What's new

NBA Top Shot

Oh, I'm pretty sure I get emails. I've been meaning to do it, but I didnt realize how free the money was. I thought there was more risk involved.
I signed up for email too... the issue is they do "stress tests" and they are completely random. Have to join their discord to get those announcements. So I thought I was in the know but was not.

There is a Jordan Clarkson one that is listing for $6500.

My question is why does anyone actually buy these things in the marketplace? Are they all just looking to flip? So someone might buy the Clarkson one for 6500 and think they can flip it for 8k or something?

Also everything is sold out. When do the new ones drop, someone said on the weekend, is that right?

Here is the Clarkson one...

View attachment 10468
Do not buy and flip... if you decide to do it only pick Lebron, Zion, Luka, Lamelo... but just don't do it.

There are only 75 of those so it is less about the player and more about scarcity. The serial number matters too. I sold a Joel Embiid common for twice the lowest ask in about 2 minutes because it had a low serial number.

I know this sounds scammy... it is scammy... but if you figure out the scam you can make some McDonald's money. Packs are free money... everything else is risky AF imo.

think about how Bitcoin has crashed and revived multiple times... this will do the same thing imo if it has staying power.

I actually am heavy in to actual basketball cards and know a lot about this too. People are making tons of money. Basically like a raffle to try and get a spot to buy a pack. If you’re privileged enough to be able to buy a $199 pack it is free money. Nobody has been able to cash out yet which has annoyed some people.

Last edited:
There is a Jordan Clarkson one that is listing for $6500.

My question is why does anyone actually buy these things in the marketplace? Are they all just looking to flip? So someone might buy the Clarkson one for 6500 and think they can flip it for 8k or something?

Also everything is sold out. When do the new ones drop, someone said on the weekend, is that right?

Here is the Clarkson one...

View attachment 10468
Yes, a lot of the biggest collectors are holding for value.

I actually am heavy in to actual basketball cards and know a lot about this too. People are making tons of money. Basically like a raffle to try and get a spot to buy a pack. If you’re privileged enough to be able to buy a $199 pack it is free money. Nobody has been able to cash out yet which has annoyed some people.
Wait, is this true? Havent billions been spent on this thing and no one has cashed out?

Wait, is this true? Havent billions been spent on this thing and no one has cashed out?
Some have cashed out. There are limitations and a wait time while they review and verify your identity (kinda ********* imo). I think right now you can only pull out a thousand a month... which is fine for like 95% of the users.

Some have cashed out. There are limitations and a wait time while they review and verify your identity (kinda ********* imo). I think right now you can only pull out a thousand a month... which is fine for like 95% of the users.
Damn, a thousand a month is pretty ****** if the money is that free. Considering how much money they are making it seems crazy.

I have news for you... card collecting is also about making money now.

I don't know how sustainable it is at all. I do think its still early. I think some version of this will be around for years... I think it will bubble and crash... what comes out of the rubble will be the sustainable product.

Get an account and buy packs is all I can say... its free money. I got a premium pack this weekend for $199. Basically got about as bad a pack as you could get with Facundo Compazzo being my "rare" I flipped it for $400... sold a few other moments for $350... so I'm up $500 plus with a couple leftover cards. If I had landed Lamelo its going for $4k+
Unopened packs we're selling for about 1k. But yeah, all the worse cards were easily selling for $400. I got Precious Achiuwa. He's not in the set but at least a rookie. I got a pretty low number. I'm waiting for them to get rid of the restriction on buying and selling. I think the market will jump after that for awhile. I think plenty of people are doing this for money. But plenty are doing it for collecting just like cards. They don't allow it in a lot of countries right now. I have to use a vpn to access the website in China.

Unopened packs we're selling for about 1k. But yeah, all the worse cards were easily selling for $400. I got Precious Achiuwa. He's not in the set but at least a rookie. I got a pretty low number. I'm waiting for them to get rid of the restriction on buying and selling. I think the market will jump after that for awhile. I think plenty of people are doing this for money. But plenty are doing it for collecting just like cards. They don't allow it in a lot of countries right now. I have to use a vpn to access the website in China.
You can’t sell packs yet I thought.

As you say that I remember reading that but I saw a bunch of people selling them in a couple places. I think you can gift them to someone. So its risky business to sell them.

You sell the packs as unopened and figure out a way to open it live for them then gift the moments or something like that.

I still just don't get it. I really can't see what is being collected here. I can see these "moments" on youtube (I googled the Clarkson one and found what had to be the same play, in a highlight reel video of sorts). This just seems like some kind of wonky ponzi scheme. If you got in early enough to make some money then good on you.

I still just don't get it. I really can't see what is being collected here. I can see these "moments" on youtube (I googled the Clarkson one and found what had to be the same play, in a highlight reel video of sorts). This just seems like some kind of wonky ponzi scheme. If you got in early enough to make some money then good on you.
I feel ya... why do cards have value though? Can't I just go see a picture of the card? Can't I produce a replica of the card? Can't I just go find pics on the internet?

Same thing applies to art and other things. Its about exclusivity and value is largely dependent on the target consumer. You and I displayed our cards proudly in a binder... my kids might showcase their moments on the internet for people to see. Value is arbitrary.

While I am in it I am only dabbling and completely liquid... my son thinks its pretty cool and its something we are doing together. It teaches him about basketball and business a bit too.

If you don't get it then its just not for you.

I feel ya... why do cards have value though? Can't I just go see a picture of the card? Can't I produce a replica of the card? Can't I just go find pics on the internet?

Same thing applies to art and other things. Its about exclusivity and value is largely dependent on the target consumer. You and I displayed our cards proudly in a binder... my kids might showcase their moments on the internet for people to see. Value is arbitrary.

While I am in it I am only dabbling and completely liquid... my son thinks its pretty cool and its something we are doing together. It teaches him about basketball and business a bit too.

If you don't get it then its just not for you.
A picture of a physical card is not the same as holding the physical card in your hand. Plus having one signed makes it infinitely more valuable to collectors.

Having a digital video clip exactly the same, down to the pixel and byte of data, as the digital video clip I can download from youtube is hardly exclusive. And they can't sign a video clip. That is why this makes me think of a scam.

I am not saying people don't see value there, obviously they do, but I think there just isn't anything tangible or really exclusive except for the serial number, so it seems to be just a lot of people trying to capitalize on a new thing and make a buck. I can't see one of these guys going into Pawn Stars and offering a collection of moments on a thumb drive and getting anything for it years down the road.

But I am probably just out of touch with the collector market for such stuff. It is obviously working for some to make money, I don't have to "get it" for it to mean something to someone else.

But I really just don't get it.

A picture of a physical card is not the same as holding the physical card in your hand. Plus having one signed makes it infinitely more valuable to collectors.

Having a digital video clip exactly the same, down to the pixel and byte of data, as the digital video clip I can download from youtube is hardly exclusive. And they can't sign a video clip. That is why this makes me think of a scam.

I am not saying people don't see value there, obviously they do, but I think there just isn't anything tangible or really exclusive except for the serial number, so it seems to be just a lot of people trying to capitalize on a new thing and make a buck. I can't see one of these guys going into Pawn Stars and offering a collection of moments on a thumb drive and getting anything for it years down the road.

But I am probably just out of touch with the collector market for such stuff. It is obviously working for some to make money, I don't have to "get it" for it to mean something to someone else.

But I really just don't get it.
The signatures don't add a ton of value unless they are authenticated. The signature market is down a lot. Some of the players own certain moments and they track the history... those have more value... so there is that.

Its not the exclusivity of the card its the scarcity. I think this is just for a different generation... it has some appeal.

I think it is a fad in that the market will crash from where it is... but I think it will be around and be a viable product going forward. Think of this as digital beanie babies.

The signatures don't add a ton of value unless they are authenticated. The signature market is down a lot. Some of the players own certain moments and they track the history... those have more value... so there is that.

Its not the exclusivity of the card its the scarcity. I think this is just for a different generation... it has some appeal.

I think it is a fad in that the market will crash from where it is... but I think it will be around and be a viable product going forward. Think of this as digital beanie babies.

Lol there is so much more to cards than what you’re saying. Panini is licensed with the NBA and puts out autograph cards. Game used jersey/patches and logoman cards. You can’t replicate any of that extremely easy. It’s also something you can physically hold and touch. It’s Americana too not some video clip that thousands of people own. There is something to the athlete holding that card and signing it while having a piece of game used jersey with it.

Lol there is so much more to cards than what you’re saying. Panini is licensed with the NBA and puts out autograph cards. Game used jersey/patches and logoman cards. You can’t replicate any of that extremely easy. It’s also something you can physically hold and touch. It’s Americana too not some video clip that thousands of people own. There is something to the athlete holding that card and signing it while having a piece of game used jersey with it.
Yeah I know there is more to it... but the fact is its just like ****ing diamonds... if they produced a million of those cards they would not be valuable. I prefer cards but it is scarcity and demand that creates the value there. This is the digital version of it... its not as cool imo but if you are just trying to make money there are some big advantages to topshot or any NFT.

Very few people are into collecting to look at the cards and you ain't touching or holding my most valuable cards. I have several Michael Jordan cards in a binder in my garage... that's cool but none are worth $700k like his rookie PSA 10 are.

Both physical cards and digital moments are controlling scarcity... its like art, gold, diamonds... we assign it value and thus it has value regardless of utility.

Bought the cheapest Utah Jazz moment possible. Will try to get in on the next pack. If anyone wants to alert me, feel free.

Is there any kind of secure wallet for these collections like bitcoin does or is everything just stored on their servers?