What's new

Mitchell says he told Jazz to keep Gobert

David Stern

"I don't think we didn't believe (in each other)," Mitchell told ESPN Wednesday on his first day in Cleveland as a Cavalier following a Sept. 1 trade. "I said at the end of the season, don't trade (Rudy Gobert). Let's figure this out, let's do. And that didn't happen. For him to say that after six months around the team, I disagree. But you know, at the end of the day, that's his decision."

i find this really interesting. Do you think he actually wanted to run it back?

Also, I'm not 100% sure Mitchell didn't trust Gobert, I think he's a mediocre PG when it comes to feeding bigs.

If he gets to Cleveland and he's suddenly hitting Allen for a few lobs a game I'll change my mind.

I think 100% Mitchell wanted to run it back. He wanted two more years in Utah then to do a quiet ask out in his final year if things didn't go well.
IMO next year was going to be the year. He wanted to ask out next year with 2 years remaining on the contract so he can have more real leverage and so his threat would mean more to suitors he didn't like.

Last edited:
Well, apparently what he was saying to the front office completely contradicted his actions on the court. Believe the actions, not the words.
This. He may very well have said to keep Rudy, or that he was committed to winning, but all of his actual behaviors told another story and conveyed apathy. If there was anyone who could have kept this all going, it’s Donovan. One day he will realize that, but that day is not today.

He came into the league with a silver spoon in his mouth and, despite lip service to those facts, didn’t seem to fully comprehend that. I believe he thought things would magically work out for him in NY because, up until this point, every possible amount of basketball good fortune had been laid before him on a platter. Believing he could continue to ride apathy into better spheres culminated in a surprise trade to Cleveland.

Passing through much less cushy territory will likely help in the eventual recognition of how much more could have been done with a roster that was near the top and may end up being his biggest career regret.

He can disagree with DA’s assessment of the situation, that’s fine. I hate the premise in the article title. There is nothing to dispute that was Danny’s opinion and conclusions based on what he saw. Don may not realize it because he’s never been part of a NBA championship caliber team, Danny has.

This. He may very well have said to keep Rudy, or that he was committed to winning, but all of his actual behaviors told another story and conveyed apathy. If there was anyone who could have kept this all going, it’s Donovan. One day he will realize that, but that day is not today.

He came into the league with a silver spoon in his mouth and, despite lip service to those facts, didn’t seem to fully comprehend that. I believe he thought things would magically work out for him in NY because, up until this point, every possible amount of basketball good fortune had been laid before him on a platter. Believing he could continue to ride apathy into better spheres culminated in a surprise trade to Cleveland.

Passing through much less cushy territory will likely help in the eventual recognition of how much more could have been done with a roster that was near the top and may end up being his biggest career regret.
Yeah... I heard on some Ringer pod where they were like "I think Don realizes he needs to be a better defender and it will happen now"... I lol'd... homies we been there for multiple seasons when Don said he was gonna get better on that end. If he magically turns it on now then why didn't he do it earlier if he really wanted this **** to work out. If he really wanted this stuff to work out there were easy action items he could have taken.

He will have a DWill come to Jesus moment where he realizes it was pretty good here and maybe he should have appreciated it a bit more... we may have that moment too of course.

Yeah... I heard on some Ringer pod where they were like "I think Don realizes he needs to be a better defender and it will happen now"... I lol'd... homies we been there for multiple seasons when Don said he was gonna get better on that end. If he magically turns it on now then why didn't he do it earlier if he really wanted this **** to work out. If he really wanted this stuff to work out there were easy action items he could have taken.

He will have a DWill come to Jesus moment where he realizes it was pretty good here and maybe he should have appreciated it a bit more... we may have that moment too of course.
Could happen both ways. And Don works on his D just as soon as Rudy works on his post game.

Who cares what DM said or thought. His play for the last two years has been appalling and selfish. I'm thrilled that we got valuable assets in trade for him.

I'd rather look up old videos of Andre Kirilenko explaining why he bought vacation plane tickets during the playoffs than hear about anything that Mitchell thinks about his former situation in Utah.

I think Donovan left out part of the Quote...

Here's the unredacted version:

"I want to go to NY. If you're gonna trade me to some **** hole like Cleveland, Ohio then don't trade Gobert. Let's figure this out, let's do."

The Cleveland honeymoon will show that Don can be a defender, great passer and an elite scorer. After the honeymoon he'll be back to 4th quarter Westbrook.
Jazz don't get Cleveland picks till 25+. So the trade will look like the Jazz and cavs tied the trade for the first couple seasons.
Sexton and Lauri on there own might be equal value for Mitch. Then add Abaji and the picks and swaps plus the real chance Cleveland will be a wasteland in a few years. The Jazz should be picking gold.
Clevelands future is going to be interesting. Will their young guys demand out, or will they be traded to recoup a few picks they lost with the Mitch trade?

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

I think 100% Mitchell wanted to run it back. He wanted two more years in Utah then to do a quiet ask out in his final year if things didn't go well.
Big Danny Ainge fan here! Beat him to the lunch and sent him to Cleveland lmao.