What's new

Myles Turner?

Counterpoint: If was already a done deal that they were going to pay Turner and are OK with paying the tax....why does Turner not have a deal yet? A 140% increase would have him starting at ~$28M which should be more than enough for him.
I don`t think they can extend him. He did a renegotiation and extensions in January 2023 that put one more year on his deal. AFAIK deals have to be for at least three years to be extension eligble.

It's true that it is hard to build a contender with highly paid, non top 30 players, but when your star level players are on rookie level contracts then it works just fine.

Usually/Always (I can't think of any exceptions) teams wait until they know they have a rookie who is going to be a star level player before they start acquiring they guys that fit around them. So it's really hard for me to imagine the Jazz drafting Flagg, for example, and not at least wanting to see him play a little before adding guys like Turner around him. On the other hand, if Lauri takes a step forward and/or one of our young guys look amazing, then we might already have the pieces that make the FO feel like they can start adding guys like Turner.

We also might just be the exception to the rule where because we have Lauri we get impatient and decide to just hope our 2025 draft pick is a stud and skip some steps to a degree.
The dream is getting Flagg while being able to get off enough money at the deadline to open up significant cap-space. Not a lot of teams in 2025 will have cap-space (I think, far from a cap expert, quite uninformed in that regard), so you may be able to get these high level non-allstars for a decent deal (of course with the Utah tax added on most likely).

Idk, I just think the idea of Lauri/Turner spacing the floor for Flagg while you bring Walker off the bench as a dominant rim protector is a good outcome for a team that can compete for a ring within Flagg's rookie contract (assuming he's the real deal).

Best case scenario is that you have a 14% chance at Flagg, so I wouldn’t be pencilling any specific prospects into the lineup…but Lauri+Turner is theoretically good for just about any player on offense because of the spacing (though Turner’s shooting is overrated).

I don’t think, however, it’s very good defensively. Lauri is just neutral and Turner is also neutral at best right now and trending to be below average. Hard to build a defense with two bigs who aren’t clear plus defenders. Possible, but difficult.

On top of that, you would also need the other players to carry the playmaking/ball handling duties. So you need your surrounding players to both carry the offensive creation load and the defense. You kind of end up in a place where you need an extremely unique player(s) to make it work. If you win the lotto and have Flagg….ok that’s probably a good idea. But you need that extreme stroke of luck to consider a move like this.

Best case scenario is that you have a 14% chance at Flagg, so I wouldn’t be pencilling any specific prospects into the lineup…but Lauri+Turner is theoretically good for just about any player on offense because of the spacing (though Turner’s shooting is overrated).

I don’t think, however, it’s very good defensively. Lauri is just neutral and Turner is also neutral at best right now and trending to be below average. Hard to build a defense with two bigs who aren’t clear plus defenders. Possible, but difficult.

On top of that, you would also need the other players to carry the playmaking/ball handling duties. So you need your surrounding players to both carry the offensive creation load and the defense. You kind of end up in a place where you need an extremely unique player(s) to make it work. If you win the lotto and have Flagg….ok that’s probably a good idea. But you need that extreme stroke of luck to consider a move like this.
Sure, but I'm somewhat certain the goal is to get off some combo of Sexton/Clarkson/Collins, so it's not like it's just a Turner or bust strategy.

Uhh, this is such a dumb statement. If you are overpaying these players at the expense of an ability to make another move, sure, but Utah is Utah.

If they have cap-space and a guy like Turner wants to come, you probably sign him. He also probably makes you a pretty good team. They also have a ton of draft assets and rookie contract players to make further moves. Not every player on your roster has to be an all-star and the Utah Jazz are probably not attracting all-stars in free agency.
That is exactly what I was saying: players like Turner and Ingram make you you a pretty good team (6th-8th) fast. And then you get stuck being a pretty good team because going forward you will not have high picks or a lot of cap space. Your only hope at landing a true superstar who can power you to the contender status is hoping that your "ton of draft assets and rookie contract players" by sheer luck turns into star players. In case of the Jazz it would be finding a star among 25th-27th CLE/MIN picks or someone like Filipowski or Collier suddenly exploding. And yes, once in a while you find a random Jokic or Butler for nothing. But 90% of those teams would remain being pretty good teams for a long while.

By the way, players like Turner are effectively signed/traded for all the time - by teams that already secured their star building block. That's why Denver got Gordon and Mavs - Washington and Gafford., But they made sure that they have Jokic and Luka/Kyrie first. And all that the Jazz have now is Lauri who did not even make an All Star team last year.

Sure, but I'm somewhat certain the goal is to get off some combo of Sexton/Clarkson/Collins, so it's not like it's just a Turner or bust strategy.

I wouldn't go for this type of move unless we win the lottery. If it was signing Turner outright into cap space and we had Flagg, I would maybe think about it....but it would likely cost multiple firsts to create the cap space. You really need unique talents to round out the roster. Dominant ball handlers who can also elevate a defense is a difficult combo. It works with Flagg, but what doesn't work with Flagg?

What Turner is actually really good at is rolling to the basket. He's really good around the basket and in floater range, but his defense and shooting are just ok. I would be skeptical of giving him a big contract outright, and I wouldn't want to spend the assets to create cap space for him.

Back