What's new

NFL Thread 12-13

I'm not sure if you were around when the majority of the Ute fans railed on BYU fans here for bringing up the National Championship. They were all saying that anything that happened more than one to two years ago was nothing more than living in the past. (For the record, I totally agree that bringing up the National Championship from 1984 is a joke.) Yet it's a totally different story when Ute fans bring up a BCS game from 8 years ago.

Nah bro, the only things that are off limits are things that happened before I was born. I was born in November of 1985.

Also, the Alex Smith BCS bowl thing was also a joke. I was basically just admitting my homerism.

Obviously Kaepernick is a huge talent, it just ****ing pisses me off so ****ing bad that Alex could've gone to the SuperBowl after all he's been through in the NFL, but instead it turned into another thing he has to endure.

Yes, I 100% believe Alex would have led the Niners to the SuperBowl this year.

My whole point was that this wasn't BYU trash talk. UGLI WAS SAYING THAT Smith had won a BCS game where Kaepernick hadn't. BYU had nothing to do with UGLI's post yet a BYU fan for some reason was butt hurt by UGLI's statement made in an argument about Kaep vs Smith.

Dude, everything is BYU/Utah trash talk. Where the hell have you been? Freaking Ute fans...

Nah bro, the only things that are off limits are things that happened before I was born. I was born in November of 1985.

Also, the Alex Smith BCS bowl thing was also a joke. I was basically just admitting my homerism.

Obviously Kaepernick is a huge talent, it just ****ing pisses me off so ****ing bad that Alex could've gone to the SuperBowl after all he's been through in the NFL, but instead it turned into another thing he has to endure.

Yes, I 100% believe Alex would have led the Niners to the SuperBowl this year.
Good thing I was born when the only football National Championship was won by a team in this state then. That makes it perfectly acceptable.
I obviously missed your sarcasm as I've know about your homerism for a loooooooong time.
Smith totally got jobbed by Harbaugh, but I'm not as convinced as you that he could have/would have taken them to the Super Bowl.

explain to me how Atl. kept Kaep under control?? All tha Falcons did was take away his running option opening up lanes for Gore, and LMJ in the redzone for td's, and opened up the middle of the field for Vernon Davis. Kaep shreded Atl's defense for 16/21 233 1 td no int's and here's a little nugget of a stat... 15 of his 16 pass completions came on first or second down. By taking away Kaepernick's run option the defense was exposed in every other facet of the game.
And this is PRECISELY why Harbaugh made the QB switch. Smith is no threat to run and he's no threat to get the ball downfield. Yes, he's extremely accurate with the short ball, but the West Coast offense is old school. Players are quicker and corners jamb the receivers. You can't rely on the 5-yd throws and consistenly getting YAC's to sustain drives. Utilize a spy to shut down Kap and the middle opens up for Vernon Davis. Double-cover VD and he clears out the middle, allowing Kap or one of the RB's to break free for good gains. And Kap can actually utilize his WR's. I wish Alex nothing but the best once he's traded. He's a good guy (and I say that as a BYU alumnus). Maybe the Jets would be a good opportunity for him.

I don't think for a second Alex could have taken the 49'ers to the SB. Sme of that is on him, some on the defense, which is clearly not as dominant as last season. And some of that is Akers. Harbaugh and Smith played conservatively to eat up clock and get into FG range for Akers, who was the best kicker in the NFL last season. This year, Akers has been erratic - primarily because of his injuries. 49'ers need TD's, not FG's. There's no shame in being a "game manager." Trent Dilfer won a SB ring by playing like Alex, just staying within his game and not making TO's. But to be elite, SF needed a QB who was a threat to scramble or throw deep. Smith doesn't do those things. I don;t know if the 49'ers will beat Baltimore. But I do think Kap gives them a much better chance.

Good thing I was born when the only football National Championship was won by a team in this state then. That makes it perfectly acceptable.
I obviously missed your sarcasm as I've know about your homerism for a loooooooong time.
Smith totally got jobbed by Harbaugh, but I'm not as convinced as you that he could have/would have taken them to the Super Bowl.

Honestly, I don't even think he got "jobbed" or screwed over or anything. Harbaugh just went with what he thought was best and I can't hate on that.

It's just beyond cruel that after all of the struggles Smith has endured through that he has to watch HIS team go to the SuperBowl after he led them to a 6-3 record and had the #3 QR rating in the NFL.

Oh, and ZERO doubt Alex would've led them to the SuperBowl. He would've last year, but Kyle ****ing Williams had two punt return fumbles in the NFC championship game.

That team is stacked.

Honestly, I don't even think he got "jobbed" or screwed over or anything. Harbaugh just went with what he thought was best and I can't hate on that.

It's just beyond cruel that after all of the struggles Smith has endured through that he has to watch HIS team go to the SuperBowl after he led them to a 6-3 record and had the #3 QR rating in the NFL.

Oh, and ZERO doubt Alex would've led them to the SuperBowl. He would've last year, but Kyle ****ing Williams had two punt return fumbles in the NFC championship game.

That team is stacked.

Even during the bad years for the 49ers I was always on Smith's side, feeling he was jobbed by Nolan, and screwed by Sing's coaching incompetence. If not for Williams bonehead play, smith defiantly gets to the superbowl last year.

With that said I could definitely see Alex make the Bowl this year, however unlike you, not a sure thing in my eyes.

explain to me how Atl. kept Kaep under control?? All tha Falcons did was take away his running option

...well, you answered your own question, bubba! They kept his RUNNING under control. Certainly, not his passing. Although the Falcon secondary was the most athletic I've seen in decades, they still need to spend more time working on schemes and tackling.....and less time choreographing there celebrations when they do make a play as well as less time in the tattoo parlors! It will be interesting to see what or how the Ravens defense this kid. I for one, think they will have better success than the Falcons did.

That team is stacked.
He got jobbed because he was the starter til he got hurt. NOBODY should lose their starting job to injury. I think this was Smith's last year in SF anyway (Hargbaugh obviously wanted Kaepernick), so Harbaugh used the injury to make the change.

....corners can't jam the receivers. It's an automatic 5 yard penalty and a first down! Where have you been living......the Antarctica???
Contact is perfectly legal within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage. That's how you jam a receiver.

Contact is perfectly legal within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage. That's how you jam a receiver.

2776564_o.gif

He got jobbed because he was the starter til he got hurt. NOBODY should lose their starting job to injury. I think this was Smith's last year in SF anyway (Hargbaugh obviously wanted Kaepernick), so Harbaugh used the injury to make the change.
No!! Harbaugh decided to start Kaep because of what he did to the bears defense and because he brings more to the offense then Smith does. The only reason Kaep didn't start at the start of the season was because Harbaugh didn't feel he was ready to start, but showed it vs the Bears. That's why Smith lost his job.

Yes. That's why the refs didn't call pass interference on that 4th and 4 play

True, Lou Gehrig never should have started.

....corners can't jam the receivers. It's an automatic 5 yard penalty and a first down! Where have you been living......the Antarctica???

As bigb mentioned, corners jam the receivers within 5 yards. The WC offense was geared towards making the 3-5 yard throw and having the receivers get YAC's. Defenses adjusted by bumping receivers off their routes, which messes up the timing of the 3 and 5 step drop and throws. Alex si only precise on the shorter yardage plays. To his credit, he finally learned how to hold onto the ball (he was fumble-prone his first few years), but he's not a good scrambler and he's not accurate down the field. You can pack it in against Smith by bringing the safeties up and just utilize single coverage deep. Can't do that against Kap.

As bigb mentioned, corners jam the receivers within 5 yards. The WC offense was geared towards making the 3-5 yard throw and having the receivers get YAC's. Defenses adjusted by bumping receivers off their routes, which messes up the timing of the 3 and 5 step drop and throws.

....few, if any, corner backs risk the jam on receivers since the refs are quick to call that penalty and fast receivers can fake out the corner right from the get go if they do try and jam them within the 5 yard limit. If the corner misses just a little bit on his jam.....he then has to grab the guy or he's going to be wide open for a big play! I doubt you will see either team try to jam the receivers....it's just too risky with the rule change that favors the passing game and the very little contact allowed on the receivers. The Ravens did a fairly good job on Welker who always seems to get open on those short routes that turn into big gains! The more I look at this game, the more I'm convinced the Ravens are going to win! They have the more experienced defense and quarterback. I certainly don't want to see this tattooed freak plastered all over every magazine, tv, and sports show for the next month if he does win this Super Bowl!

True, Lou Gehrig never should have started.

Anybody who's that good will get their chance (see Aaron Rogers or your example of Lou Gehrig). Kaep would have gotten his chance, eventually, if Smith wouldn't have gotten hurt. It just came sooner rather than later.

....few, if any, corner backs risk the jam on receivers since the refs are quick to call that penalty and fast receivers can fake out the corner right from the get go if they do try and jam them within the 5 yard limit. If the corner misses just a little bit on his jam.....he then has to grab the guy or he's going to be wide open for a big play! I doubt you will see either team try to jam the receivers....it's just too risky with the rule change that favors the passing game and the very little contact allowed on the receivers. The Ravens did a fairly good job on Welker who always seems to get open on those short routes that turn into big gains! The more I look at this game, the more I'm convinced the Ravens are going to win! They have the more experienced defense and quarterback. I certainly don't want to see this tattooed freak plastered all over every magazine, tv, and sports show for the next month if he does win this Super Bowl!

I feel like more than a few play press coverage, but maybe I'm watching CFL and didnt realize it

And this is PRECISELY why Harbaugh made the QB switch. Smith is no threat to run and he's no threat to get the ball downfield.

Kaep is a much better runner and has a bigger arm for sure but just wanted to say the Saints disagree with you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oe-fBSn8mfw