What's new

NFL Talk

KatieMCR

The NFL Lockout is officially over. The time for football is finally here. Preseason will begin very quickly. Training camps are set to open by the end of the week. I am so excited for the new season. Excited to see what Jim Harbaugh can do with the 49ers.

Oh and by the way...

Will be interesting to see if the Steelers can break their Post Superbowl year run

2007 - Missed Playoffs (8-8)
2009 - 1 & Done (9-7)

The Steelers seem to do a good job of keeping problems internal but this year they had Mendenhall spout off via twitter (I have no problem with what he said the Bin Laden piece but took it too far with the Trade Centers), Ward getting a 'potential' DUI, then Harrison spouting off.

Loved the draft

Still question marks about the secondary and with Ike Taylor being a Free Agent and wanting money he may be gone leaving us with a shortage of corners (Young). Could see them signing someone like a Carlos Rogers which wouldn't be horrible.

Line still up in the air - few lineman coming back from injury, few free agents.

With the team being one of the oldest in the league it will be interesting how the season plays out. Of course injuries are always the key and the Steelers as always are 1 play away (Polomalu getting hurt *knock on wood*) from another 9-7, 8-8 season.

One positive - Easiest schedule we have had in years due to us playing the NFC West (SF, Arizona, St Louis, Seattle).

This is how (best case) I can see it playing out

@ Bal - Loss
Seattle - Win
@ Indy - Loss/Win (Toss Up)
@ Houston - Loss/Win (Toss Up)
Tennessee - Win
Jacksonville - Win
@ Arizona - Win
New England - Loss/Win (Toss Up)
Baltimore - Win
@ Cincy - Win
@ Kansas City - Win
Cincy - Win
Cleveland - Win
@ San Fran - Win
St. Louis - Win
@ Cleveland - Win

Anywhere from 11 - 5 (Probably worst case) to 15 - 1 (Best case) is where I expect the team to end barring any injuries to major players (Ben, Troy, Mendenhall)

Spell his name right 1st

2nd - how is their D that good when they are losing a few key pieces possibly?

Darren Sharper? He is old and Malcom Jenkins is better than him.

Roman Harper will most likely get re-signed. He isn't a great SS, so he shouldn't command much money. He fits the system well though.

Scott Shanle. I'm guessing we will resign him, or go after different veteran LB's.

**** Reggie Bush. I would want him back for cheap, just as a kick returner. Other than that, no.

Lance Moore is the only FA I really care about getting back all that much. He is also a product of the system WR who won't get offered much money anywhere, so another good cheap player.
Sign some undrafted FA's. Sign the drafted players.

Darren Sharper? He is old and Malcom Jenkins is better than him.

Roman Harper will most likely get re-signed. He isn't a great SS, so he shouldn't command much money. He fits the system well though.

These are the main 2 players that I was referencing on the D. I think you are under valuing Sharper as most do. His leadership alone is the reason (And your D Coordinator - correction) the reason that the Aint's have been solid on D the past few years. I wouldn't say Jenkins is even close to an Old Sharper but not a bad plug in.

You have to keep Harper - losing both Sharper and Harper would hurt a lot more than you think. Being a Steelers fan I almost value Sharper to Polomalu in a way. The Steelers defense is a shell of itself without Troy in there and I unfortuantely feel the same about Sharper and your defense. We will see though as I still feel they will be there out of the NFC but there are some up and coming teams to go along with the regulars. PHI, NO, NYG, ATL, CHI, GB are the favorites but watch out for teams like TB, SF, and DAL as any of these teams can make the leap year to year. Thus the reason I love football.

New Orleans had one of the best passing defenses last year, and that was with Jenkins playing way more than Sharper(not to mention a tons of injuries at CB). Sharper is good for his ability to read the defense and make the big play, but he is too old to be reliable in coverage anymore. You are also heavily over-valuing Harper by saying that about him. Vilma is our player in that regard. Harper would be missed for his hard hitting, but he has a tendency to get burnt on coverage.

It looks pretty much certain that I get to go through another year of Alex Smith as the 49ers starting QB. I really hope Harbaugh can turn Smith into a winner, but I still have doubts. I do like how Smith stepped up during the lockout and organized workouts with the offense to teach them the new playbook. He's showing he wants to be the leader. I just hope that will translate on the field come game day. The 49ers have a lot of really good pieces in place. Just need some solid QB play to have success. It will be interesting to see what happens with Nate Clements. He is so severely overpaid. I would not mind at all seeing him get cut. He has been such a disappointment after all the hype when the 49ers signed him.

It looks pretty much certain that I get to go through another year of Alex Smith as the 49ers starting QB. I really hope Harbaugh can turn Smith into a winner, but I still have doubts. I do like how Smith stepped up during the lockout and organized workouts with the offense to teach them the new playbook. He's showing he wants to be the leader. I just hope that will translate on the field come game day. The 49ers have a lot of really good pieces in place. Just need some solid QB play to have success. It will be interesting to see what happens with Nate Clements. He is so severely overpaid. I would not mind at all seeing him get cut. He has been such a disappointment after all the hype when the 49ers signed him.

Smith doesn't need to be star but just average - you have to remember you drafted your future QB last year in Kapernick (Spelling). Smith will be there for a few years.

I do think Smith got the shaft (Not a Utah Fan but root for them) with the head coach and expecially O coordinator rotation they have had there since he got drafted. Never thought he would be the next Steve Young or Montana for you all but with a solid system I definately feel he could be a top 15 QB in the league. I projected him to be a Hasselbeck type QB.

New Orleans had one of the best passing defenses last year, and that was with Jenkins playing way more than Sharper(not to mention a tons of injuries at CB). Sharper is good for his ability to read the defense and make the big play, but he is too old to be reliable in coverage anymore. You are also heavily over-valuing Harper by saying that about him. Vilma is our player in that regard. Harper would be missed for his hard hitting, but he has a tendency to get burnt on coverage.

One thing to consider as well is how the FA period is going to shake out... with not much time and now there being a 'cap' of sorts (As before) many teams are not in position to bring in someone new, have them learn the system, ect.

With that being said outside of some big names (Namdi, ect) I do think you will see many players get re-signed vs. movement at least this year. From what I understand of the new CBA as well I can see that happening more and more vs. Free Agency movement which I love.

Smith doesn't need to be star but just average - you have to remember you drafted your future QB last year in Kapernick (Spelling). Smith will be there for a few years.

I do think Smith got the shaft (Not a Utah Fan but root for them) with the head coach and expecially O coordinator rotation they have had there since he got drafted. Never thought he would be the next Steve Young or Montana for you all but with a solid system I definately feel he could be a top 15 QB in the league. I projected him to be a Hasselbeck type QB.

That's a fair assessment. I would be happy if Smith lived up to that this season. I do trust Harbaugh though, with what I know of his past grooming QBs. It will be interesting to see how having Harbaugh as a coach will affect Smith.

That's a fair assessment. I would be happy if Smith lived up to that this season. I do trust Harbaugh though, with what I know of his past grooming QBs. It will be interesting to see how having Harbaugh as a coach will affect Smith.

Its not Smiths fault, he has not had any structure or consistency. Coaching and stability are huge, especially in football. Coaching is probably the biggest factor in football.

Its not Smiths fault, he has not had any structure or consistency. Coaching and stability are huge, especially in football. Coaching is probably the biggest factor in football.

It may not be his fault, but I think its clear he isn't a franchise/superbowl capable QB (unless you are talking about a staunch,staunch defense.)

It may not be his fault, but I think its clear he isn't a franchise/superbowl capable QB (unless you are talking about a staunch,staunch defense.)

It hard to say, every QB should have the Aaron Rogers or Tom Brady route. Very few QB's are great from day one and the rest of their careers. Peyton Manning is the only one I can think of.

NFL teams are insane to start rookie QB's.

After the Jets retain Holmes, snatch up Asomaugh and Moss/Plaxico... it's gonna be pretty clear who the best team in the NFL will be.

After the Jets retain Holmes, snatch up Asomaugh and Moss/Plaxico... it's gonna be pretty clear who the best team in the NFL will be.

But you (assuming you are a Jets fan) still have Sanchez as a QB. Also, no way Asomaugh pulls a Lebron James (joining the other best CB) and goes to the Jets. I think he stays in Oakland. Isn't he a life long Raiders fan? Probably his dream to lead the Raiders into the playoffs.

But you (assuming you are a Jets fan) still have Sanchez as a QB. Also, no way Asomaugh pulls a Lebron James (joining the other best CB) and goes to the Jets. I think he stays in Oakland. Isn't he a life long Raiders fan? Probably his dream to lead the Raiders into the playoffs.

He's not staying in Oakland, just that simple. That chapter has closed.

SimpleHeel-Whether the Jets land him or not, they still haven't proven they can get over the AFC hump. Until they put together any kind of consistent offense, they are not the best team in football. Sorry.

I wanted to scream at my TV today when I heard Skip Bayless talking about how Favre could be a starting QB. Any team who took him would be straight up dumb. The only positive that could come from it is media attention. I dont doubt his ability to throw, but his ability to stay healthy. Does no one remember last year when he was questionable for almost every single game?