NBA Stars' Comments and Reactions to Rookie Donovan Mitchell

Discussion in 'Utah Jazz' started by jope, Feb 12, 2018.

1. ♪alt13

♪alt13 Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2013
    Rubio would be a FA the same year as KL. They could sign RR after KL and exceed the cap.
    Wouldn't 6 players at league minimum be closer to 3.5-4 million than 12. I'm not seeing how you made the jump from 68 million (6 players plus rubios hold) to 80 million.

edit: not that all those spots would go to league minimum as the Jazz would still be able to use the MLE to bring dudes in

2. NUMBERICA

NUMBERICA Well-Known Member

May 26, 2010
    Go big or go home. I'm not about hedge moves or Portland ********.

Players like Favors, Exum, and Rubio hardly move the needle and if the cost for going big is letting good - but replaceable - players go, then sign me up.

And you forgot Jimmy Butler. There's also another tier of very good players below them.

♪alt13 likes this.
  3. Jack Strop

Jack Strop Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2017
    That would be my attitude if I were a fan of any team EXCEPT Utah. We'll see if the attitude has changed around the league, but never has any star had Utah on his list of preferred destinations, either in free agency or via trade.

Boozer, Mirotic, Memo...and aging players who used to be stars: those are the players Utah has been able to attract.

4. NUMBERICA

May 26, 2010
    And there was a black guy with a weird name that gave a great speech at the 2004 DNC convention that did something nobody would've imagined, let alone ever did, because he struck when the iron was hot.

5. infection

infection Well-Known Member Staff Member 2019 Award Winner 2018 Award Winner

May 27, 2010
    Boozer and Memo both being all-stars. Not that I’d say don’t target a bigger fish, but I think we just need one solid guy and if they were at a Boozer/Memo caliber (same caliber not same flaws) then I’d say we’re contenders. Hell, that could be Mirotic if he were an 18 PPG guy.

6. cowhide

cowhide Well-Known Member

Jun 1, 2010
    Magic Johnson and Larry Bird.

elan_prodigy likes this.
  7. cowhide

cowhide Well-Known Member

Jun 1, 2010
    I know this is a sports board and it's purpose is to discuss Jazz basketball but the debate between who is the ROY seems to be impossible to decide. It is like Magic vs Bird, that argument continues today. If your from Boston then it is Bird and if you are from LA it is Magic. They're both great players just like DM and BS so maybe they both deserve it.

I am not going to bash BS and try to down play his abilities because he is putting up some impressive numbers. Saying his shot is a weakness well Magic wasn't the best shooter in the world either. I think BS has had the advantage going in because he was knighted ROY from the start so what DM has done is amazing. To basically come out of nowhere, he now has just as good a case as anyone to be the ROY. As a Jazzfan, I would love it if DM wins, how can anyone not love DM and his attitude? I will be a little disappointed but it isn't like they are giving it to an undeserving player in BS.

However, the NBA needs to change the rule, you are only a rookie once regardless if you are injured. That is my main reason why I would vote for DM. Performance wise they are both pretty equal in the way they have played even though their games a not similar. DM is the TRUE rookie of the year.

fishonjazz likes this.
  8. fishonjazz

fishonjazz Well-Known Member Contributor 2019 Award Winner 2018 Award Winner

Nov 4, 2010
    That gif is the GOAT and its not even close.

9. fishonjazz

fishonjazz Well-Known Member Contributor 2019 Award Winner 2018 Award Winner

Nov 4, 2010
    What is that first word?

10. NUMBERICA

May 26, 2010
    Motherfather.

fishonjazz likes this.
  11. MDAV28

MDAV28 Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2011
    No they cannot, this is the purpose of a cap hold. You have to renounce the bird rights (which allow you to sign your player even without cap space) to have the cap space. In this hypothetical situation, you have to renounce Rubio, sign KL, and use an exception (probably like $9 million non-taxpayer MLE) to resign Rubio

12. MDAV28

MDAV28 Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2011
    No way, you don't touch the Warriors, or even the Rockets right now, with that. I'm all on the shooting for a star bandwagon. You can tell free agency destinations are shifting away from big market into best chance to win.

13. yamers

yamers Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2012
    i think the jazz f.o. values favors more than you think

Ellis269 likes this.
  14. jazzfan1132

jazzfan1132 Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2011
    THIS IS BIG DREAM unless something happened in SA. In two years P.Gasol is old enough, changing of the guards could last and the big factor is POP how long he wants to coach, maybe we have a chance for KL.
    Next Question is all other 29 teams wants him right away so ...

fishonjazz likes this.
  15. Jack Strop

Jack Strop Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2017
    I'm calculating 6 players + 2 1st round picks (this year and next) PLUS Rubio's cap hold. As I said, I'm not 100% sure on Rubio's hold. I know it's generally higher than the previous contract. By how much (150%?), I'm not sure.

That get's Utah to 9 players and they have to add 4 more as minimum cap holds. That would be ~80M once they renounce everyone else (except Ricky).

Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
  16. jope

jope Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2010
    Lillard has gone on record about wanting to play for Utah many times. He’s locked up forever though.

17. Archie Moses

Archie Moses Well-Known Member

May 25, 2010
    I know board members like to get off reading about what other players, celebs, people and other board members say about Mitchell so I thought I'd switch it up a lil and give you something a lil different.

Who gives a **** about what people say about Mitchell when we can hear what Mitchell has to say, right? (Please don't take my words seriously. Read them knowing that more often than not, there's an attempt at humor in it, whether you like it or hate it. hehepeepeecaca)

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports...scar-robertson-donovan-mitchell-20180216.html

18. Joe Bagadonuts

Joe Bagadonuts Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2010
    What is it about watching Simmons behavior that reminds me of watching Hillary? Hmmm.