those decisions but that he just doesn’t bring the consistent stability the Millers did and is more involved and not in a good way. In a Knicks way. But like I said, I’m not very concerned with that.

I think they’ve made plenty of moves but the lack of blockbuster moves has had to to do with playing in white *** Utah (sorry, it ain’t Miami Beach) and the Millers not often spending above and beyond like some franchises.

I think the latter changes now. I’m guessing that if some dude from Utah wants to spend a **** ton to buy the organization and has been involved with the franchise over the years, it’s a passion to him and that he’s gonna go balls to the wall to spend the money (not piss it away) to get the best product on the floor, even if it means going into the LT a bunch of times.
Before I think we would have dabble our toes in the tax if we were a Finals favorite and had a chance to improve. I think this guy will go into the tax occasionally if we are good. Every owner avoids the tax when possible, which is wise.

My only concern with this and it’s a tiny one because I have no idea what this new owner is like is that he’ll be too quick to pull the trigger on moves. Quin doesn’t show progress with the team as quickly as he likes, he fires him and hires someone new. Rinse, later, repeat. Like the Knicks. Not that he’d be the one making those decisions but that he just doesn’t bring the consistent stability the Millers did and is more involved and not in a good way. In a Knicks way. But like I said, I’m not very concerned with that.
Vivek syndrome.

Before I think we would have dabble our toes in the tax if we were a Finals favorite and had a chance to improve. I think this guy will go into the tax occasionally if we are good. Every owner avoids the tax when possible, which is wise.

Agreed. Also, like now, maybe this move helps us net Christian Wood somehow.

I also think he might be more progressive and willing to do extreme things when rebuilding requires. There was always the thought that Utah can withstand "the process" but as a non-destination market the process is the way you are most likely to acquire top tier talent.

I also think he might be more progressive and willing to do extreme things when rebuilding requires. There was always the thought that Utah can withstand "the process" but as a non-destination market the process is the way you are most likely to acquire top tier talent.

I think the Deron trade shows we were willing to do that.

I think the Deron trade shows we were willing to do that.
Not really... they got Harris in part to stay competitive while developing the young guys. Outside of the Exum year we have always re-tooled instead of re-built.

The process would have spun Harris to another team for draft capital and sold off other parts for future stuff... it also requires a 2-3 years of bottoming out.

I'm so stoked about this. Woj said the sale of the team included the arena, and that the millers maintained a 20% share in the team for now. The value of the team was north of $2 billion, which is insane.

Mormon Mark Cuban is gonna bring us a championship!!!!!

I'm not buying the fact he'll sell the team just to make some more money. The guy could live anywhere in the world, but he chooses to live n Utah. He must like it there. Why would he throw away all the goodwill of living in a place he likes to make more money that he doesn't need?

I mean, if you say this:

"I grew up watching the Jazz. This is the team I cheered for. I played Junior Jazz. I dreamed of playing for the Jazz, and that didn't work out. But as I was sitting there this week in the Junior Jazz program you guys started, with hundreds of kids running around, the legacy you've created is untouchable. We're all incredibly grateful for that. The Jazz are a gift to this whole community, and that's how we view it. That's 100 percent how we view this."

And then sell the team, that's some pro wrestling level heel stuff there.

I love that quote. It tells me that he gets it. He understands the Jazz and the fans and the community.

What made me a Jazz fan was Coach Sloan and doing things the right way, the sense of family, and building from within.

Tony Jones

@Tjonesonthenba

·
1h

I think the first domino in today’s change that we may see is that it is more likely that the jazz can resign Jordan Clarkson AND retain full use of their midlevel exception.

iu

That's fair... they'd find work arounds on the tax thing but I am comfortable taxing the mega wealthy in some way as long as it is redistributed fairly and responsibly.

The selling picks things was a big pet peeve of mine for a few years... the excuses of there weren't guys left we liked or we didn't want to bring in any more young guys... were so damn dumb. Especially when you consider we were also talking about how awesome our development program was.
It happened with such a frequency that it seems like they didn’t even try to trade for future second-rounders. I get if there might not be a player you like where you draft, but selling an asset from a basketball perspective is the same as giving it away.

By the way, it looks like Shake Milton is an NBA player. Not only was he available with the Jazz’s late 2nd rounder in a bad draft, I thought he was worth selecting, but the Jazz thought selling it for 500k was a good bet.

You hit at all on any pick like that and it’s easily worth five you miss on. It’s the house giving you money to play and leaving it on the table.

I know we agree, and I know there are bigger things, but some **** just drives me up the wall.

It happened with such a frequency that it seems like they didn’t even try to trade for future second-rounders. I get if there might not be a player you like where you draft, but selling an asset from a basketball perspective is the same as giving it away.

By the way, it looks like Shake Milton is an NBA player. Not only was he available with the Jazz’s late 2nd rounder in a bad draft, I thought he was worth selecting, but the Jazz thought selling it for 500k was a good bet.

You hit at all on any pick like that and it’s easily worth five you miss on. It’s the house giving you money to play and leaving it on the table.

I know we agree, and I know there are bigger things, but some **** just drives me up the wall.
If my GM punted on a pick in the 30s of basically any draft with the reasoning that "we didn't really like anyone in our range" I would seriously consider firing them. You clearly ain't doing your homework then.

I would also laugh when posters would see other teams buy picks and make excuses for DL that he didn't have opportunities to buy into the early second round. Cash is cash and either they weren't willing to invest or DL didn't know what teams were selling.

I'm going to give DL the benefit of the doubt and say it was a way for him to get funds he wanted for other areas of the team. I believe that was also under Greg's reign when we were cheap AF and operated at the salary floor almost every year. It seems to have reversed with last year's draft when they got some picks in the late second round.

Maybe we miss on all those picks but like you said... 1 hit more than pays for the misses.

So this chapter ends with them never being able to get a decent PG after Deron Williams... that sucks... what a failure on the part of the front office

I hope a lot of these front office ppl that been getting their checks called up the millers and apologized for not doing a better job. I know if i was getting them ill gotten gains, thats what i'd have done.

Y'all know whats called a "Sunken Cost Fallacy"?? is that not what did in this last regime?? Hate to see it. The PG position being where the sunken cost occured...

The big "What if" for me isnt, What if Hayward stayed, that was always doomed IMO (which is probably even more sad than what im about to say, cuz the vision was just scuffed here, it always was). It's what if they took Dennis Schroder instead of Trey Burke.... to me...

what if they didnt have to keep throwing good $$$ at bad PG solutions? then how different would this have all looked?!? Instead they were shackled by it, and greedily overspent resources, yet it still festered....

I hate to see them fail when you have such blunders year after year after year at the same spot on the depth chart, a crucial position of the highest order in the NBA... madness... and u pay all these people to prevent this **** from happening, and its the same thing every year...

Last edited: