What's new

Name the Hayward's risks in not signing extension with the Jazz

He made 11 million so far

1/2 to Uncle Sam (fire your accountant)

Unsure how much to agent
Unsure how much union dues

Probably cleared 3

No wonder he won't spot his friends a Benjamin. Tough times for all of us.

He made 11 million so far

1/2 to Uncle Sam

Unsure how much to agent
Unsure how much union dues

Probably cleared 3

Unless he lives in some other country, he paid a maximum of 35% in income tax. He probably has some tax breaks, and other things, as he can pay smart accountants to do that for him. Anyway, if he has less than 5 million left, I would be surprised.

If i had 11 million I'd be set for life. I'd retire. Spend 1 million getting my house and all my toys. Then invest the remaining 10. Even if I only got 3% interest on that money that is 300,000 a year in interest. I can live comfortably on that. Especially since I own all my stuff outright.

i'm 25 and my cumulative income will just hit 100k this year. its ridiculous to think of the financial situations these early 20 yr olds are in.

Basketball players are actually worth quite a bit of money. A lot of it is talent, but they work really hard to be as good as they are and they deserve a payday. However, that payday IMO shouldn't go too much over a million a year, two for the superstars. The fact that they are making ten to thirty shows how delusional some pro fans are. having said that, I still don't think that what he has shown up to this point is over ten mil's worth, but it's close. I hope he doesn't go over 12, just for the sake of keeping the rest of the core.

Basketball players are actually worth quite a bit of money. A lot of it is talent, but they work really hard to be as good as they are and they deserve a payday. However, that payday IMO shouldn't go too much over a million a year, two for the superstars. The fact that they are making ten to thirty shows how delusional some pro fans are. having said that, I still don't think that what he has shown up to this point is over ten mil's worth, but it's close. I hope he doesn't go over 12, just for the sake of keeping the rest of the core.

You don't, by chance, live in a van down by the river... do you?

So if the players should only make one or two million, then what should the teams do with the rest of the money?

Gordon could lose his sweet Bailey's moving commercial. I'm sure he is being paid millions for that cheesy commercial...:D

So if the players should only make one or two million, then what should the teams do with the rest of the money?

what should they do?

feed the world
donate to disease research
educate the 3rd world

what would they do?

New yachts

I don't think there are many risks for Hayward, frankly, if the $ isn't where he wants it. The only glaring one is injury, obviously, but barring a torn achilles, ACL or the like I don't see an injury really dampening his value much this offseason.

The Jazz face more risk, in my opinion. If Hayward's healthy, and has a good season (anything in the range of 16-18 ppg, 4-6 rpg, 3-5 apg), it's almost a certainty someone will offer him a bloated contract ($13M+) in RFA next offseason. It happens every year - you can take that to the bank.

Bottom line - I'll be shocked if this deal doesn't get done before the deadline, in the ballpark of $11-$12M per year. It's in every athlete's best interest to lock in that long-term security, and I doubt the organization undervalues Hayward to the extent that they find that cap figure unreasonable (assuming they do indeed want him in their long-term plans, and they have a reasonable idea about what he'll command on the RFA market).

But Greg Miller feeds hungry people too... The zombie Delta Center has concession stands that over charge for food!

feeding =/= poisoning

didn't you see that thing in the news a few years back about all the rat ***** in NBA arena concession stands?

feeding =/= poisoning

didn't you see that thing in the news a few years back about all the rat ***** in NBA arena concession stands?

Faces?

So basically they do their jobs and try to get their clients the best possible deal they can.

I get what you are saying about rooting for the Jazz over the players. Loved Millsap but I won't follow him anymore now that he is not in a Jazz uni.
I'll check up on Sap to see his decline and then laugh.

really? cause I think 2 and 3 are not likely at all. I can't think of a previous example of a wing player getting less after declining an extension earlier in the season. All GMs know Hayward isn't a 1st option and you're not winning a championship with him as the 2nd option. He's on Batum's level, and he got 11.5mil/yr.

Probably a good comp. Hayward and his agent likely asked for the MAX. I'll bet he gets few offers in free agency as teams won't want to tie up that promise for the moratorium period + the extra few days Utah will take to match just out of spite. Even if Boston or Phoenix offered him $13M, I think the Jazz would match. He's too valuable to let get away for nothing in return.

Sure. Highway patrols are doing their jobs when they give you a ticket for going over the speed limit. (at the bottom of a hill because people coast down hills faster) and most people hate them too. Lawyers are doing their jobs defending murders and getting their sentence reduced so they can pretend to be a reformed person and get out early and murder again. We hate them too. It makes me feel good inside when a player represents himself, and especially when they give the home team a discount. Again, Agents are the reason that players preforming the same abilities are making ten times what they were twenty years ago, and inflation doesn't cover that kind of a gap. Oh, and guess who pays their salary? (spoiler alert: us)

Gawd damn. Now that's some stuff right there.