What's new

Game Thread Nov 02, 2022 06:30PM MT: Jazz at Mavericks

Added to Calendar: 11-02-22

You're doing it again. Right here.

As I've said before, I don't have a problem with people disagreeing with me. When you deliberately misunderstand what I say, and use that as the basis for making a condescending comment, that's what's annoying.

And that's what you literally did again, right here. See what I mean?
I said i wasn't mocking you. Im sorry for saying I wasn't mocking you. What would you like for me to do? Maybe tell me how to respond to your next post in like a "ps" or something and I will do it.

Btw Steve when you said "are you being stupid on purpose?" that was probably the worst insult in our exchange. Im cool with it though. No biggie. I think you are good poster. I like reading your posts most of the time and give you lots of thumbs up and mostly remember positive interactions with you.

@fishonjazz and @MT Steve

Please dudes, let it end. You both are now in a loop of unconstructive debate with each other leading to nothing good.

+/- and free throw stats are what they are and their usefulness depends a lot of context they are talked against. +/- stat's (for individual player) usefulness is highly correlated with the size of the sample set. One game is never enough, neither ten, but over longer periods of time it is clear that good players tend to have better +/- stat than worse players. There is absolutely no magic here. Inaccurate AF for high resolution evaluation, yes! Meaningless, no!

Amount of free throws in a game could be useful evaluation tool for reffing if we also use big samples that take account who was reffing, who were on the court, what was box score in that situation etc.

But you guys know that already. Probably better than I do. :)

Please dudes, let it end. You both are now in a loop of unconstructive debate with each other leading to nothing good.

+/- and free throw stats are what they are and their usefulness depends a lot of context they are talked against. +/- stat's (for individual player) usefulness is highly correlated with the size of the sample set. One game is never enough, to ten, but over longer periods of time it is clear that good players tend to have better +/- stat than worse players. There is absolutely no magic here. Inaccurate AF for high resolution evaluation, yes! Meanigless, no!

Amount of free throws in a game could be useful evaluation tool for reffing if we also use big samples that take account who was reffing, who were on the court, what was box score in that situation etc.

100% correct. Good advice bro

Going against well done Zone defense needs running good screen actions to get things going. These kind of games are good for learning. Just run more of them darn screens when the Zone is thrown on again.

This is the first game of the season where I'm questioning Hardy's strategy. When the other team throws a zone at you and you have a versatile big like Lauri who happens to be cold from the perimeter, you keep running him into the high post and giving him the ball on the move. You have to force the defense to commit and collapse. Markkanen has showed he's able to distribute from the interior, he's so big he sees over the defense.

Guards taking turns driving into the teeth of the zone isn't gonna cut it. Sexton, Beasley, Conley and Clarkson aren't scaring anyone down there.

However, the way Markkanen is used is also affected by who's playing with him. I love Vandy taking those open corner 3s and that's something that could eventually take his game to another level... but at this point, he's still being ignored by the defense on the perimeter. So when he's out there with Lauri, their skillsets kinda dictate that Markkanen has to hang out in the corner more and Vanderbilt floats near the paint. That's why I generally think it's a bad idea to play Lauri with front court non-shooters a lot – he's not really a perimeter player who can just choose to take his game outside. The corner is almost too logical a spot for him in these situations and it can lead to him being uninvolved in the offense.

Offensively, Olynyk is the perfect tag team partner for Lauri on this roster, but KO seems to be getting into foul trouble all the time these days and can't stay on the court.

Last edited:
I agree with you, Hardy was not too good tonight slow to adjust on my opinion.. He is a young coach, he can't do all right. Next game will be interesting and Fakers who just win 2 in a row and seems to find how to play. We got it and this one is memory, we lost it and tank may come back !!

I agree with the proceeding, but we're still 6-3 and just barely lost to another playoff team. Stuff happens and as long as we get something from it, it's a learning experience. I like that Hardy had fire last night with calling out the Refs before the half and if Hardy is as adaptable as he's displayed, he'll cook up something against that zone look.

I didn't see the game, but I was very surprised to see Markkanen inbound the final play and also the fact that he only took 2 shots in the 4th quarter (1 missed 3, 1 made 2). Was it more on Lauri not being active/aggressive enough to shake defenders, or was it more on Hardy not funneling the ball his way?

+/- and free throw stats are what they are and their usefulness depends a lot of context they are talked against. +/- stat's (for individual player) usefulness is highly correlated with the size of the sample set. One game is never enough, neither ten, but over longer periods of time it is clear that good players tend to have better +/- stat than worse players. There is absolutely no magic here. Inaccurate AF for high resolution evaluation, yes! Meaningless, no!

Shut up, I just barely got my popcorn.

Clarkson with a couple really nice passes this game. I'm extremely happy with how JC had played so far this year. He's not a natural passer, but he's a capable one.

I understand all the reasons that Kessler didn't get back in the game. Still, I really don't enjoy watching basketball without any rim protection, I miss Rudy.

I didn't see the game, but I was very surprised to see Markkanen inbound the final play and also the fact that he only took 2 shots in the 4th quarter (1 missed 3, 1 made 2). Was it more on Lauri not being active/aggressive enough to shake defenders, or was it more on Hardy not funneling the ball his way?
This. Really he was not involved much at all, all things considered. That last play should have been an inbound pass and a pick and pop for Lauri as the drawn up play. Still, not a bad outing, we stayed competitive and put some fear into the Mavs. They were celebrating like they just won a playoff game, when all they did was beat a ragtag group of rebels who aren't supposed to accomplish anything this season. If that isn't a moral victory I do not know what is.

Lauri disappeared last night. Good player but this is a game where you can tell the Jazz still need a #1 franchise guy.

Clarkson with a couple really nice passes this game. I'm extremely happy with how JC had played so far this year. He's not a natural passer, but he's a capable one.

I understand all the reasons that Kessler didn't get back in the game. Still, I really don't enjoy watching basketball without any rim protection, I miss Rudy.
Yeah... he also is much better on defense. Maybe Quin shouldn't have just told him to shoot everything everytime... there was a more complete basketball player in there.

Lauri disappeared last night. Good player but this is a game where you can tell the Jazz still need a #1 franchise guy.
Lauri might be that guy but he will have to take another leap forward, I think a lot of it is in his confidence to just BE that guy in those moments instead of deferring. It will help if Hardy helps him see that and draws up plays so he can be comfortable taking the reigns. But no matter what he is just about the perfect #2 option for a winning team. Either way a keeper and maybe a franchise cornerstone. Not bad compensation in the trade.

He needs to watch Hoosiers and see Jimmy Chitwood deliver his line "I'll make it".

1667489905603.png