What's new

"Mr. Olynyk" featured on the NYT Travel page

r_u_s_t_b_u_c_k_e_t

Contributor
I clicked over to the NYT Travel page this morning and I see...

ko_nyt_travel.png

Here's a gift link to the article (Rudy also gets mentioned here):

Pick a city, any city, on the National Basketball Association’s 30-team circuit, and Kelly Olynyk, a forward for the Utah Jazz, has deep knowledge of the local restaurant scene.

If you are searching for top-tier sushi in Boston, where he spent his first four N.B.A. seasons, he recommends Fuji at Ink Block in the South End. In Charlotte, N.C., he will most likely suggest the smoked wings at Rooster’s Wood-Fired Kitchen. Whether you are craving the best Italian in San Francisco or in pursuit of tasty treats in Indianapolis — Mr. Olynyk knows a place. He is a 6-foot-11 human version of Yelp.

“You have spots in each city that you love and know you can count on,” said Mr. Olynyk, 32, after eating at thousands of restaurants over the 10 years he has played professionally on five N.B.A. teams. “But part of having an interest in different cultures and cuisines and restaurants is trying new ones.” ...

Our Canadian colleagues have contributed much to the NBA, and it is time to give be a shout out to Sir Kelly Tyler Olynyk. This crafty veteran, who bares such a resemblance to Bill Walton that he could be his illegitimate son, “passes” the ball to other Jazz players accurately and throws the ball into the goal prodigiously. He can fall down and make it look like an opposing team member pushed him. I salute Sir Kelly.