What's new

Musk's Twitter starts banning journalists

Roger Stone and other insurrections have been allowed back into the platform while journalists covering Musk are being banned. I’m sure we’ll see outrage from Fox News and other RW pundits who have declared themselves to be “free speech absolutists.”

Free speech absolutist... not so much. No reasonable person is a free speech absolutist, not Musk now apparently. Musk is not a reasonable person but taking on the garbage pail that is twitter is teaching him a few things about the dangers of providing a platform for harmful communications.

Looks like Aaron posted an update:

UPDATE: It occurred to me just after I published this that I did post a tweet yesterday noting that the ElonJet account that was suspended from Twitter was still active on Facebook, with a link to the Facebook page. Perhaps that did it, but I still don’t know what policy that could’ve possibly violated.

This is related to the trading card story, but it’s Trump announcing his free speech policy, and seems appropriate here. The business about freedom to accuse anyone of disinformation or misinformation is interesting, since it seems that’s a no-no, and costly, and remindful of don’t contradict Big Brother, or the “preferred reality” bubble. Not that Trump 2 seems likely at the moment.

View: https://twitter.com/Frenchy415/status/1603546089881305089

ElonJet was tweeting publicly available information, in which is in compliance with Twitter's rules, even for real time locations.
Except it isn’t…

F7BFCB4C-C82F-4CD1-9147-15C5628C0A70.png

Just follow the rules. This is the second time you guys have brought this up. Thinking it’s some conspiracy to go after the left. It isn’t, just people not following the rules. It’s also a private company…do you still agree with this?

7EEE34B6-C08F-4457-B67A-BD1F628AAE01.jpeg

It should be stated that few if any of the journalists suspended yesterday were tweeting Musk’s location. They appear to have been suspended because they were critical of the “free speech absolutist” who owns twitter. Those tweeting his location were tweeting out publicly available information. If only there was some sort of term that could describe this action of canceling others whom Musk disagrees with. A type of culture that cancels unpopular opinions. Hmmm

I guess tweeting out Musk’s location is a greater threat than allowing those who incited Jan 6 to remain on Twitter. Cuz free speech and violating policies and safety and stuff.

It is only a matter of time for twitter to devolve into just another white supremacist internet echo chamber.
Cuz they don’t have enough of those… 4 Chan… 8 Chan… Parler. Truth. Facebook. NRA tv. Newsmax. Fox News. OANN. Bannon. Rogan. Shapiro. Owens. Kirk. The list goes on and on and on and on and on.

Except it isn’t…

View attachment 13548

Just follow the rules. This is the second time you guys have brought this up. Thinking it’s some conspiracy to go after the left. It isn’t, just people not following the rules. It’s also a private company…do you still agree with this?

View attachment 13549
That's just it, it isn't private information.

Cuz they don’t have enough of those… 4 Chan… 8 Chan… Parler. Truth. Facebook. NRA tv. Newsmax. Fox News. OANN. Bannon. Rogan. Shapiro. Owens. Kirk. The list goes on and on and on and on and on.
The problem is that if the community isn't fairly heavily moderated then it always devolves into the extremes. They are the loudest and they are the bullies, so the regular folks go elsewhere, or get swept up in the chaos, feeling like they are part of some counter-culture insurgency righting all the wrongs, whatever they have deluded themselves into believing those wrongs are. This is a large part of why I do not engage in any social media, really. Jazz Fanz and a few other forums are my only "social media" and the other forums are more geek-centric some with strict no-politics policies.

As a side note, I otherwise try to do the weird thing in the world today, I try to talk to real flesh and blood people. During COVID we have cut down on these interactions, but we regularly host(ed) barbecues or dinners or block parties or whatever you want to call it for people in our church, and not in our church, and from work, or from the neighborhood, and they are usually really well-received. And it is there I try to talk to people about current events, and get a different perspective. But it is NOT the norm. When I approached a guy that just moved in this last summer about coming to one of our gatherings, he was genuinely perplexed, like "you want to have us come to dinner, at your house, and we can sit around and talk", I mean it was weird. But he came and brought his fam and has come to a few more since. Probably mostly for the ribs and pulled pork, but most people enjoy the discussions because it is a lot of diverse backgrounds in a non-threatening setting and without the toxic anonymity of the cesspools of FB and Twitter.

Don't get me wrong, we don't always have these in-depth philosophical conversations and ****, mostly it is sports and what the kids are up to and how's work, but we do get into some really interesting exchanges about things like BLM and Trump and Jan 6, etc. I highly recommend it if you can pull it off in your neighborhood. Plus I find new basketball players this way for our Saturday morning games at the local park, or at least rope people into it. lol

Oh and another big benefit of this is we tend to look out for each other, like when we are away on vacation and such. My neighbor has a key to my house and I have one to his and the code to his security system.

Won't be long and that 75" OLED will be MINE!!!! bu-wah hah hah hah!!!

Lol. musk is a hypocrite. Those defending him are just tribal babies who’ve had their brains rotted out by partisanship.

View: https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/1603611316035395586?s=46&t=zjrZQiBF3NjXTOWYwFfiOA

B3493856-A3E1-48BE-ABA8-32EB37B4E9AD.jpeg
This you? “They can carry whatever they want”
You defended twitter banning Alex Jones and now if someone stands up for Elon for temporary suspending, then they are “tribal babies who’ve had their brains rotted out by partisanship”

Why can’t you just say that he can do want he wants, like you did before?

View attachment 13550
This you? “They can carry whatever they want”
You defended twitter banning Alex Jones and now if someone stands up for Elon for temporary suspending, then they are “tribal babies who’ve had their brains rotted out by partisanship”

Why can’t you just say that he can do want he wants, like you did before?
LOL. You’re missing some crucial context here. If conservatives like you want me to treat them as good faith actors and not trolls, you can’t do this. Cc @One Brow this Is EXACTLY what I’m talking about. Buck isn’t being honest or arguing in good faith here. If “conservatives” on this site want to be treated respectfully and not easily dismissed as trolls by me, then they need to do a better job than this. This post was merely a troll job to illicit an emotional reaction rather than accurately and honestly debate. Do you disagree? @One Brow? I hope you hold conservatives to a similar standard you hold me. One shouldn’t be making hasty troll job posts, lame attempts at “gotcha” rather than seriously debate issues in a respectful and honest manner.

By 2018, Alex Jones had lied about ****ing children being massacred at Sandy Hook which led to parents receiving threats. So not the same as journalists who have been suspended for… *checks notes* not sucking up to Elon/holding opposing political views.

Elon Musk has been whining for months about being a “free speech” guy. He’s pro free speech when it means inviting insurrectionists, anti semites, and other RW bros who suck him off. He’s suddenly pro moderation when dealing with journalists and political opponents.

Elon has the right to ban whoever he wants according to whatever policy he seems to pull out of his *** these days. It’ll lead to the collapse of twitter, but I’m also fine with him burning $44 billion in stupid ways. The fact that you don’t see this has hypocritical coming from a guy who pretends to care about free speech just shows how partisanship has rotted out your brain.

If you’re going to claim to be a free speech absolutist and free accounts from nutjobs and racists but ban journalists, you’re *not* a free speech absolutist. It may be within your right to do that on a social media platform. The first amendment defends your right to do this. But you’re clearly not a free speech absolutist. Again, if you can’t see this, then it’s partisanship that has rotted out your brain.

Last edited: