What's new

Name a player that wouldve won Stockton & Malone rings.

Allan Houston.

96-97, Houston would've been the perfect fit. That's probably a 3-peat in the making. I guess you S&T Hornacek for Houston to make it happen.

Stockton
Houston
Russell
Malone
Ostertag
Why not Hakeem or Reggie Miller or Mitch Richmond? But you come up with Houston who was only minimally better than Jeff Hornacek. Houston seems so much out of left field.

Probably Rony Seikaly.

05f0873e-de05-4c61-958a-a9535df8321e_text.gif

Why not Hakeem or Reggie Miller or Mitch Richmond? But you come up with Houston who was only minimally better than Jeff Hornacek. Houston seems so much out of left field.
I'm thinking realistic options. How would we have acquired Reggie or Hakeem? Maybe we could've got Hakeem when he was washed up and went to Toronto. Houston was a free agent in 96-97, and could create his shot a lot better than Hornacek could.

It may depend a little on how innovative Jerry Sloan was. If Karl Malone played at the 5 and someone like Cliff Robinson played at the 4, it would have given them even more scoring than what players like Ostertag and an aging Antoine Carr could provide. Realistically, anyone more offensively versatile than Ostertag could have made a difference for the Jazz, but a stretchy 5 like Sam Perkins would have been interesting to try. That would have made it harder to double-team Karl Malone.

Last edited:
I honestly don't think replacing Horny with Houston would have done anything. Replacing Russell with Houston? Maybe. But Houston was not a good defender, although he was an excellent scorer. Might have helped to have him alongside Malone to help give an extra punch on offense, but his defense would have been pretty bad on MJ. At least Russell gave a strong effort.

But a lineup of

Stockton
Hornacek
Houston
Malone
Tag

May have been enough. Tough to say. But definitely still a long-shot. Definitely not THE guy that would have put us over the top.

I honestly don't think replacing Horny with Houston would have done anything. Replacing Russell with Houston? Maybe. But Houston was not a good defender, although he was an excellent scorer. Might have helped to have him alongside Malone to help give an extra punch on offense, but his defense would have been pretty bad on MJ. At least Russell gave a strong effort.

But a lineup of

Stockton
Hornacek
Houston
Malone
Tag

May have been enough. Tough to say. But definitely still a long-shot. Definitely not THE guy that would have put us over the top.
Horny was on his last leg literally. Having someone better in that spot for the finals would have been huge. He was so good though for those teams… just didn’t have enough left at the highest level.

Honestly having Seikley or Ike Austin may have been enough to push those teams over. They were so close the last dance year.

If Rony Seikaly had showed up I think that would have been what we needed. He was exactly the kind of piece we needed to get us over the top. The Bulls didn't really have anyone to contain a player like him, alongside Malone. I think that would have been enough.
Honestly the two guys we traded for that never showed up in Harper and Seikaly were very much the types we needed. Sucks.

There were a few players that I think could have helped in the 97 offseason as I thought about this in years past.

Not even talking trades, there were a lot of good free agents that last year as I recall: Bruce Bowen, Bison Dele, Horry, Brian Grant was a beast at the time. Pretty sure they were all free agents we could have had without any trades, but I may be misremembering.

Problem is we were over the salary cap, so had limited flexibility.

Honestly the two guys we traded for that never showed up in Harper and Seikaly were very much the types we needed. Sucks.
Yep. Good thing they prioritized access to good clubs and hookers over a ring. Obviously had their priorities straight.