What's new

Moving to Texas

Eminence

First big move of my adult life (22 now), going from South Dakota to Texas, any good advice that you wish you'd had during your first move?

For grad school down at A&M.

An Aggie huh?

Cool. Welcome to SEC.
Catch a UK bb game when we come to town.

Texas is pretty cool.. good people.

I moved there from Utah for the same reason. What are u planning to study?

Advice: bring furniture. You may think a grad student stipend is all the money in the world, it is not. Get your expensive stuff covered. I found Quality Used Furniture off of Texas Ave. to be helpful for cheap fill in type furniture. Still own some stuff from there. I preferred Downtown Bryan to Northgate. Its a proper downtown built when the town was a train station hub. Get involved with grad student social hours. Grad school can be incredibly isolating if you allow it to be. It might sound mechanical, but get out there and go to these staged events. You'll meet cool people in this way. Try to meet people outside of your degree. I studied geology which was cool, but i found I really got along with some people from sociology. Ended up grabbing drinks with them every friday and made some good friendships. Finally, go to Austin once in awhile for day hikes if you need to get out to nature for a bit. Its a nice place. Let me know if you have any questions.

First big move of my adult life (22 now), going from South Dakota to Texas, any good advice that you wish you'd had during your first move?

For grad school down at A&M.

Congrats on grad school!

I've lived as an adult in four states and one country outside of the U.S. Each had wonderful, unique things to offer. So that's my advice--try to find what's unique about that area, and engage in the local culture. I'm sure there are lots of cool things to see, to do, and to get involved with.