What's new

Off-season 2020 Conley Trade Ideas

This remaining NBA "season" might be one of the most important in team history.

Gobert - does he dominate? If not, do we trade him before a regrettable contract?

Conley - does he impress during the playoffs to change the narrative on him since we got him?

Clarkson - how does he play in this stretch? Do we keep him?

Youth - does anybody step up in the absence of Bojan to create a future role with the team?

I'm just glad they are playing. If we had gone into an offseason without these answers, we could have made poor, uninformed decisions.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

Just an FYI... from what I understand the cap next year will be similar to the projected number given already... so it won't be changed from its projection much. The following year there will be a decline and they could do some "smoothing" to make it not a giant decline.

Under that scenario I do think Philly would be interested in moving on from Harris... they have like $150M committed that year already.

If I thought we could get close enough to give us a title shot by trading for CP I'd have done it earlier this year. Now... IDK... Losing the playoff run this year sucks... who knows if he sticks with his diet and conditioning.
If the cap stays the same, then a deal like Snell doesn't make too much sense for us unless we are doing other big deals. The same could be said for the Batum deal, unless we really like Monk.

I find it very hard to believe that the salary cap and luxury limit increase as expected. Maybe the numbers stay the same, but I think everything goes down at least a little due to lost revenue.

This remaining NBA "season" might be one of the most important in team history.

Gobert - does he dominate? If not, do we trade him before a regrettable contract?

Conley - does he impress during the playoffs to change the narrative on him since we got him?

Clarkson - how does he play in this stretch? Do we keep him?

Youth - does anybody step up in the absence of Bojan to create a future role with the team?

I'm just glad they are playing. If we had gone into an offseason without these answers, we could have made poor, uninformed decisions.

I feel like Clarkson is a good bet. He was super consistent off the bench and can actually play in our system. He just turned 28 and I've been a Clarkson homer for a while so do it, Utah.

You guys gotta prepare yourselves for the “this is Utah, we resurrect old *** players” narrative. “Conley hasn’t had time here to really get into what the training staff can give him.” He’s bound to improve light years.

Because he’s a “great dude” the Jazz choose not to trade him to a place he doesn’t want to go. He then sucks *** again next year and leaves for nothing. Worst case - even though he’s a “great dude”, he still chooses to talk about how he hated it here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is probably spot on.

I still don’t think we’ll see NBA playoffs.
This.

They just had what, another 4 or 6 NBA players test positive, including Jokic? They have no way of knowing who is carrying the virus, typhoid Mary style. They are then going to bring all these players into close contact with each other? What do they expect? I imagine we will still see this season cancelled, or you are going to see a lot of top players choosing to sit out.

Either way it will be a farce. But hey, maybe we have a chance at the farce championship!

This.

They just had what, another 4 or 6 NBA players test positive, including Jokic? They have no way of knowing who is carrying the virus, typhoid Mary style. They are then going to bring all these players into close contact with each other? What do they expect? I imagine we will still see this season cancelled, or you are going to see a lot of top players choosing to sit out.

Either way it will be a farce. But hey, maybe we have a chance at the farce championship!
Farce championship is better than no championship.

This.

Not to Trump it up here... but the reason these guys know they have the virus is because they are headed to Orlando... they will quarantine before arriving and after arriving... Even if a worker brings the virus in if they are distanced and masked I'm not sure how much spread there would be. I bet you about 5-10% of the players test positive before arriving... once they are in Orlando I'll bet there are very few cases. I think "the bubble" is the safest place for most of these guys.

Jokic was not social distancing at all and there were photos/videos documenting how unconcerned he likely was. I don't think he's an extreme outlier... I think most guys are going about their business in a fairly normal manner.

Even if a worker brings the virus in if they are distanced and masked I'm not sure how much spread there would be. I bet you about 5-10% of the players test positive before arriving... once they are in Orlando I'll bet there are very few cases. I think "the bubble" is the safest place for most of these guys.
Agreed, IMO players are more likely to get the virus outside the bubble than inside. With all that checks they are going to make, the bubble will be a VERY safe place.
I'm sure the NBA won't leave anything to chance.

My irresponsible proposition: Those are strong, healthy young dudes. So far the infected players seem to go through it pretty light. I propose that they close all the players in a gym together with Jokovic and others infected, sort of chickenpox party some parents do for their kids. Than everybody goes through it and after two weeks everybody is immune and all teams have equal chances.

My irresponsible proposition: Those are strong, healthy young dudes. So far the infected players seem to go through it pretty light. I propose that they close all the players in a gym together with Jokovic and others infected, sort of chickenpox party some parents do for their kids. Than everybody goes through it and after two weeks everybody is immune and all teams have equal chances.
This is my wife's strategy... she wants to just get it over with and move on... I can see some issues here but I've seen dumber things pitched.

This.

Not to mention they’re allowed to socialize with one another at their respective hotels. There are a total of eight teams at the Jazz hotel. So around 100 players. Do we really think they’re not going to mingle and socialize?

Not to mention they’re allowed to socialize with one another at their respective hotels. There are a total of eight teams at the Jazz hotel. So around 100 players. Do we really think they’re not going to mingle and socialize?
They are supposed to wear masks I believe... Do you really think they are not socializing with people now? The people they are socializing with will be tested multiple times and will go through multiple quarantines. The workers will be tested for symptoms and be observing the most strict distancing and mask wearing. Are these guys just sitting in a padded room doing their own cooking and not coming in contact with anyone?

They might increase the volume of people they come in contact with but those people will have a much, much lower chance of having the virus.

The Bubble > General Community

They are supposed to wear masks I believe... Do you really think they are not socializing with people now? The people they are socializing with will be tested multiple times and will go through multiple quarantines. The workers will be tested for symptoms and be observing the most strict distancing and mask wearing. Are these guys just sitting in a padded room doing their own cooking and not coming in contact with anyone?

They might increase the volume of people they come in contact with but those people will have a much, much lower chance of having the virus.

The Bubble > General Community

That’s nice in theory and an over generalization as people in the “general community” are quarantining and maintaining social distancing at different levels. Some not at all. Some extremely well with no contact with anyone other than their immediate family which is better than these players will be doing.

Someone will get it. I think that’s not a question of if but when. And if that one player has it, the chances are more will have it. With about 2-3 months remaining, there will be way too many opportunities and therefore likelihood of guys catching and spreading it.

So far as they’re supposed to wear masks. And follow rules. Yeah, I’m sure some will. I’m sure some if not many won’t.

That’s nice in theory and an over generalization as people in the “general community” are quarantining and maintaining social distancing at different levels. Some not at all. Some extremely well with no contact with anyone other than their immediate family which is better than these players will be doing.

Someone will get it. I think that’s not a question of if but when. And if that one player has it, the chances are more will have it. With about 2-3 months remaining, there will be way too many opportunities and therefore likelihood of guys catching and spreading it.

So far as they’re supposed to wear masks. And follow rules. Yeah, I’m sure some will. I’m sure some if not many won’t.
As long as Chris Paul is in that bubble everyone gonna follow all the rules... otherwise he gonna be lighting up the snitch line and asking for suspensions.

Seriously though... there is a reason all these cases are coming out now... I'll bet you dollars to donuts that the cases we identify in pre-screening will double the cases discovered while in the bubble.

I think Conley for Harris with add ins where needed to make the deal work would be awesome. I would love to see Harris and bogdonavic in our two forward positions. Slide Mitchell to the 1 and start clarkson Royce or joe at the 2. Then we just need to resign clarkson and use our mid in favors. I’d also love to see Rayjon shine out

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz mobile app

Discussing Harris at this point is dumb. Dude has 4/140 left. There’s zero chance we’re taking on that contract with Mitchell and Gobert both due extensions soon enough and a cap that could shrink.

4/140.

Ya that would be crazy huh? Trading for the guy they would’ve tried to sign on a similar contract had the sizers not traded for him and we had not traded for Conley.

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz mobile app

At this point we have to accept that Conley is very likely (95% IMO) not to be traded.
I can see only two possible deals (I actually don't think we could make a trade with Philly)
Mike + (....) for OPJ + (...) more likely
Mike + (....) for CP3 + (...) less likely
But I really don't know if these could work as I'm not very knowledgeable on trades...