What's new

NFL News: SF 49 Glen Coffee Quits

//r00t 4 Jazz

NFL News: No More Coffee in San Fran

Just saw this and don't see it anywhere and I know there is a fairly large 49'er fan base here. This article basically says he just doesn't feel like playing anymore.
https://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/utes/50107249-89/coffee-team-football-glen.html.csp

SANTA CLARA, Calif.

Running back Glen Coffee left the San Francisco 49ers on Friday morning, telling the team he no longer wants to play football.
Coffee, San Francisco’s third-round draft pick in 2009, was the team’s second-leading rusher as a rookie last season with 226 yards, but he averaged just 2.7 yards per carry and scored one touchdown.
Coffee was in competition this summer with rookie sixth-round draft pick Anthony Dixon to be the team’s top backup to Pro Bowl halfback Frank Gore.
Coffee issued a statement through the team in which he said that it was best for him to move on.
Coach Mike Singletary said the 49ers will look to bring in another running back to training camp. Dixon will be the top backup to Gore in Sunday’s exhibition opener at Indianapolis.

103056_640px.jpg

Quits? I thought he got The Chair?

Coffee was a quality back. That's too bad (for us, the 49ers fans) that he just upped and quit. I don't know a lot about Dixon. I still have faith in Singletary. Up and up, baby!

What a bizarre offseason/training camp to say the least. The GM "resigning", Balmer goes AWOL, and now Coffee "retires". I'm still optimistic though. Balmer wasn't an impact player and Coffee is replaceable. I'm sure there will be a veteran that will get cut that the Niners can pick up to back-up Gore. Willie Parker and Brian Westbrook come to mind. Dixon isn't ready yet, from what Singletary has said.

Word is Coffee is going into ministry. Best of luck to him...if his heart wasn't really in it, I don't blame him. I wouldn't be surprised to see him come back at some point down the road though. What makes it all the more bizarre is the 10-15 pounds of muscle he added this offseason. Pretty swift change of heart.

They're backfield's gonna suck now. What ever happened to Michael Robinson?

Robinson is still on the team. But he's a combo back/ex QB that doesn't do any one thing all that well. He's a great special teams player - that's it.
I agree with calijazz that Coffee is very replaceable. Postum, Tea or Diet Coke do quite nicely. Seriously, Coffee was a non-factor. That's why the 9'ers drafted Dixon. They can go with Sheets if they want to carry a smaller back. My feeling is they'll go with their two power backs in Gore and Dixon and keep Robinson one more season. That gives them 3 RB's. That's all a team usually carries (+1 or 2 FB's).

Robinson is still on the team. But he's a combo back/ex QB that doesn't do any one thing all that well. He's a great special teams player - that's it.
I agree with calijazz that Coffee is very replaceable. Postum, Tea or Diet Coke do quite nicely. Seriously, Coffee was a non-factor. That's why the 9'ers drafted Dixon. They can go with Sheets if they want to carry a smaller back. My feeling is they'll go with their two power backs in Gore and Dixon and keep Robinson one more season. That gives them 3 RB's. That's all a team usually carries (+1 or 2 FB's).

Their backfield's still gonna suck though.