What's new

Mormon LeBron (Jabari Parker of Simeon HS)

I don't know why people are getting so butt rummed because people talk about something that's really important to a basketball player and makes him different. Freaking idiots.

It's actually the opposite from me. I think it's excellent he holds those things close to him. But it doesn't make him different. Plenty of people are genuinely good people with great morals and values. The point of my post was that I think it's backhanded of SI, and any media outlet that wants to present him that he's so unique because he's a good person. As if many like him aren't good people.

I hope that helps clarify my stance.

I've also never heard, or read, the term butt rummed.

It's actually the opposite from me. I think it's excellent he holds those things close to him. But it doesn't make him different. Plenty of people are genuinely good people with great morals and values. The point of my post was that I think it's backhanded of SI, and any media outlet that wants to present him that he's so unique because he's a good person. As if many like him aren't good people.

I hope that helps clarify my stance.

I've also never heard, or read, the term butt rummed.

I think that is a knock on "news" more than anything. They are in it for the ratings. What brings ratings? Crimes, scandals, corruption, trials, death and sex. Feel good stories like this one are rare because they do not bring in the viewers/readers.

As for the bolded part neither have I.

It wil be interesting to see how he acts in the NBA, or if it changes him.

I don't know how "Mormon" Bryce Harper is but I think he will turn into a playboy douche.

I don't know how "Mormon" Bryce Harper is but I think he will turn into a playboy douche.

Since you posted this twice about 10 minutes apart. I will give it some play.

Bite...

I read an article about him on the Sltrib yesterday and he seems like a humble guy. He said something like "basketball is what he does, but is not who he is." Extremely humble and likeable guy. He's considering going on his mission after a year in college, so it may not look like NBA is his top priority. It would be a blessing for BYU to pick him up, but it might get as annoying as Jimmer mania.

I read an article about him on the Sltrib yesterday and he seems like a humble guy. He said something like "basketball is what he does, but is not who he is." Extremely humble and likeable guy. He's considering going on his mission after a year in college, so it may not look like NBA is his top priority. It would be a blessing for BYU to pick him up, but it might get as annoying as Jimmer mania.

Honestly I do not want him to come to a Utah school. Go to UK, UNC, Duke...somewhere. I want him to get exposure on a national level. (speaking from a fellow mormon standpoint).

Just a complete guess, but here's my prediction for how it plays out:

-He chooses to attend a big time program.

-He decides to play his freshman year before going on a mission.

-He has an amazingly successful freshman year.

-Due to his talent and high charachter , he is the sure fire #1 pick should he enter the draft.

-The lure of the NBA proves to be too great. He enters the draft and pledges to do missionary work later on in life.

Very possible.

On the other hand, there was an article about Harvey Unga's graduation from BYU last month, in the Des News today.
https://www.deseretnews.com/article...s-to-Chicago-to-make-NFL-dream-work.html?pg=2

Here's the relevant part:

This past month, Harvey hosted his second cousin, Chicago prep sensation Jabari Parker, who appeared on the cover of last week's Sports Illustrated as the No. 1 high school basketball player in the nation. Parker came to Provo during LDS conference and stayed at the home of Jackson Unga. Back in the late '80s, Parker's mother, Lola, regularly visited the Ungas in Provo in the last months of the life of Jackson's mother, Lulama.

"He's a fantastic person and aside from his great basketball talent, he is an amazing young man," said Harvey of Parker.

Did Harvey put in a word about his alma mater with Parker?

"I threw a little something in there to pique his interest," he said.

Interesting to think that BYU is still in the mix, and that Parker has some family connections to the Y. But who knows how this will play out.

Very possible.

On the other hand, there was an article about Harvey Unga's graduation from BYU last month, in the Des News today.
https://www.deseretnews.com/article...s-to-Chicago-to-make-NFL-dream-work.html?pg=2

Here's the relevant part:

Interesting to think that BYU is still in the mix, and that Parker has some family connections to the Y. But who knows how this will play out.

I think the kid is a great story, but I just don't see him choosing BYU and the West Coast Conference over 4 or 5 of the best basketball programs in the country, but I guess ya never know.

Honestly I do not want him to come to a Utah school. Go to UK, UNC, Duke...somewhere. I want him to get exposure on a national level. (speaking from a fellow mormon standpoint).

Playing at BYU didn't hurt Jimmer.

If you're an amazing talent you'll get exposure regardless of where you play.

Several points, Bryce Harper has always been a douche. He has a tremendous work ethic, but he's never not been a douche.

Also, I don't care if Parker's cousin went to BYU, Parker won't be going there. He's smarter than that.

Playing at BYU didn't hurt Jimmer.

If you're an amazing talent you'll get exposure regardless of where you play.

I would argue that in the long run it hurt Jimmer. He got a ton of national exposure, but how long will he last in the NBA? At a top program he wouldn't have scored as much, but he would have developed into a better player with better coaches IMO.

I would argue that in the long run it hurt Jimmer. He got a ton of national exposure, but how long will he last in the NBA? At a top program he wouldn't have scored as much, but he would have developed into a better player with better coaches IMO.

The argument wasn't being a better player with better coaching. It was that he'd get national exposure at someplace other than BYU.