• Start date
D

Deleted member 848

Conley/Mudiay
Mitchell/Ingles
Bogdanovich/Oni
O’Neale/Niang/Brantley
Gobert/Bradley
(I’ve left out some other names of course).

When I look at this roster, some things are made plainly clear:

1) our PF rotation is,,,,horrendous.
2) we need to re-sign Jordan Clarkson
3) we need a very strong defensive 1/2/3, as opposed to more of a defensive forward.
There’s been lots of commotion for another “3 and D” wing— personally I think we have this in Royce and we already have a big time scorer in Bojan. Our money should be going into guards and PFs. Bradley is fine, but an idea may be to cut him loose and sign Favors.

I’m too pissed and lazy right now to get into the subtleties of the cap, our contracts, and then imagine how much flexibility we MIGHT have. Instead I see pretty quickly how little flexibility there isn’t.

The Conley trade is looking like one of the worst trades league-wide over a 5-10 year span. And it came at a supremely bad time with respect to Donovan and Rudy’s next contracts and the opportunity to vault the team into the next tier. Conley was supposed to do that, but he’s done the opposite: he’s hamstrung the defense while playing a miniature version of year-3 Rodney Hood on offense—for $35 million. It’s hard to come back from this trade—since he’s definitely opting in AND our org doesn’t have what it takes to move him to the bench (where he might actually help the team [ignoring the price, of course]).

In each of the last two seasons, I think we’ve tried to decrease our dependence on Joe. But they haven’t figured out how to do it. I think this postseason shows that we really have to crack that nut. Even if we keep him in the starting lineup, we need to find another PnR creator.

Maybe this is a part of Mitchell’s evolution? Dunno, but right now he’s resorting to too many dangerous outlet passes after his initial and secondary reads get cut off. He isn’t getting to that third read often enough, especially once he gets deeper into the paint.

But, considering our financial situation, I’m not sure how we find this PnR guy AND fix the defense. If there was some magical combination of moves (dump Ed, move Tony, shave off a couple of the 1.5Mish contracts) that allowed us to bring back Favors and sign a guy like Torrey Craig, then maybe we have a competitive defense again. You’d have to nut up and move Conley to the bench, though. And you’d need more from Mitchell on defense

Mitchell/Conley
Joe/Clarkson/Oni
Royce/Craig/Brantley
Bogdanovic/Morgan/Favors
Gobert/Favors

You can bank a lot on the defensive positional flexibility of guys like Oni, Brantley, Royce, Craig, Morgan, and time some extent Favors. These guys can be plugged into a few different spots and we can recommit your a defensive identity.

This post kinda highlights what I’m talking about as well— cut out dead weight, get a #bulldog (as naos likes to call his defensive guards) then dope. Problem is, we may need to try and strike gold on a Dolt.

The more I think about it, the stronger I feel that the Jazz need to pull some serious **** to try and get Christian Wood. Our PF spot and backup C slot are both massive weaknesses on this team and if we can find a player that ticks off all the boxes - even if it’s a big gamble - I think you gotta roll the dice.

Obviously, such a prospect completely relies on the Jazz finding a way to generate a $~15 million dollar deal on the table which would require some ****.

My fantasy right now is that the Jazz can hammer out a deal with Conley to get him to opt-out/re-sign on a three year deal at a lower number and find a way to dump Davis/Bradley. And/or double S&T with Clarkson for Wood?

I thought what if our playoff bench was Clarkson, Willie Reed, Eric Griffin and Nate Wolters? Would we have been any worse off?

The more I think about it, the stronger I feel that the Jazz need to pull some serious **** to try and get Christian Wood. Our PF spot and backup C slot are both massive weaknesses on this team and if we can find a player that ticks off all the boxes - even if it’s a big gamble - I think you gotta roll the dice.

Obviously, such a prospect completely relies on the Jazz finding a way to generate a $~15 million dollar deal on the table which would require some ****.

My fantasy right now is that the Jazz can hammer out a deal with Conley to get him to opt-out/re-sign on a three year deal at a lower number and find a way to dump Davis/Bradley. And/or double S&T with Clarkson for Wood?
Short of fireworks and living in our ****** reality, Jazz should roll with Morgan and/or Brantley as our backup bigs and re-sign Clarkson and see if they can make a shrewd signing to shore up the rotation.

If I have to choose between Clarkson and Favors it’s Clarkson and it’s not close.

get a Jerami Grant typa 6'8er who can swing 3/4. Since we don't have the money to sign Grant as a FA, we gotta get a prospect either via the draft or international FA and slowly groom him to the rotation. So far Paul Reed is the closest thing I can think of that fits the picture. A 6'9 dynamic forward who averages 15 and 10. The kid can shoot, rebound and guard multiple position.

Trade Conley, trade Gobert. Bradley sucks trade him , trade Ed Davis. Don't extend Niang . Sign Clarkson. Get more help for Donovan.

Resign Clarkson, Sign Favors and Frank Keminsky with our 2 exceptions. Trade our first and a pair of 2nds with Davis for Brandon Clarkson And run it back with a healthy Bogdanovic.

Conley/Mudiay
Mitchell/Ingles
Bogdanovich/Oni
O’Neale/Niang/Brantley
Gobert/Bradley
(I’ve left out some other names of course).

When I look at this roster, some things are made plainly clear:

1) our PF rotation is,,,,horrendous.
2) we need to re-sign Jordan Clarkson
3) we need a very strong defensive 1/2/3, as opposed to more of a defensive forward.
There’s been lots of commotion for another “3 and D” wing— personally I think we have this in Royce and we already have a big time scorer in Bojan. Our money should be going into guards and PFs. Bradley is fine, but an idea may be to cut him loose and sign Favors.

4. Get more athletic
5. Get tougher both physically and mentally

Defensive minded wings (big or medium and fast).

A true stretch big... could be a PF, like Jamychal Green, that can play some center. Could just be a stretch 5 like Meyers Leonard. Meyers would be about as bad as TB on defense but he'd allow us to space the defense completely out and throw a different look out there. I'm not wild about him but I think he could be fairly cheap and I'd consider that an upgrade.

Short of fireworks and living in our ****** reality, Jazz should roll with Morgan and/or Brantley as our backup bigs and re-sign Clarkson and see if they can make a shrewd signing to shore up the rotation.

If I have to choose between Clarkson and Favors it’s Clarkson and it’s not close.
I'm mixed on the Favs thing... if Quin continues to run one main defensive scheme then having a backup like Favs is important. I think it'd be better to allocate resource elsewhere and try some different stuff on the second unit. I think Morgan and Brantley could be good in switching schemes.

I'm almost sure we do the safe, familiar thing and get Favs. I'm okay with it if we work a sign and trade and throw Ed, TB, and a second back to NO. If we lose JC and use the MLE on Favs that's like $50M in cap dedicated to Centers.

I'm mixed on the Favs thing... if Quin continues to run one main defensive scheme then having a backup like Favs is important. I think it'd be better to allocate resource elsewhere and try some different stuff on the second unit. I think Morgan and Brantley could be good in switching schemes.

I'm almost sure we do the safe, familiar thing and get Favs. I'm okay with it if we work a sign and trade and throw Ed, TB, and a second back to NO. If we lose JC and use the MLE on Favs that's like $50M in cap dedicated to Centers.

How much would you give Favors in a contract?

How much would you give Favors in a contract?

Around 3/30M is a fair deal imo. Again I'd very much prefer a sign and trade with Ed and TB. I don't think Favs gets full MLE and he has given discounts for familiarity and stability here before.

It also depends on where Rudy's extension lands. He ain't getting supermax but at full regular max for 4 years having a $10m a year backup when the rest of the league kinda patches that hole together at the minimum seems like a tough allocation of resources.

I prefer Bojan at the 3. He can play some minutes at 4 but I think he plays better at the 3.

I think Mitchell should be the PG for the most part.

I like Royce will enough but I think he's a bench player, but he can start and be decent.

That leaves us with the biggest need at PF to me and the second at the wing. I would like both players to be decent 3 point shooters and decent defenders. I would prefer the PF to be decent at rebounding and at have done height and hustle to try and guard the rim a little.

After that we need some depth. We need a decent pick and roll big for Ingles and possibly Conley to play with in the second unit.

Getting all that is a pretty tall task though. Especially if we don't trade Conley.

Around 3/30M is a fair deal imo. Again I'd very much prefer a sign and trade with Ed and TB. I don't think Favs gets full MLE and he has given discounts for familiarity and stability here before.

It also depends on where Rudy's extension lands. He ain't getting supermax but at full regular max for 4 years having a $10m a year backup when the rest of the league kinda patches that hole together at the minimum seems like a tough allocation of resources.

Wow. I didn't figure that much. I personally don't think a team in the league would give him their full MLE ($9.6).

Last season, he was the only legit big man for the Pelicans for a majority of the season. He still only played 24.4 mpg, and he'll turn 30 after next season.

In my opinion, we try our best to convince him to come at the full BAE. I know it sounds cheap at $7.5 over 2 years ($3.6 per), but that kind of deal gives us the leverage to truly make a run at contender status. We sell him on the fact that he'll be honored like a team legend. He knows the city, system, teammates, role, etc. We can try to convince him that he can stick around for the long haul even as he declines kind of like Haslem in Miami.

If we could keep Clarkson ($10ish), sign MLE wing help, sign Favors to the BAE, then we are an Ed Davis dump away from being under the luxury. He probably won't go for that amount, but that's the angle I'm taking.

Last summer, when more teams had money, look at these contracts for PF/C who are more bench players or fringe starters:

Al-Farouq Aminu agrees to a three-year, $29 million contract with the Orlando Magic.
DeMarre Carroll agrees to a three-year, $21 million contract with the San Antonio Spurs.
Ed Davis agrees to a two-year, $10 million contract with the Utah Jazz.
Maxi Kleber agrees to a four-year, $35 million contract with the Dallas Mavericks.
Enes Kanter agrees to a two-year, $10 million contract with the Boston Celtics.
Frank Kaminsky agrees to a two-year, $10 million contract with the Phoenix Suns.
Kevon Looney agrees to a three-year, $15 million contract to return to the Golden State Warriors.
Daniel Theis agrees to a two-year, $10 million contract with the Boston Celtics.
Boban Marjanovic agrees to a two-year, $7 million contract with the Dallas Mavericks.
Markieff Morris agrees to a two-year, $7.4 million contract with the Detroit Pistons.
Ivica Zubac agrees to a four-year, $28 million contract to return to the Los Angeles Clippers.
JaMychal Green agrees to a two-year, $10 million contract with the Los Angeles Clippers.

Wow. I didn't figure that much. I personally don't think a team in the league would give him their full MLE ($9.6).

Last season, he was the only legit big man for the Pelicans for a majority of the season. He still only played 24.4 mpg, and he'll turn 30 after next season.

In my opinion, we try our best to convince him to come at the full BAE. I know it sounds cheap at $7.5 over 2 years ($3.6 per), but that kind of deal gives us the leverage to truly make a run at contender status. We sell him on the fact that he'll be honored like a team legend. He knows the city, system, teammates, role, etc. We can try to convince him that he can stick around for the long haul even as he declines kind of like Haslem in Miami.

If we could keep Clarkson ($10ish), sign MLE wing help, sign Favors to the BAE, then we are an Ed Davis dump away from being under the luxury. He probably won't go for that amount, but that's the angle I'm taking.

Last summer, when more teams had money, look at these contracts for PF/C who are more bench players or fringe starters:

Al-Farouq Aminu agrees to a three-year, $29 million contract with the Orlando Magic.
DeMarre Carroll agrees to a three-year, $21 million contract with the San Antonio Spurs.
Ed Davis agrees to a two-year, $10 million contract with the Utah Jazz.
Maxi Kleber agrees to a four-year, $35 million contract with the Dallas Mavericks.
Enes Kanter agrees to a two-year, $10 million contract with the Boston Celtics.
Frank Kaminsky agrees to a two-year, $10 million contract with the Phoenix Suns.
Kevon Looney agrees to a three-year, $15 million contract to return to the Golden State Warriors.
Daniel Theis agrees to a two-year, $10 million contract with the Boston Celtics.
Boban Marjanovic agrees to a two-year, $7 million contract with the Dallas Mavericks.
Markieff Morris agrees to a two-year, $7.4 million contract with the Detroit Pistons.
Ivica Zubac agrees to a four-year, $28 million contract to return to the Los Angeles Clippers.
JaMychal Green agrees to a two-year, $10 million contract with the Los Angeles Clippers.
Yeah I'm not sure BAE is a convo starter tbh. I think he could get one year and $10M from NO worst case scenario. He might get closer to a Zubac type deal. I would not give him more than 3 years. He's very clearly better than many of the guys on that list... so not all good comps.

But that is what I'm kind of saying. He's starter quality... so you pay a premium... when others are getting by with paying less. It's why I'd want some variance in the type of big we got... so at least it'd add another dimension.

Yeah I'm not sure BAE is a convo starter tbh. I think he could get one year and $10M from NO worst case scenario. He might get closer to a Zubac type deal. I would not give him more than 3 years. He's very clearly better than many of the guys on that list... so not all good comps.

But that is what I'm kind of saying. He's starter quality... so you pay a premium... when others are getting by with paying less. It's why I'd want some variance in the type of big we got... so at least it'd add another dimension.
I'm not sure Favors is considered starter quality seeing as his body can't hold up as a starter.