What's new

News, rumors and buzz around the draft and free agency

If the Jazz don't get Bojan or Portis you are going to have one royally pi$$ed off Favors. They will almost have to ship him off at the deadline as a six month rental. When he becomes unrestricted no way does he resign.

If the Jazz don't get Bojan or Portis you are going to have one royally pi$$ed off Favors. They will almost have to ship him off at the deadline as a six month rental. When he becomes unrestricted no way does he resign.

Great thing is his 18m expiring contract would be super valuable at the trade deadline.

I just don't know if I believe the Mirotic offer thing.
Eh... some players are just not as mercantile (or as competitive) as others. He's made enough money to have a very good life and he probably just wants to be closer to his family.

Mirotic's wife is actually the daughter of his former coach. Perhaps she wanted to go back to Europe and pulled a Portis on him.

Eh... some players are just not as mercantile (or as competitive) as others. He's made enough money to have a very good life and he probably just wants to be closer to his family.

I think he means the Jazz offering that to Mirotic.

Yeah, but I mean why is Utah trying to sign Mirotic and meeting with Portis. It just seems weird.
Because you have no idea if Mirotic will choose you over other suitors. And you have no idea whether Portis will choose you over other suitors... You arrange the meetings, you make your offers and you pick the best player that agrees to your deal. It's easier to cancel a meeting if you get the OK with Mirotic than it is to scramble to arrange a meeting later with Portis if you had not done it in advance.

What? What does one have to do with the other? Those are separate meetings.

The reports are the Jazz offered Mirotic a 3-year 45m deal which would take up most of our cap space. Why would we setup a meeting with Portis if we knew our cap space would be tied up? Not that hard to understand.