What's new

NFL 2015 Season Discussion Thread

Can't they just cut Manning? That's what I would do.
Yes and if he doesn't retire they will. But if they do a certain portion of his contract is still counted against the cap. I'm not sure how much that is. I believe I read that it's minimal though, like 1.5 or 2 million dollars. Denver is not going to gain anything with Manning out though. A replacement QB is going to cost around the same as Manning did this year. He counted about 15 Million against the cap this year and your not getting a starting QB for much if any less than that.

I don't agree. I don't think it ever touched the ground. I'm just not sure you could say that conclusively.
The replay showed the nose of the ball hitting then it moved in his hand immediately after it hit. In 2 different views. I believe if that's called a catch they have about a 75% chance of getting it reversed.

Denver's Free Agents this coming year.

Just to illustrate my earlier point about this defense being very difficult to keep together. Somebody is not returning I just hope they keep as many of the most important parts as possible.

UFA's-
Von Miller
Evan Mathis
Antonio Smith
Vernon Davis
David Bruton
Malik Jackson
Danny Trevathan
Andre Caldwell
Ryan Harris
Brock Osweiler
Ronnie Hillman
Omar Bolden
Jordan Norwood
Tyler Polumbus
Kyle Williams
Shiloh Keo

RFA-
CJ Anderson
Brandon Marshall
Lerentee McCray
Josh Bush

ERFA-
Brandon McManus
Todd Davis
Bennie Fowler
Matt Paradis
Sam Brenner

Just to illustrate my earlier point about this defense being very difficult to keep together. Somebody is not returning I just hope they keep as many of the most important parts as possible.

UFA's-
Von Miller
Evan Mathis
Antonio Smith
Vernon Davis
David Bruton
Malik Jackson
Danny Trevathan
Andre Caldwell
Ryan Harris
Brock Osweiler
Ronnie Hillman
Omar Bolden
Jordan Norwood
Tyler Polumbus
Kyle Williams
Shiloh Keo

RFA-
CJ Anderson
Brandon Marshall
Lerentee McCray
Josh Bush

ERFA-
Brandon McManus
Todd Davis
Bennie Fowler
Matt Paradis
Sam Brenner

Well Manning and Davis will be gone. Clady will be restructured. That's 20-25 million. Miller will be franchised.

Wolfe, Ware, Ward, Harris, Barrett, Ray, Talib, Roby, Marshall and Williams are all under contract.

Maybe Forte will come over like he was talking about. Maybe for cheap to be on a winning team.

I wouldn't be suprised to see Oakland or KC take that division over next year. Denver played great during the playoffs and the super bowl but they were very close to missing the playoffs. I don't see them as a threat to NE, Pitt or Cincy going forward...

I wouldn't be suprised to see Oakland or KC take that division over next year. Denver played great during the playoffs and the super bowl but they were very close to missing the playoffs. I don't see them as a threat to NE, Pitt or Cincy going forward...

They also landed the #1 seed. Denver wins the AFC West next year. Oakland is still a couple years out.

They also landed the #1 seed. Denver wins the AFC West next year. Oakland is still a couple years out.
They were lucky to get the number one seed and I think any reasonable Bronco fan (I've never met one lol) would admit that. I'm not taking anything away from Denvers playoff run or think they got lucky winning the SB but I'd be selling my Broncos stock today not buying. Just my opinion though.

They were lucky to get the number one seed and I think any reasonable Bronco fan (I've never met one lol) would admit that. I'm not taking anything away from Denvers playoff run or think they got lucky winning the SB but I'd be selling my Broncos stock today not buying. Just my opinion though.

Fair enough. Here is why I'm buying Denver stock though.

Elway is a tricky smart GM
Clady will be back dramatically improving the O line
Majority, if not all, defensive starters and most key back ups will be back next year under Phillips scheme for a 2nd year
Osweiler fits Kubiak offensive schemes better
Denver has other players wanting to play there (See Forte from Denver)
Denver has a TE that has been missing all season just learning and rehabbing

Well Manning and Davis will be gone. Clady will be restructured. That's 20-25 million. Miller will be franchised.

Wolfe, Ware, Ward, Harris, Barrett, Ray, Talib, Roby, Marshall and Williams are all under contract.

Maybe Forte will come over like he was talking about. Maybe for cheap to be on a winning team.
You don't really save that 20-25 Million though. New starting QB eats up 15-20 Million of it. Von eats up 10-15 Million of it. That money is gone and you have not even addressed 90% of the players on that list.

Nice to see the old "geezer" beat the hip-hop braggadocios, me first, celebrate EVERY play, Fig Newton! One "expert" said he was all in on Denver because "if the Falcons defense could hold Carolina to 13 points...the Denver defense might shut them out!" By the way, the smart money on next years Super Bowl picks are the Vikings at 20-1 and the Falcons at 40-1!

Fair enough. Here is why I'm buying Denver stock though.

Elway is a tricky smart GM
Clady will be back dramatically improving the O line
Majority, if not all, defensive starters and most key back ups will be back next year under Phillips scheme for a 2nd year
Osweiler fits Kubiak offensive schemes better
Denver has other players wanting to play there (See Forte from Denver)
Denver has a TE that has been missing all season just learning and rehabbing
I'm not sure Clady will be back. He's over paid and does not really fit Kubiak's scheme, and he hasn't been healthy in a long while. We could lose key impact starters on defense starting with Jackson and Trevathan, and possibly including Ware and Talib.

I'm concerned that they may lose a lot this off season. Losing Jackson and Trevathan is almost the least you can expect to lose. If they keep them then somebody else is gone.

Elway has been fantastic at putting this roster together, but I don't envy him the decisions he must make this off season.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/images/Clutch/SB-JC.gif

For those claiming that the refs should have called this a catch. Watch the ball CLEARLY hit the ground in this replay. And then watch as he clearly loses control of the ball as it flops around on his chest with absolutely no control being exhibited by him. He doesn't even have a hand on the ball after he rolls over, and he did before it hit the ground. There is no way this was even close to being a legitimate catch.

https://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/0k...age/image/48764461/touched-the-ground.0.0.jpg

That's a picture of the ball on the ground, clear as can be.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/images/Clutch/SB-JC.gif

For those claiming that the refs should have called this a catch. Watch the ball CLEARLY hit the ground in this replay. And then watch as he clearly loses control of the ball as it flops around on his chest with absolutely no control being exhibited by him. He doesn't even have a hand on the ball after he rolls over, and he did before it hit the ground. There is no way this was even close to being a legitimate catch.

https://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/0k...age/image/48764461/touched-the-ground.0.0.jpg

That's a picture of the ball on the ground, clear as can be.
Good post. I wasn't sure one way or the other when I watched the game.
Now I am sure it was not a catch

UFA's-
Von Miller
Evan Mathis
Antonio Smith
Vernon Davis
David Bruton
Malik Jackson
Danny Trevathan
Andre Caldwell
Ryan Harris
Brock Osweiler
Ronnie Hillman
Omar Bolden
Jordan Norwood
Tyler Polumbus
Kyle Williams
Shiloh Keo

RFA-
CJ Anderson
Brandon Marshall
Lerentee McCray
Josh Bush

ERFA-
Brandon McManus
Todd Davis
Bennie Fowler
Matt Paradis
Sam Brenner

I'm not sure Clady will be back. He's over paid and does not really fit Kubiak's scheme, and he hasn't been healthy in a long while. We could lose key impact starters on defense starting with Jackson and Trevathan, and possibly including Ware and Talib.

I'm concerned that they may lose a lot this off season. Losing Jackson and Trevathan is almost the least you can expect to lose. If they keep them then somebody else is gone.

Elway has been fantastic at putting this roster together, but I don't envy him the decisions he must make this off season.

Ware and Talib are under contract and not going anywhere.

The bolded names don't need to be addressed IMO

Miller is getting the franchise tag. Clady has already offered to restructure to remain a Bronco. Either he will or Elway will ship him out.

Owen Daniels and Huereman will make Vernon Davis expendable. So we save money there as well.

Osweiler gets resigned and then Denver focuses on Trevathan and Jackson.

If they cannot convince CJ Anderson and Hillman to stay for decent prices they might be able to replace them with Forte. He already did an interview about wanting to come to Denver. You sell him on the chance to win.

The problems on that list are Caldwell, Jackson, Marshall, Trevethan and Bruton. Not all of them will be beck.

But this team will be right in the thick of it next year. They simply have to many returning pieces under a talented GM not to be.

Releasing Peyton Manning and tagging Von Miller (est. $14.1M) leaves the #Broncos w/ about $21.6M in space to work with this offseason.

— Spotrac (@spotrac) February 8, 2016

Interesting.

Quite a brew ha ha

Releasing Peyton Manning and tagging Von Miller (est. $14.1M) leaves the #Broncos w/ about $21.6M in space to work with this offseason.

— Spotrac (@spotrac) February 8, 2016

Interesting.
With no QB on the roster that's almost nothing. Figure a QB will cost 15M a year minimum. That leaves nothing for anybody else on that list. And Miller may be tagged but they will try and work out a long term deal and he's going to get 20M a year.