What's new

Not saying we should but would you trade Alec Burks for...

I think that they’re probably going to clear the deck for 2019, but they might aggressively pursue a trade for a disgruntled star before the draft or right before free agency starts. That’s the best time for a big trade imo. After the season ends and they are dissatisfied with their current team situation, but while the team still has tradeable contracts for matching purposes. George Hill, Serge Ibaka, Victor Oladipo (2x), PG13, Jimmy Butler and Chris Paul are all guys who were traded within that timeline.

Burks has been a solid teammate and played well when given the chance. I think he should be traded more for him than for the Jazz. Some guys just need a fresh start and he seems to have always worked hard, done what was asked without complaint, and overcome injuries. This should have been his year to get minutes and points again, especially after Hood trade, but didn’t work out that way. I’d trade him for anything that would give him a shot and either improve or not hamstring the Jazz long term

I think a sneaky little trade would be to send Burks and our first to Phoenix for Tyson Chandler and either the Bucks 1st or Heat 1st.

Why for Phoenix - Chandler wants out and wants to play for a contender. He also isn't part of the rebuild. Burks makes $3 million less and is worth a shot for Phoenix. If he helps them, great. If he doesn't, he gets paid less and expires. Giving up 3 or 4 spots in the draft when Phoenix has 3 1st rounders under #20 isnt bad for them.

Why for us - Chandler is good insurance for a Gobert injury. He is also a proven winner and good locker room guy. We get to bump up a few spaces in the draft for taking on a few million more in salary. He expires after the year so it doesn't affect 2019.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

I think a sneaky little trade would be to send Burks and our first to Phoenix for Tyson Chandler and either the Bucks 1st or Heat 1st.

Why for Phoenix - Chandler wants out and wants to play for a contender. He also isn't part of the rebuild. Burks makes $3 million less and is worth a shot for Phoenix. If he helps them, great. If he doesn't, he gets paid less and expires. Giving up 3 or 4 spots in the draft when Phoenix has 3 1st rounders under #20 isnt bad for them.

Why for us - Chandler is good insurance for a Gobert injury. He is also a proven winner and good locker room guy. We get to bump up a few spaces in the draft for taking on a few million more in salary. He expires after the year so it doesn't affect 2019.

Horrible. We have Epke and Favors and Jerebko as insurance. Adding a high dollar contract and axing one of those contracts is plainly stupid.

He makes $3 million more than Burks. Do the math troll. We could keep Favors and Udoh if we want.

As of now, Burks doesn't play any meaningful minutes. Chandler would especially if we can adequately rest Gobert.

Oh yeah, we move up a couple spots in the draft.

He makes $3 million more than Burks. Do the math troll. We could keep Favors and Udoh if we want.

As of now, Burks doesn't play any meaningful minutes. Chandler would especially if we can adequately rest Gobert.

Oh yeah, we move up a couple spots in the draft.
Phoenix won’t give up an asset to get rid of Chandler for Burks. And adding a high priced center behind Gobert is a bad idea - even on an expiring contract. Ekpe Udoh is a perfect role player at an appropriate cost.

Better off targeting Carroll (or Faried) and filling a role on the bench (scoring/perimeter defense/ rebounding) that is actually needed.

Last edited:
Sign and trade is much more likely if we get Parker or Gordon. Moving AB and waiving all non-guaranteed guys leaves us at $15M with the Exum cap hold... if you can sign Dante to something quickly you can clear another 5-7M. The timing makes it tough to try and sign either outright.

Meanwhile Dallas, Chicago, maybe Indiana, Phoenix can offer those guys a contract. A lot of moving parts.

If they aren't willing to sign and trade those guys then it is likely they just match whatever is offered and try and trade them later (the Blake Griffin). Neither team is in a great position to lose an asset for nothing.
I always forget his cap hold is that big because most sites list the expected QO and not the cap hold in next years salary.

I always forget his cap hold is that big because most sites list the expected QO and not the cap hold in next years salary.

Yeah it’s a weird dance with that. If we can agree to a contract quickly we can cut some of the affect there but I don’t see it happening.

Honestly I’m not a huge Gordon or Parker guy. Would love to have one of them on a decent contract but neither guy has proven to materially help a team win... I get the appeal though.

Yeah it’s a weird dance with that. If we can agree to a contract quickly we can cut some of the affect there but I don’t see it happening.

Honestly I’m not a huge Gordon or Parker guy. Would love to have one of them on a decent contract but neither guy has proven to materially help a team win... I get the appeal though.
I’d rather trade for Otto Porter and keep Favors than clear cap space for either Parker or Gordon. Easily a better option imo.

I get this feeling that Ellis269 wants the jazz to acquire demarre carrol. I could be wrong though.

What about a 3 team trade where New Orleans gets Chandler, Phoenix gets Sefolosha/Ekpe, and the Jazz get Mirotic?

What about a 3 team trade where New Orleans gets Chandler, Phoenix gets Sefolosha/Ekpe, and the Jazz get Mirotic?
Two problems with that.
A.) If the Pelicans get rid of Mirotic, they almost certainly will want to completely shed his salary to lower their LT bill after re-signing Cousins.

B.) Sefalosha/Udoh isn’t enough salary going out. Has to be either Burks or Sefalosha/Jerebko. . . and Burks doesn’t make sense for them for the same reason Chandler doesn’t make sense.

Two problems with that.
A.) If the Pelicans get rid of Mirotic, they almost certainly will want to completely shed his salary to lower their LT bill after re-signing Cousins.

B.) Sefalosha/Udoh isn’t enough salary going out. Has to be either Burks or Sefalosha/Jerebko. . . and Burks doesn’t make sense for them for the same reason Chandler doesn’t make sense.

My thought is that even if they resign DeMarcus, he's coming off a major injury and they'll want to bring him back really slowly. New Orleans went on their run this year after they signed Okafor to start next to AD. Chandler is obviously an upgrade from that, would be a on a one-year deal, and would allow them to slowly bring back DeMarcus.

I get this feeling that Ellis269 wants the jazz to acquire demarre carrol. I could be wrong though.
It’s actually less about acquiring DeMarre Carroll and more about committing to Favors and Exum - which then limits what we can do to improve the team in other areas.

The best way to do that (IMO) is to trade our expiring contracts (plus 2nd round picks) for players that can contribute and then to get another solid player (or two) from the draft. I’m drinking the coolaid on keeping this team intact and then upgrading where possible. In that context, the best players that I can think to target are Carroll and Mirotic.

Flipping Burks’ DNPs for Carroll’s contributions would be tremendous. Imagine Gobert/Favors, Crowder, Carroll, Jingles, O’Neale, Mitchell, Rubio and Exum as your playoff rotation? Holy ****! The Jazz get more scoring, more perimeter defense and another guy who fits the team’s identify and culture perfectly.

Mirotic is a younger, better (albeit more expensive) version of Jerebko. Hell yeah I’d take him in a heartbeat for that role. I’m not sold on the fact that they’ll move him though. They might just bite the financial bullet on that one. If it came to it, I’d send them cash in the deal to make it happen too.

Carroll is the best option (helps us and expires after next year), but he won't be given away. Maybe we could send multiple 2nd rounders and Burks, but that's highly unlikely.

It really sucks we have to pay Burks next year. Its sad he never panned out and is now more of an issue than solution.

Carroll is the best option (helps us and expires after next year), but he won't be given away. Maybe we could send multiple 2nd rounders and Burks, but that's highly unlikely.

It really sucks we have to pay Burks next year. Its sad he never panned out and is now more of an issue than solution.
I’d trade Burks and multiple 2nds to get Carroll prior to the draft - in a heartbeat. That instantly saves them $4 million dollars heading into free agency and doubles the number of assets they got to take him on in the cap dump in the first place.

Plus, they could try to rehab Burks value and trade him again before the deadline. Through the first 40 games, he was getting about 19 minutes a game, shooting 41% overall, 35% on 3s, averaging 3.3 rebounds, 1 assist, 1 steal and 9.5 points per game. It’s not like he doesn’t have talent. He just clearly isn’t a great fit for Quin’s system and style of play.

burks actually played well vs the clippers.

I think the jazz could use him at times when we have those awful droughts.