What's new

NBA Top Shot

Most of the time, yes. But rarely if you buy vintage, and don’t overpay.

Base cards have risen so much in value you’ll rarely lose money. Literally any Jordan, LeBron, Kobe etc. even if it’s a base is worth a couple bucks.

Depends on the card and of course if it’s authenticated.

I’m not referring to modern as I don’t think Log was. I know Doncic’s Red Pulsar Auto 1/1 is going to be worth a **** ton more than some regular card.

And yes, I realize there is no such card.

I got heavily into cards in the last ten months. I have a couple buddy’s with collections worth about 250-400K. I sold almost everything I have. Probably profited about 15 grand. And I’m glad. Honestly, the industry has become even more big business and I don’t have the money to compete with hedge funds. Literal hedge funds are buying cards which is helping drive the market as well. And it’s just a disgusting shady industry. Cutting cards. Manipulation of prices. PSA shadiness.

Depends on the card and of course if it’s authenticated.
And I think that's ultimately where the long term value of NFTs will go. They will serve as a form of validation for physical objects. The biggest value of crypto currency, imho, is not the currency. It is the system of security and validation that had to be created for crypto currency to exist, aka the "blockchain."

I think years down the line NFTs will be attached to physical objects like art, collectables, diamonds, etc., to serve as a type of validation and authentication. Whenever the object changes hands the transaction will be validated by the accompanying transfer of the NFT.

I got heavily into cards in the last ten months. I have a couple buddy’s with collections worth about 250-400K. I sold almost everything I have. Probably profited about 15 grand. And I’m glad. Honestly, the industry has become even more big business and I don’t have the money to compete with hedge funds. Literal hedge funds are buying cards which is helping drive the market as well. And it’s just a disgusting shady industry. Cutting cards. Manipulation of prices. PSA shadiness.

Had I got in about 1-2 months earlier, I would’ve bought a Bill Russell rookie, PSA 7.

I’m in it heavy. I actually get cards graded for people. There is plenty of opportunity out there to make money and I just like collecting too. It has become more and more towards being a business though. I have currently and have owned some extremely nice cards.

Alright, so I guess I'm going to start releasing limited edition MS Paint memes. I'll give them unique numbers and sell this stuff.
Some of the NFT stuff is dumb but I really don’t think it’s going anywhere but up. Imagine when cards came out how dumb people thought that was... they put them in bicycles and **** because it was just cool cardboard... “want me to draw you a picture on some paper and you can buy it for $1”.

It might even be stupid but some people are killing it... and a bunch will kill it that are getting in now. I just wanted to figure it out... and now I’m up $1500... and it’s kinda fun. Jump in boss... the water is nice and warm.

So, strategy for a (right now) low end buyer... Say max can spend is about $25-30 at any given time.

What would you recommend searching for as types or series of moments if packs aren't available and would it be wiser to just build a large collection instead of trying to flip early?

I’m in it heavy. I actually get cards graded for people. There is plenty of opportunity out there to make money and I just like collecting too. It has become more and more towards being a business though. I have currently and have owned some extremely nice cards.

like what?
The rookies I owned were:
Jim Brown PSA 7
Sammy Baugh PSA 8
Otto Graham PSA 7
Norm Van Brocklin PSA 7
Roger Staubach PSA 8.5, 8.5, 8, 7
John Unitas PSA 5
Dick Lane PSA 6
Walter Payton PSA 8

I have some raw left that I might get graded at some point. Bradshaw, Tarkenton, etc. But I’m not interested in waiting six months and frankly, PSA is a crock.

Right now, I’m just sitting on some modern NBA that I hope pops at the end of the regular season/playoffs (it usually does) so I can dump it and make some money.

Three Doncic Panini Prizm PSA 10 rookies
Two Spida PP Silver PSA 10 rookies
Four Deandre Ayton PP Silver PSA 10 rookies
Three RJ Barrett PP Silver PSA 10 rookies

So I’m not up to speed on Top Shot as much as I should. Can I buy any moment I want? Obviously the more iconic the moment, the more it will cost. Or are only certain moments available?

I’d spend a pretty penny on Jordan’s last Bulls shot over us. Or his shot over Enlo. As long as there will be a limit on how many of those are out there.

like what?
The rookies I owned were:
Jim Brown PSA 7
Sammy Baugh PSA 8
Otto Graham PSA 7
Norm Van Brocklin PSA 7
Roger Staubach PSA 8.5, 8.5, 8, 7
John Unitas PSA 5
Dick Lane PSA 6
Walter Payton PSA 8

I have some raw left that I might get graded at some point. Bradshaw, Tarkenton, etc. But I’m not interested in waiting six months and frankly, PSA is a crock.

Right now, I’m just sitting on some modern NBA that I hope pops at the end of the regular season/playoffs (it usually does) so I can dump it and make some money.

Three Doncic Panini Prizm PSA 10 rookies
Two Spida PP Silver PSA 10 rookies
Four Deandre Ayton PP Silver PSA 10 rookies
Three RJ Barrett PP Silver PSA 10 rookies

My two biggest sales were:

2019-20 Panini Prizm RJ Barrett Nebula Rookie 1/1 graded a BGS 10 for $17.6k

2017-18 Panini Spectra Donovan Mitchell Nebula Logoman Autograph 1/1 for $16.1k

We’re in those two a combined 20k. I have owned multiple low grade Wilt rookie cards. Endless amount of Mitchell stuff. I collect Mitchell and Kyler Murray mostly. Mitchell’s stuff has a lot of room to grow still.

Some of the NFT stuff is dumb but I really don’t think it’s going anywhere but up. Imagine when cards came out how dumb people thought that was... they put them in bicycles and **** because it was just cool cardboard... “want me to draw you a picture on some paper and you can buy it for $1”.

It might even be stupid but some people are killing it... and a bunch will kill it that are getting in now. I just wanted to figure it out... and now I’m up $1500... and it’s kinda fun. Jump in boss... the water is nice and warm.
I know. That's why I want to monetize my memes now rather than doing them for freebies.

My two biggest sales were:

2019-20 Panini Prizm RJ Barrett Nebula Rookie 1/1 graded a BGS 10 for $17.6k

2017-18 Panini Spectra Donovan Mitchell Nebula Logoman Autograph 1/1 for $16.1k

We’re in those two a combined 20k. I have owned multiple low grade Wilt rookie cards. Endless amount of Mitchell stuff. I collect Mitchell and Kyler Murray mostly. Mitchell’s stuff has a lot of room to grow still.

How did you acquire those two cards initially?