What's new

News, rumors and buzz around the draft and free agency

The reports are the Jazz offered Mirotic a 3-year 45m deal which would take up most of our cap space. Why would we setup a meeting with Portis if we knew our cap space would be tied up? Not that hard to understand.
Because you don't know if Mirotic will accept your deal. It's easier to cancel a meeting than to scramble to arrange a meeting once Portis has started weighing in options from other teams.

Because you don't know if Mirotic will accept your deal. It's easier to cancel a meeting than to scramble to arrange a meeting once Portis has started weighing in options from other teams.

Sounds like it was a done deal. Just going based off of that report. I understand what you’re saying though.

Remember when Al Horford opted and people were like he’s crazy and I said nah, he’s gonna get paid... dude apparently has like two 100M plus offers.

If the Jazz don't get Bojan or Portis you are going to have one royally pi$$ed off Favors. They will almost have to ship him off at the deadline as a six month rental. When he becomes unrestricted no way does he resign.
Favors has dealt with trade rumors for the past 5 years or so. He knows the Jazz have shopped him every year. This year is a team option so I think he knew there was a good chance they might decline it. Last season he was almost traded at the deadline with Rubio for Conley. I doubt Lindsey is counting on him to re-sign anyway.

Probably true. He was likely Jazz' first choice. But they'd set up meetings with other FA's in case he didn't take offer. They'd just cancel those meetings if he had accepted. Can't just sit and wait for an answer. You meet with Plans B, C and D in the meantime, Just like they're meeting with Portis today at the same time they're preparing an offer for Bojan.

If the Barcelona deal is true as reported, that's amazing for a Euro team. It's net, so basically being paid double that for comparison purposes to the NBA.
I think Mirotic preferred the Europe style of ball. Decent competition, adequate $$$ and far fewer games in a season. Plus if his wife wanted to go home...if mama is happy everyone is happy.

Because you have no idea if Mirotic will choose you over other suitors. And you have no idea whether Portis will choose you over other suitors... You arrange the meetings, you make your offers and you pick the best player that agrees to your deal. It's easier to cancel a meeting if you get the OK with Mirotic than it is to scramble to arrange a meeting later with Portis if you had not done it in advance.

Kinda like a job interview lol