What's new

Myles Turner?

Saint Cy of JFC

2022 Award Winner
I was perusing potential free agents in 2025 and Myles Turner kind of stuck out to me.

Utah has shown an interest in playing five out, to the point where they perused Porzingis.

I know the Jazz dont currently have cap-space to sign a UFA like Turner, but they can open up space with trades. Do we think Utah would be interested in Turner?

I know his defensive numbers werent good this past year, but that's mostly due to Indy's playstyle (I would assume).

I'd like a little more playmaking if we sacrifice that much rebounding. But since his low rebounding is more of an offensive rebounding issue than a defensive rebounding one, I could see some potential interest.

I'm irrationally high on Turner, so I would love for the Jazz to get him. He's so important to Indiana that I can't imagine them not giving him a lot of money unless they are really disappointing this year for some reason.

The Jazz should try and open up a max slot next off season. Even if it isn't to sign someone, it just gives us more flexibility. I'm guessing that means offloading Collins?

Y
I'd like a little more playmaking if we sacrifice that much rebounding. But since his low rebounding is more of an offensive rebounding issue than a defensive rebounding one, I could see some potential interest.
Yeah, it's a product of where he is on the court on offense. His DRB% is just a tick lower than Kessler's the last two seasons.

Seems like a difficult target to get. IND would have no way of replacing him, so unless they want one of our players it's likely he will be back in IND. They will pay up. The Jazz also have a difficult path to cap space. They would have to get rid of Collins, but it will be difficult to find a partner and it would come at a hefty cost. Trade him to BKN with two bad firsts and then sign Turner? I guess....but IND is still a better basketball situation for him.

As a player, I think he's ok. His defense has fallen off significantly in the last few years. One could attribute that to the system...but he's complicit in the "no defense" mentality IND has. On the other hand, his offense has gotten significantly better.

I'm lukewarm. He's not really a ball mover, not a driver and not much of a self-creator, all qualities that I would consider to be real advantages for a stretch-5.

I'm lukewarm. He's not really a ball mover, not a driver and not much of a self-creator, all qualities that I would consider to be real advantages for a stretch-5.
He's a rim protector who can shoot and rebound, there's only a few starter quality players who have those traits. If he had ball moving, driving, and self-creation he'd be a max player.

Seems like a difficult target to get. IND would have no way of replacing him, so unless they want one of our players it's likely he will be back in IND. They will pay up. The Jazz also have a difficult path to cap space. They would have to get rid of Collins, but it will be difficult to find a partner and it would come at a hefty cost. Trade him to BKN with two bad firsts and then sign Turner? I guess....but IND is still a better basketball situation for him.

As a player, I think he's ok. His defense has fallen off significantly in the last few years. One could attribute that to the system...but he's complicit in the "no defense" mentality IND has. On the other hand, his offense has gotten significantly better.
Is Indy a team that usually pays the tax? I would assume anything north of 25 million per year would make them a significant tax paying team.

Indy has a lot of interesting young players. I'm sure they could make some moves to get a replacement.

Is Indy a team that usually pays the tax? I would assume anything north of 25 million per year would make them a significant tax paying team.

Indy has a lot of interesting young players. I'm sure they could make some moves to get a replacement.

It's a fair point, the Pacers have never paid the luxury tax. Having said that, I think they've made moves that suggest that they're prepared to pay the tax and buy into this group instead of skirting by the tax. In addition to Siakam, they re-signed Nembhard, Toppin, and McConnell. They could have probably brought back Turner without going over the tax next summer had they not given any one of those three a deal. Either that's a terrible failure of planning, or they are committed to keeping this group together.

Counterpoint: If was already a done deal that they were going to pay Turner and are OK with paying the tax....why does Turner not have a deal yet? A 140% increase would have him starting at ~$28M which should be more than enough for him.

I'm down, since it's next off season.

Sent from my CPH2451 using Tapatalk

It is incredibly easy to build a team that reliably finishes in the 6-8 range and loses in the first round. That's because in any given season in each conference there are about 3 teams that are tanking, 1-2 teams that have finished tanking but their roster is still young and does not win many games, at least one good team that has been hit by a string of injuries etc.

Getting players like Turner, Ingram or Collins is a sure way to build such a team.

It is incredibly easy to build a team that reliably finishes in the 6-8 range and loses in the first round. That's because in any given season in each conference there are about 3 teams that are tanking, 1-2 teams that have finished tanking but their roster is still young and does not win many games, at least one good team that has been hit by a string of injuries etc.

Getting players like Turner, Ingram or Collins is a sure way to build such a team.
Uhh, this is such a dumb statement. If you are overpaying these players at the expense of an ability to make another move, sure, but Utah is Utah.

If they have cap-space and a guy like Turner wants to come, you probably sign him. He also probably makes you a pretty good team. They also have a ton of draft assets and rookie contract players to make further moves. Not every player on your roster has to be an all-star and the Utah Jazz are probably not attracting all-stars in free agency.

And Myles Turner was literally just on a team that made it to the conference finals and arguably gave Boston the hardest series....

He averaged 17 ppg while shooting 45% from 3 on 5 attempts in the playoffs. I would sure hate to have that player on my team. /sarcasm.

It's true that it is hard to build a contender with highly paid, non top 30 players, but when your star level players are on rookie level contracts then it works just fine.

Usually/Always (I can't think of any exceptions) teams wait until they know they have a rookie who is going to be a star level player before they start acquiring they guys that fit around them. So it's really hard for me to imagine the Jazz drafting Flagg, for example, and not at least wanting to see him play a little before adding guys like Turner around him. On the other hand, if Lauri takes a step forward and/or one of our young guys look amazing, then we might already have the pieces that make the FO feel like they can start adding guys like Turner.

We also might just be the exception to the rule where because we have Lauri we get impatient and decide to just hope our 2025 draft pick is a stud and skip some steps to a degree.

Back