What's new

NBA Stars' Comments and Reactions to Rookie Donovan Mitchell

jope

I think it's time to post these here, if anything just for posterity's sake. Feel free to add more

Damian Lillard said:
I think he should be Rookie of the Year, for sure. Not just because of his numbers, but his impact on their team. He’s basically leading them. It’s special to see a rookie be able to do what he’s doing out there.

He’s a really, really, really good player, Not just for a rookie, just as a player in this league, period.

Lebron James said:

dV_OgOpU9R01E6QJ7n6uo6UHubKWHaKN9BB4j0FV1fY.jpg

OKC3 said:

Jimmy Butler said:

DeMar DeRozan said:

Awesome thread.

Not sure why it's that important to people that DM wins the ROY. I want him to feel slighted and use that as motivation for next year and beyond.

I dont think he needs any ammo for motivation. He has that category taken care of.

I want to see him win all of the awards for his sake because he deserves them.

At this point the only reason he might lose the ROY is because of East coast bias from media. A lot of them rarely if ever watch the Jazz play due to late games and not caring about them.

I dont think he needs any ammo for motivation. He has that category taken care of.

I want to see him win all of the awards for his sake because he deserves them.

At this point the only reason he might lose the ROY is because of East coast bias from media. A lot of them rarely if ever watch the Jazz play due to late games and not caring about them.
This is kind of BS. Looking at pure stats Simmons wins fairly handily. I love Donovan because he can score and has no glaring flaws in his game, unlike Simmons. But it is a very close race and people seem eager to pick Mitchell despite the stats because he’s so fun to watch.

If Mitchell earns it (20PPG or so + playoffs, and or Simmons stats go down a bit or Sixers fall out of the playoffs) he’ll get it.

This is kind of BS. Looking at pure stats Simmons wins fairly handily. I love Donovan because he can score and has no glaring flaws in his game, unlike Simmons. But it is a very close race and people seem eager to pick Mitchell despite the stats because he’s so fun to watch.

If Mitchell earns it (20PPG or so + playoffs, and or Simmons stats go down a bit or Sixers fall out of the playoffs) he’ll get it.

Well good news is besides the first month or so Mitchell has been much better and is well on track to score over 20 ppg if he keeps up at this rate and we will be in the playoffs.

Mitchell is leading the team to Wins. Simmons is a great player but not the leader of his team and shrinks when games matter in the 4th. Simmons stats are trending down and Mitchell keeps trending up. He surpassed him a month ago or so.

Simmons gets more assists but that is the system they are in and the position he plays. Our system is not built for 1 guy to get huge assists, look at Rubio. How many assists per game would Rubio have for the 76ers if he was their PG instead of Simmons?

Simmons gets rebounds but again it is his system. Advanced stats show they are all uncontested rebounds and the way they position him to get rebounds.

Mitchell is a vastly better scorer and far better at creating for himself. Then you look at the fact that Simmons plays in a faster pace team and gets more minutes. If you look at a PER 100 stats Mitchell is head and shoulders ahead of him. 10 more points per 100.

Simmons struggles against teams that are smart, he is easier to game plan for and he does not see the consistent double teams that Mitchell gets. Simmons gets the advantage of having Embiid doubled and far less attention. Mitchell is the one creating that advantage for the Jazz.

The both have advantages in stats but I dont think Simmons wins in stats handily. Its close but Mitchell is ahead now for anyone who watches both consistently.

Yo I have no issue with Mitchell>Simmons I’m all about that.

But I really don’t think it’s a done deal, and east coast bias just seems like a ready made excuse a Utah fan has. Even though i’d say public opinion favors Mitchell.

The NBA is a nationwide thing now with people falling in love with players of all teams. Mitchell is one of those players.

But I really don’t think it’s a done deal, and east coast bias just seems like a ready made excuse a Utah fan has. Even though i’d say public opinion favors Mitchell.

The NBA is a nationwide thing now with people falling in love with players of all teams. Mitchell is one of those players.
If you don't think an East Coast bias still exists then you are very naive. They don't even do it on purpose they just don't watch the game because the time they are played.

I want it for him just so that he can see that his hard work this year can pay off. I don't want he feeling like he can't get accolades because he plays for Utah.

It's fun to see Donovan sort of transcend that stigma. Honestly, as a fan in California, I feel like I see as many mentions of Donovan as Simmions on ESPN and other sports outlets - if not more. Also cool that he's already been recognized with the dunk contest invite, that is always a high-profile event.

No question he's one of the most entertaining, charismatic players in the league to watch and his star will only shine brighter as the years go by.

While some of that is true many East Coast media members readily admit they dont watch the Jazz and some other West teams and they are a decent chunk of the voters. Many of our games are far past their bed times.

While some of that is true many East Coast media members readily admit they dont watch the Jazz and some other West teams and they are a decent chunk of the voters. Many of our games are far past their bed times.
So they watch Simmons mistakes and all, and only see highlight reels and great plays by Mitchell. Not necessarily a bad thing.

Big problem going forward in this league. He MUST become at least a decent shooter. Otherwise coaches will exploit him badly going forward.

DFavs with more 3s than Simmons this season? Who would have ever predicted that? And Fultz.

Ya, Simmons stats have been coming down the last month.
If you don't think an East Coast bias still exists then you are very naive. They don't even do it on purpose they just don't watch the game because the time they are played.
Which is why there is east coast bias, just as Broncos states. That will never go away unless time zones go