What's new

NBA Stars' Comments and Reactions to Rookie Donovan Mitchell

Or it's just that Simmons is a douchebag.

Just guarded is my guess. His journey to the nba was totally different to most.

Media, pressure, expectation, relocating at what 15? Being the #1 highschool player in the nation to being #1 college recruit and #1 draft pick. He's had a lot of bad/negative media coverage over the years too.
What was the theme at LSU?
"he cant win", "he cant make it in the nba if he cant shoot", "hes a bad teammate", "he doesnt respect college tradition", "Spoilt and entitled".
Following his college career I felt there was always more rooting against him than for him. There was actually genuine discussion of him being a BUST!

Now in the NBA. The discussion around Simmons is centered around the ROTY and "red shirt" issue instead of focusing on his incredible play?

I would guess he has had very few positive experiences with the media and lets be honest. He doesnt need them.

Here is what the libertyballer says. Unless libertyballer lies, the record is 4~11.

" Donovan Mitchell's fans proclaim him to be the driving force in the Utah Jazz’ resurgence, ignoring the fact that during Rudy Gobert’s most recent absence, the team accumulated a record of 4-11. Since Gobert’s return, the Jazz are 11-2. Mitchell has been pretty incredible during the Jazz’ win streak, and they would not have won 10 straight without him. Mitchell, however, is not solely responsible for the team’s success and using the streak as evidence of his superiority to Simmons is faulty at best. "

#1 I don't even know who the **** libertyballer is. Why should I care?

#2 game logs on basketball reference clearly show that Gobert miss way more than just 15 games this season. And the Jazz is 11-15 without him(and 1-1 without Gobert or Mitchell)

Here is what the libertyballer says. Unless libertyballer lies, the record is 4~11.

" Donovan Mitchell's fans proclaim him to be the driving force in the Utah Jazz’ resurgence, ignoring the fact that during Rudy Gobert’s most recent absence, the team accumulated a record of 4-11. Since Gobert’s return, the Jazz are 11-2. Mitchell has been pretty incredible during the Jazz’ win streak, and they would not have won 10 straight without him. Mitchell, however, is not solely responsible for the team’s success and using the streak as evidence of his superiority to Simmons is faulty at best. "
He’s 10-14 without Gobert. Go check it. The qualifier added is “during Rudy Gobert’s most recent absence.”

He’s 10-14 without Gobert. Go check it. The qualifier added is “during Rudy Gobert’s most recent absence.”
"Most recent games" were also the ones against tougher opponents. Yet we still managed to beat Washington in Washington, beat Boston in Boston, etc.

Donovan Mitchell's stats are amazing when Rudy had to sit. He literally carried the team.
DM averaged 22pts/4reb/3.5asst/2.5to on 48%/33% shooting in the games Gobert did not play in

Now checkout this article written about the woes of Simmons when Embiid isn't carrying him.
https://www.si.com/nba/2018/01/10/philadelphia-76ers-ben-simmons-joel-embiid-brett-brown

some quotes :)

Lineups featuring Simmons but not Embiid eat about nine points per 100 possessions on average, a devastating figure that unwinds much of Philadelphia's best work.

Embiid's presence alone is the difference between Simmons taking 59% of his shots in the restricted area and 45%, per NBA.com

Simmons has taken all of 14 shots outside the paint this season in the 649 minutes he's played with Embiid. In the 666 he's played without him, he's attempted 37

It is not a coincidence that, without Embiid, Simmons effectively doubles his turnovers per minute

Donovan Mitchell's stats are amazing when Rudy had to sit. He literally carried the team.
DM averaged 22pts/4reb/3.5asst/2.5to on 48%/33% shooting in the games Gobert did not play in

Now checkout this article written about the woes of Simmons when Embiid isn't carrying him.
https://www.si.com/nba/2018/01/10/philadelphia-76ers-ben-simmons-joel-embiid-brett-brown

some quotes :)
Also hate to admit, but with Gobert being on the court lot of times it cuts Mitchell's driving lane and forces him to become a jumpshooter. He's less effective playing this way

Media, pressure, expectation, relocating at what 15? Being the #1 highschool player in the nation to being #1 college recruit and #1 draft pick. He's had a lot of bad/negative media coverage over the years too.
"he cant win", "he cant make it in the nba if he cant shoot", "hes a bad teammate", "he doesnt respect college tradition", "Spoilt and entitled".
Following his college career I felt there was always more rooting against him than for him. There was actually genuine discussion of him being a BUST!

Now in the NBA. The discussion around Simmons is centered around the ROTY and "red shirt" issue instead of focusing on his incredible play?

I would guess he has had very few positive experiences with the media and lets be honest. He doesnt need them.

Just watched “one and done” last night on Showtime (documentary about Simmons for those that haven’t seen or heard of it).

One of the biggest things I took away was his attitude, and the feeling of entitlement that he seemed to have while at LSU. Basically making a mockery of being in College. He was there because he had to, and didn’t seem to care if they won or lost, it was all about going through the motions in college to get it over with (he withdrew from school the day after they lost in the SEC tournament). The NCAA didn’t mean a thing to him. Just a necessary evil to get to the NBA.

Yes he was under a lot of scrutiny, and had a lot of negativity being directed toward him, but he did bring a lot of it on himself, maybe he was and still is a very unselfish player, but the critics that said he needed to be more involved in the closing of the games appear to have been correct, as it seems to have carried over to the NBA career that he has now.
Yes he’s a great player, and can fill a stat line, but when the games on the line, where is he? This is the only real knock (besides his lack of shooting the three ball) I see that until he changes it, will keep him out of the comparisons with the elite of the NBA, they want the ball in the closing moments and live to be in the moment.

Anyway, for anyone that would like a little more insight into Ben Simmons, watch the movie...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The biggest thing for me is how Mitchell steps up in crunch time. He could be shooting like crap, and struggle to score, but when the game is on the line his star shines brightest, I predict the jazz will win a ton of close games while Mitchell is here.

You're right, he doesn't need anything from anyone. He's great and he knows it. So it's actually kind of on him to expect the naysayers and haters. But by acting aloof towards others, including his fans, he's inviting more pressure isn't he?

Just watched “one and done” last night on Showtime (documentary about Simmons for those that haven’t seen or heard of it).

One of the biggest things I took away was his attitude, and the feeling of entitlement that he seemed to have while at LSU. Basically making a mockery of being in College. He was there because he had to, and didn’t seem to care if they won or lost, it was all about going through the motions in college to get it over with (he withdrew from school the day after they lost in the SEC tournament). The NCAA didn’t mean a thing to him. Just a necessary evil to get to the NBA.

Yes he was under a lot of scrutiny, and had a lot of negativity being directed toward him, but he did bring a lot of it on himself, maybe he was and still is a very unselfish player, but the critics that said he needed to be more involved in the closing of the games appear to have been correct, as it seems to have carried over to the NBA career that he has now.
Yes he’s a great player, and can fill a stat line, but when the games on the line, where is he? This is the only real knock (besides his lack of shooting the three ball) I see that until he changes it, will keep him out of the comparisons with the elite of the NBA, they want the ball in the closing moments and live to be in the moment.

Anyway, for anyone that would like a little more insight into Ben Simmons, watch the movie...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Maybe he's treating the NBA like he did college because his only real goal is championships. And until his team is ready he's not going to give 100%.

^Well then he's a ****ing moron

Sent from my XT1575 using JazzFanz mobile app

I agree, but then I think he's a moron for treating fans poorly. The fact that he treated college the way midnight_hwy said let's you into his psyche a little. He just doesn't GAF. The way he laid out Marcus Morris is another example of him not giving a ****. He doesn't play games.

Last edited: