What's new

Ochai- What do we think?

I think you are too deep into talent per talent comp and you sort of forget about fit.

Hardys system values one skill over all others on offense which is perimeter shooting. Ochai is approaching the elite NBA level at that and both his shot selection and accuracy look great.

I dont think Anthony Black for instance is a gimmie to be a better player here than Ochai is, despite being more talented overall.

Also since the FO labeled him untouchable at trade DL I'm sure there is more to him than what we have seen.
Herman... you know I don't care what the FO says... lol... they a bunch of damn liars.

Look - I like Ochai... I have concerns about what else he does other than shooting. The shooting is enough for him to be an NBA player... but if its just the shooting he's a low upside NBA player.

If the Minny pick fell at like 18 and I had an opportunity to trade into the top ten with Ochai... I'd have a hard time with that. There are no guarantees and I can see how some would pass on that type of deal.

As @Elizah Huge brought up maybe its 9+Ochai for 4... I'd stretch it and say maybe its 9+Ochai for 6. Would you rather have Hendricks and Ochai or Cam Whitmore... or would you rather have Wallace and Ochai or Cam Whitmore (Maybe Ausar if he is your cup of tea). I think its a valid question and real world hypothetical

That's one guy... but others don't put a name/label on it and just say he's going to be very good or that they are super high on what he can become. I'm medium-ish on him (with reasons) and hope he surprises me.
So one dude, a dude who is known for being extremely hyperbolic, called him Klay lite and you need to go on an anti Ochai crusade?

We just like an athletic lomg 6'6 wing with a pretty *** shot

So one dude, a dude who is known for being extremely hyperbolic, called him Klay lite and you need to go on an anti Ochai crusade?

We just like an athletic lomg 6'6 wing with a pretty *** shot
Raising valid concerns on a dudes upside and speculating on what if scenarios where we would get real value for Ochai is an anti Ochai crusade... okay. I like him too... I just might be willing to move him in the right deal... I also am wondering how much better he can get. Literally bringing up those questions brough the venom out... I simply stated real reasons why I might have doubts about him being more than Reggie Bullock with a nicer looking jumper.

I mean it ain't like I'm saying he should be sent to the G League until he can get more stocks...

I think the things about Agbaji that gives me hope is that he has an NBA body, can clearly shoot the ball well and seems to have a great attitude and work ethic. You can see him building confidence in himself and his teammates.

The guy I hope he becomes is a poor man’s Khris Middleton. That’s a really damn good player. Their rookie season per 36 numbers are really similar. Middleton shot more 2’s and got more steals. Agbaji shoots a lot more 3’s and at a better percentage. They flip where they get their rebounds (Agbaji offensive, Middleton defensive) but their overall percentage is close. I think the upside is there for him to grow into a higher usage player in a bigger role.

Middleton got traded after his rookie season, and I’m pretty sure Detroit was kicking themselves after he became a solid starter for the Bucks in his sophomore year. Granted, Middleton became an All-Star player for the Bucks down the road, and I’m not saying I expect that for Ochai. . . but I do thing the potential for that type of growth is there.

Herman... you know I don't care what the FO says... lol... they a bunch of damn liars.

Look - I like Ochai... I have concerns about what else he does other than shooting. The shooting is enough for him to be an NBA player... but if its just the shooting he's a low upside NBA player.

If the Minny pick fell at like 18 and I had an opportunity to trade into the top ten with Ochai... I'd have a hard time with that. There are no guarantees and I can see how some would pass on that type of deal.

As @Elizah Huge brought up maybe its 9+Ochai for 4... I'd stretch it and say maybe its 9+Ochai for 6. Would you rather have Hendricks and Ochai or Cam Whitmore... or would you rather have Wallace and Ochai or Cam Whitmore (Maybe Ausar if he is your cup of tea). I think its a valid question and real world hypothetical
I dont think trading him is unthinkable, but to trade him for a project guy who might not even fit would be wild.

Also I personally think the untouchable part was more like "dont bother calling us just to shop this guy". Now if there was a trade for a piece that looked shinier I'm sure it goes out the window.

But still saying it tells FO and/or Hardy see something. They didnt say that about Sexton or others except for the three guys... our top 2 and Ochai who wasnt even playing much then.

Im not too concerned about any rebounding numbers given we play with 3 7 footers on the court at times, while the likes of Gay, THT and Dunn who all play significant minutes are very good rebounders for their position. Also had Vanderbilt for the first 60 games who is one the better rebounders in the league.

Am I god?
tumblr_na5hq200Ws1s0teago3_400.gif

I think he is very good looking.
I think it was cy in the gamthread that said he looks like a model. He’s not wrong.

Ehm I invented having a mancrush on Ochai.

One of the very few things Ive invented, one other being hot sauce on a donut which tastes bad but is still my invention.
thanks for ruining any chance of ever eating a donut again wthout thinking of american pie smh
hot sauce on a dough-nut really? that takes the cake