What's new

Game Thread Nov 24, 2021 06:00PM MT: Jazz at Thunder

Added to Calendar: 11-24-21

I missed the game but it doesn't sound like its worth watching. Still waiting for the team from last season to show up because this season has been kind of a dud. The Jazz are playing like they are bored by the regular season and they are content just playing well enough to land a 3-5 seed. If they plan to coast early in the season I don't see any reason to not iron out a few things in preparation for the playoffs.

I missed the game but it doesn't sound like its worth watching. Still waiting for the team from last season to show up because this season has been kind of a dud. The Jazz are playing like they are bored by the regular season and they are content just playing well enough to land a 3-5 seed. If they plan to coast early in the season I don't see any reason to not iron out a few things in preparation for the playoffs.

This is what everyone wanted after last season ended.
All i kept hearing was how the regular season doesn’t matter and how no one cares about the regular season. Jazz made some moves to improve our playoff play that would sacrifice our regular season a bit.

This is what we wanted

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app

It was ugly

All i kept hearing was how the regular season doesn’t matter and how no one cares about the regular season. Jazz made some moves to improve our playoff play that would sacrifice our regular season a bit.

This is what we wanted

We wanted the playoffs success to regular season success ratio to increase by pumping up the numerator, not by dropping the denominator.

This is what we wanted

You see passion and experimentation from the coaches and players in an effort to expand our repertoire for the playoffs? If so, please tell me where you see that because I’d like to lean into those perceptions. If they’re real, of course.

This is what we wanted

It's a lot like life. We feel the years pass faster and faster, yet I've spent an interminable hour waiting for a doctor to tell me I had cancer. In the short-term our perceptions change. So yes we know we needed to improve our odds in the playoffs, but I still want them to win every single game. And by golly I'm gonna bitch when they don't! Especially when the reason is largely lack of effort and focus, which has been a real problem this year.

Unpopular opinion:

Maybe a lot of players are just mentally and physically exhausted? They had the Covid bubble year. Then a jam packed year. Summer Olympics. Now this sloppy season.

Honestly, there’s a lot of bad basketball going on right now. And it could be worse, we could be Denver with 2/3 of our stars dealing with serious injury.

I do think however, we need some juice. Jingles especially, looks mentally and physically exhausted. I wish we had some draft picks that could spell jingles right now. Or a trade that could bring some athleticism to our team.

Last edited:
There are guys outside the rotation that could play but that would interfere with Dexter's Laboratory calculations that are oh so perfect.

You see passion and experimentation from the coaches and players in an effort to expand our repertoire for the playoffs? If so, please tell me where you see that because I’d like to lean into those perceptions. If they’re real, of course.
Bruh… we went small last night. I mean it was out of necessity and clearly not something we have prepared for at all… and is partly because Quin would rather die than play our third string center who’s option we picked up for no apparent reason. This is huge progress lmao that you can’t see it.

For reals though I’ve seen some tinkering with the zone at times but it hasn’t looked promising or that guys actually knew how to do it. I haven’t seen a lot of experimenting at all. And the league may have caught up to some of the stuff we did that was so effective.

Good team… I’m grateful for them. My faith in them as an actual real contender is waning.

Unpopular opinion:

Maybe a lot of players are just mentally and physically exhausted? They had the Covid bubble year. Then a jam packed year. Summer Olympics. Now this sloppy season.

Honestly, there’s a lot of bad basketball going on right now. And it could be worse, we could be Denver with 2/3 of our stars dealing with serious injury.

I do think however, we need some juice. Jingles especially, looks mentally and physically exhausted. I wish we had some draft picks that could spell jingles right now. Or a trade that could bring some athleticism to our team.
We have needed more functional athleticism on the wing for a while. Look at how big a boost old man Rudy Gay is. It does seem like Joe is either too far gone or a little burnt out. I’m hoping it’s not true… it would be pretty easy for him to mail in this next few months before heading back to Australia.

We wanted the playoffs success to regular season success ratio to increase by pumping up the numerator, not by dropping the denominator.

Thats not what i heard end of last season. It was more like who cares about the regular season and the regular season doesnt matter and it was stupid to try so hard for the one seed cause seeding doesnt matter.

No one cared about the denominator.

No i see different lineups. Sometimes integrating new pieces into the lineups and figuring out those new pieces fit can come at the expense of regular season wins.
We shouldnt expect this different team to be as good as our historically great (and under appreciated by many jazz fans) team was in the regular season last year.

The new additions made and the players lost SHOULD benefit us in the playoffs. Thats what we all wanted right? So we shouldnt get down on this team too much unless they underperform when it matters.

Thats not what i heard end of last season. It was more like who cares about the regular season and the regular season doesnt matter and it was stupid to try so hard for the one seed cause seeding doesnt matter.

No one cared about the denominator.

I think the one seed matters A LOT. You have to be a clear favorite to advance to the finals to not care about seeding and the very meaningful advantage that comes from being the higher seed in a series. The Jazz are not the far and away favorite to come out of the West this year, so they are going to care very much about seeding when they start round one on the road against a team who is favored to beat them.

Just like in games where the Jazz coast through 3 qtrs and then try to "turn it on" in the 4th when they are down by double-digits only to lose by a few points, I'm afraid that if they wait until the playoffs to care it's gonna be too late by the time their "I give a ****" engine gets warmed up.

Just like in games where the Jazz coast through 3 qtrs and then try to "turn it on" in the 4th when they are down by double-digits only to lose by a few points, I'm afraid that if they wait until the playoffs to care it's gonna be too late by the time their "I give a ****" engine gets warmed up.
This.

While I obviously care about the post-season now than the regular season, I care about the regular season a lot, because it determines seeding and it shows us our stamina — mentally and physically — over large samples, even if it’s not a perfect correlation with post-season success.

Wasn't he the same draft as Oni, Brantley and Justin Wright-Foreman? Like, we whiffed on three guys in the late 2nd round instead of him.
DL missed all of his second round draft picks during his jazz tenure. I mean all of them......

I know we are all still excited about Butler but that robinson Earl kid from OKC was a 32nd pick and he's already looking like another late round steal by OKC. The kid is a 6'9 stretch 4 who actually fills a hole on this jazz roster. We could have gotten him AND Butler, had DL not given away our second round draft picks like Halloween candies last year.

No i see different lineups. Sometimes integrating new pieces into the lineups and figuring out those new pieces fit can come at the expense of regular season wins.
We shouldnt expect this different team to be as good as our historically great (and under appreciated by many jazz fans) team was in the regular season last year.

The new additions made and the players lost SHOULD benefit us in the playoffs. Thats what we all wanted right? So we shouldnt get down on this team too much unless they underperform when it matters.

All things considered, I think that it’s fair to moan when there’s been an absolute minimum of experimentation and, at times, a noticeable lack of passion.

Those two things go hand-in-hand, actually. Maybe if Q was instituting and managing an environment with more experimentation, then there would be more inspiration/passion.

Also, our returning players this year account for something like 85% of all of last season’s minutes played (3rd highest in the league, iirc). So integrating new pieces is a weak excuse.

Rudy Gay has had a positive +/- in every game so far and is +8.7 per game in 17 mins. His PER is over 20. He's averaging 9.9 rebounds per 36 mins, which is double the rebound rate of both Royce and Bojan.

Jazz might want to increase his minutes or even consider starting him.

Last edited: