What's new

My faith in Exum has been broken

He has in and out dribble, I know that, but I don't think it's with change of speed.

The biggest thing I notice on Exum dribbling is that it gets higher when he aggressively drives and has contact. That is when most of his lost ball turnovers have occurred.

When he has some space and is able to go to his quick cross or in and out, its pretty tight and compact for a player his size.

Added strength should help as his body matures and he is better able to absorb contact and maintain control of the ball.

Sent from my A0001 using JazzFanz mobile app

Exum's handles are so wack. He will never be a good guard without them.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Its so weird why people on this site defend Exum. If Exum was on another team. Not one person here would think he is good, or going to be good.

If Exum was on another team. Not one person here would think he is good, or going to be good.

I think this is true.

Maybe we could lower expectations a bit. I'm confident he'll be a good point guard in the future. Solid offensively and almost elite on d. I could live with that if you've got the team around him. Like lots have said, let's be a bit more patient.
He won't be a bust but prob not the saviour some had hoped for...
Lucky we have the mighty Rudy locked down for a few years... build around him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is one lineup and is extremely limited... Exum is also part of our worst 5 man lineup, but I'm guessing you looked past that.

That lineup is not limited with him it is our most played lineup and our 2 main starting groups. I did factor in all lineups. Exum came out with a net positive across all lineups.

https://3ball.io/exum-drive

https://3ball.io/exum-assist

Here are some of the assists and drives from Exum. I think he shows plenty of skills in these. He is finishing shots at the rim at 52% right now. I wish that was higher but that is not a terrible number especially since he rarely gets calls.

Exum is making a higher percentage of of his 2 point shots than George Hill and DWill did at the same age (technically Hill was 1 year older but his first NBA season) and a better shooting percentage than Hill overall. Exum has shot about the same 3 point percentage as Hill did when they were both rookies. Of course Hill was 22 and Exum was 18. Exum changed his shot this year quite a bit and that takes time to be consistent. The change was needed and looks much better. He will start hitting that shot better than he did his rookie year and improve it. Exum has a better true shooting % than Dwill or Hill at the same age. Per 100 and just overall Exum has a much lower turnover rate than either of those players did.

I love this thread and all the different perspectives. Obviously we are all fans of basketball, not just fans of winning or we wouldn't have followed the Jazz all these years. Each player brings a different level of excitement and questions. In that regard Dante has been fascinating.

That lineup is not limited with him it is our most played lineup and our 2 main starting groups. I did factor in all lineups. Exum came out with a net positive across all lineups.

The sample size is crazy limited though... even though it was our most used lineup. It does not reflect HIS contributions either.

I hope he becomes a jazz great... but I'm also not putting my faith in him. Lyles has sucked this year too, but we've seen consistent stretches of good basketball from him in the past and outside of defensive challenges he doesn't seem to have fatal flaws.

lol would you like a tissue to mop up your bitter tears ?

I'd say the same thing to Vossy .. he's really got no idea what he's talking about. Like it or lump it that's the truth

Haha.

I'm pretty confident I know what I'm talking about.

My fathers a club doctor at the Gold Coast Suns, he deals with players that have knee tendinitis quite often.

https://3ball.io/exum/0021600382_29

Good in and out dribble. Doesnt finish but still a nice move.

https://3ball.io/exum/0021600173_38

Maybe my favorite Exum move of the year. Crosses up Wade goes up high and focuses on the rim to finish through Lopez.

https://3ball.io/exum/0021600151_15

Also the slight head fake/hesitation to get Conley to jump was nice here.

https://3ball.io/exum/0021600151_186

And the rare pull up midrange attempt. Dont see getting it off being an issue.

A lot of the plays I see from Exum is that he does nice stuff to get into the paint, but he either picks up his dribble a step too early and barely misses finishes. I expect that these will start to drop more frequently at some point once he gets more comfortable then you have a pretty good player on your hands.

Man, can we merge these Exum threads? I feel like im arguing Exum in 3 different threads.

Oh how we forget when Hayward was a rookie. Or Favors even. Most rookies struggle. He may not be a star. But if he fixes his handle and gets better at his jump shot, he could be decent contributor for the Jazz. Besides that Quin is supposedly good at helping develop players and making them better. Exum should be a prime example and showing of how good a development coach Snyder is.

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz mobile app

Haha.

I'm pretty confident I know what I'm talking about.

My fathers a club doctor at the Gold Coast Suns, he deals with players that have knee tendinitis quite often.

So your dad is familiar with the specifics of the Utah jazz players conditions ? He's got access to their medical records ??

Btw the Suns have completely stunk ...

lets be clear here, he may get good someday, but has has been awful this season, and his rookie season.

of the 84 guards that have played 500 minutes this season he ranks 82nd of 84 in PER

he ranked 126th of 127 guards (500+ minutes) in PER his rookie year.

if he wasnt a 5th pick (having so much invested in him), tbh at this point he'd probably be out of the league

lets be clear here, he may get good someday, but has has been awful this season, and his rookie season.

of the 84 guards that have played 500 minutes this season he ranks 82nd of 84 in PER

if he wasnt a 5th pick (having so much invested in him), tbh at this point he'd probably be out of the league

No, that's a stupid comment.

How long is Favors going to be 1/4th the player he was/is? Another 15 games? More?

Yeah, well analytics aren't everything and I don't think he'd be out of the league because of his length and athletic ability. I've seen this kid do a couple of things this year that very few players are capable of. One was a three point make hoisted at the end of the shot clock where the ball had barely even rested in his hands - reminiscent of the famous Trevor Booker underhanded behind the back shot. The other was a sharp cut to the basket and make off from what started out to be a cut across the lane. I guess I don't get the "he looks awkward" comments because he's obviously finishing off from the wrong foot at times to throw off shot blockers; or the three point shot criticism as his shot production looks clinical to me (nice quick release), just confidence at times IMO; or the lack of a pull up - why pull up when you can beat everybody to the rim? He'd be in the league if it was just his defense but he's also good off the pick and roll and an excellent passer with a deft touch for hitting people on the alley-oop.

To prove he's just going through a crisis of confidence right now, here are some highlights from preseason:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hy1GVX9mQKE

Yeah, well analytics aren't everything and I don't think he'd be out of the league because of his length and athletic ability. I've seen this kid do a couple of things this year that very few players are capable of. One was a three point make hoisted at the end of the shot clock where the ball had barely even rested in his hands - reminiscent of the famous Trevor Booker underhanded behind the back shot. The other was a sharp cut to the basket and make off from what started out to be a cut across the lane. I guess I don't get the "he looks awkward" comments because he's obviously finishing off from the wrong foot at times to throw off shot blockers; or the three point shot criticism as his shot production looks clinical to me (nice quick release), just confidence at times IMO; or the lack of a pull up - why pull up when you can beat everybody to the rim? He'd be in the league if it was just his defense but he's also good off the pick and roll and an excellent passer with a deft touch for hitting people on the alley-oop.

To prove he's just going through a crisis of confidence right now, here are some highlights from preseason:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hy1GVX9mQKE

sure he shows flashes. almost every player shows flashes at some point. but lets be frank here, in a league where the average player tenure is somewhere around 4.5 years, being one of the worst guards in the league a few years in a row wouldn't bode well for most players not in exum's coddled situation. he's lucky he has a patient front office backing him, lets put it that way.