What's new

Name the Hayward's risks in not signing extension with the Jazz

oldtimer

Name Hayward's risks in not signing extension with the Jazz

1. Terrible career ending injury. Never gets life changing money.
2. Jazz play him and give him every option to be the man but he proves he is no better than 3rd option. His value falls from 10 million a year to 7-8 million a year.
3. Due to market conditions and cap ramifications no offer comes when he is a RFA. The jazz then lower the offer to 8.5 million per year
4. The jazz trade him to a crappy team with lots of infighting, like the kings.
5. Jazz fans and mormons hate him forever throughout eternity

Last edited:
I think the most likely result of not siging the extension and playing out the season is that he finds out his market value is about 10-11 million per year and he took needless risks by not signing the extension. Of course there is a small chance he could blow the top off and have a great year and get close to the max. However in my mind the risks he faces are too great for the chance the gets a really big offer next year.

It's all the agents fault. I hate agents, they constantly try to get the absolute most they can out of the organization. I am a Jazz fan, not a Hayward fan. Obviously as long as Hayward is on the team I will root for him, but the team comes first. That means that I am also a fan of the front office and their cap situation so when a player's agent holds out in behalf of the player for more than the player is truly worth it bothers me. I was glad when they passed on Matthews. I was pissed when AK got the max, becuase in part at least for the way he went about it. (matching Pau's massive deal just on potential)

It's all the agents fault. I hate agents, they constantly try to get the absolute most they can out of the organization. I am a Jazz fan, not a Hayward fan. Obviously as long as Hayward is on the team I will root for him, but the team comes first. That means that I am also a fan of the front office and their cap situation so when a player's agent holds out in behalf of the player for more than the player is truly worth it bothers me. I was glad when they passed on Matthews. I was pissed when AK got the max, becuase in part at least for the way he went about it. (matching Pau's massive deal just on potential)

So basically they do their jobs and try to get their clients the best possible deal they can.

I get what you are saying about rooting for the Jazz over the players. Loved Millsap but I won't follow him anymore now that he is not in a Jazz uni.

1. Terrible career ending injury. Never gets life changing money.
2. Jazz play him and give him every option to be the man but he proves he is no better than 3rd option. His value falls from 10 million a year to 7-8 million a year.
3. Due to market conditions and cap ramifications no offer comes when he is a RFA. The jazz then lower the offer to 8.5 million per year
4. The jazz trade him to a crappy team with lots of infighting, like the kings.
5. Jazz fans and mormons hate him forever throughout eternity

I think #2 or #3 are the most likely outcomes.

AK at the max was a mistake and Hayward at the max would be a mistake too. If he takes his game to another level this year, then perhaps, but I think $10M to $11M is fair. If he wants to be here, he'll take it, if not, so be it.

So basically they do their jobs and try to get their clients the best possible deal they can.
Sure. Highway patrols are doing their jobs when they give you a ticket for going over the speed limit. (at the bottom of a hill because people coast down hills faster) and most people hate them too. Lawyers are doing their jobs defending murders and getting their sentence reduced so they can pretend to be a reformed person and get out early and murder again. We hate them too. It makes me feel good inside when a player represents himself, and especially when they give the home team a discount. Again, Agents are the reason that players preforming the same abilities are making ten times what they were twenty years ago, and inflation doesn't cover that kind of a gap. Oh, and guess who pays their salary? (spoiler alert: us)

Every takes abou the max- but the Max for Hayward is lower than for older players. I believe the max he can be offered is about 13.7 million unless he makes the ALL-NBA team a couple of times. This is the Paul George 5 years 80 million contract. As a RFA he could be offered a four year deal at 25% the salary cap.

So that is the Jazz's risk- Hayward blows up and gets offered 4 yrs of 25% of the Salary Cap.

In no way shape or form is this as big as AK's contract.

However, I think everyone agg

The more we pay him in this extension, the higher his next extension will be, so the number of years is not important it's the per year, and from my chair, that looks comperable to AK's.

The more we pay him in this extension, the higher his next extension will be, so the number of years is not important it's the per year, and from my chair, that looks comperable to AK's.

There is no "next extension" Hayward will become an unrestricted free agent after this contract is up.

I think #2 or #3 are the most likely outcomes.

really? cause I think 2 and 3 are not likely at all. I can't think of a previous example of a wing player getting less after declining an extension earlier in the season. All GMs know Hayward isn't a 1st option and you're not winning a championship with him as the 2nd option. He's on Batum's level, and he got 11.5mil/yr.

really? cause I think 2 and 3 are not likely at all. I can't think of a previous example of a wing player getting less after declining an extension earlier in the season. All GMs know Hayward isn't a 1st option and you're not winning a championship with him as the 2nd option. He's on Batum's level, and he got 11.5mil/yr.

That sounds just about right to me.

The scenarios I can see playing out are:

1. Hayward blows up this year, and figures out how to shoot better, becoming a max player to a team that has cap space (probably not a max offered by the Jazz) and the Jazz have to decide whether or not they match.

2. Hayward is what he is, and gets an offer for 11.5 million at the end of the season. The Jazz match, and are happy with Hayward for the next 4 years.

3. Hayward gets injured, or just has a bad year, and gets a contract for 9-10 million, not really leaving much on the table after turning down the Jazz's 4/40 offer for an extension. I highly doubt the Jazz would ever offer him less after not signing him to an extension the year before.

Risk to me is the team distraction

Get this done otherwise we will be fielding trade offers all year and giving major minutes to someone who may be gone

Risk to me is the team distraction

Get this done otherwise we will be fielding trade offers all year and giving major minutes to someone who may be gone

Help the tank

the 23 yr old has already made $11 million after this season, that's life changing money to me.

If i had 11 million I'd be set for life. I'd retire. Spend 1 million getting my house and all my toys. Then invest the remaining 10. Even if I only got 3% interest on that money that is 300,000 a year in interest. I can live comfortably on that. Especially since I own all my stuff outright.

He made 11 million so far

1/2 to Uncle Sam

Unsure how much to agent
Unsure how much union dues

Probably cleared 3

He made 11 million so far

1/2 to Uncle Sam

Unsure how much to agent
Unsure how much union dues

Probably cleared 3

2012 Utah Per Capita Income: $22,125
2012 Gordon Hayward: $2,709,720

Gordon Made 122 Times more than the average utahn last year. I'd call that life changing, no matter the tax hikes.