What's new

*OFFICIAL* 17 on 26, Donovan Mitchell is the Monta Ellis watch thread

I do know one concern is his finishing at the rim is the lowest in his career, at .575 (0-3 feet), and it has dropped every year since his rookie year. He needs to figure out how to complete those layups. His rookie year he was like a wizard at the rim, his percentage showed it at .638, but he seems to have lost that. Maybe teams have just figure out how to shut that down. But it's really something he needs to figure out.

But to balance that out a bit his 3 pt shooting is the best of his career at .392. I wouldn't be surprised if he ended the season above 40.

I do know one concern is his finishing at the rim is the lowest in his career, at .575 (0-3 feet), and it has dropped every year since his rookie year. He needs to figure out how to complete those layups. His rookie year he was like a wizard at the rim, his percentage showed it at .638, but he seems to have lost that. Maybe teams have just figure out how to shut that down. But it's really something he needs to figure out.

But to balance that out a bit his 3 pt shooting is the best of his career at .392. I wouldn't be surprised if he ended the season above 40.

yeah, I mean 3 is worth more than 2. Even while declining at the rim, his eFG% & TS% are career highs this year because his 3pt shooting is considerably improved.

I mean it’s like you root against him and always ready to jump on his *** at all times and when he plays well, your idiot *** is no where to be found. Go itch yourself!! Idiot!!
You'll all be swinging from my nut hairs on this in time. This forum always does. Thee Jazz fan will probably be chimp #1 after DM shoots Utah out of the playoffs. Imagine it, the #1 seed with a 10,000 game win streak knocked out early cuz their leading scorer once again has more shots than points.

You sound like you want me to post about this more frequently. I have little interest. Utah fans are as dumb as the rest of the leagues'. Nothing makes this fanbase any more special. Typical know it alls with no insight or foresight. You're too banal for me. Idiot!

You should tuck tail and hide before someone quotes all your posts in this thread.;)

You'll all be swinging from my nut hairs on this in time. This forum always does.

Thee Jazz fan will probably be chimp #1 after DM shoots Utah out of the playoffs.
Who is this thee jazz fan you speak of? He sounds like a real *******!!
Utah fans are as dumb as the rest of the leagues'. Nothing makes this fanbase any more special. Typical know it alls with no insight or foresight. You're too banal for me. Idiot!
Two things, 1. Use banal in another sentence
2. You’re imitating me now, how precious, you lllllllloooooooovvvvvvveeeeeee meeeeeeee

To outline my biggest concern with Mitchell, his performance around the rim has gotten significantly worse over the past few years, as I showed before, and right now he is downright pedestrian if not straight up bad finishing close to the rim.

From 0-3 feet (read dunks, short hook shots, and layups):

League average (qualified players only as per Basketball Reference) = 0.654

JI - 0.769 (Ingles best on team by far - 23rd in the league)
JC - 0.744 - (42nd - I expected Clarkson to actually be our best here, he is great at the rim)
RG - 0.735 - (49th - Gobert has the most dunks in the league by a wide margin, but his "layups" not a dunk pull him down dramatically, as he suck at about anything that isn't a dunk)

Those guys are in the top 50 in the entire league, bigs included, for finishing at the rim. Now we have our 2 main ball-handlers.

DM - 0.575 (Mitchell significantly below league average) - 184th in the league
MC - 0.571 - 187th (Conley actually surprised me here, thought he was better than this)

Now let's go one step further out, which would amount to the floaters and short jumpers...

From 3-10 feet (floaters, short jumpers, etc.):

League average (again qualified only as per BR) = 0.425

JI - 0.593 (13th in the league)
MC - 0.559 (24th in the league - Conley redeems himself here. He is a great floater shooter. Nearly at the point he is better off taking the floater, as his at rim is pretty low but of course still slightly better than this mid-range distance)
JC - 0.529 (35th in the league)

And now, our primary scorer.

DM - 0.414 (130th in the league)

This is just bad. No other way to put it. Mitchell is bad from 0-10 feet in. Not just average, but straight up bad.

Before anyone starts saying it is due to defenses focusing on him, Irving, Leonard, Booker, Paul, Beal, Curry, Jokic, Middleton, even Crowder, are all better from 3-10 feet than even Clarkson, and you better believe defenses are focused on most of those guys every bit as hard as Mitchell.

And at the rim Jamal Murray, maybe Mitchell's best comp, finishes at 0.867 rate, 2nd best in the league. And Fox, Leonard, Brown, LaVine, Doncic, Harden, even Lonzo Ball and Westbrook, along with, oh 72 other PGs and SGs are better from 0-3 feet than Mitchell. That is a real problem.

And considering Mitchell shoots nearly 40% of his shots from this distance (55% total inside the 3 pt line, where he is mediocre at best at every distance compared to the rest of the league - 128th in the league at long 2's at 0.356 with league avg at 0.425) that is a big issue for our primary scorer. He needs to be at least average on these shots, where he is really below average, and badly. And he has gotten worse every year he has been in the league. It doesn't help that he is consciously cutting back on his dunk attempts, which really brought his averages up. I get why, save his legs for the playoffs, and I can support that, but it hurts his ability to finish at the rim when he isn't focused on getting there for a dunk attempt, as he is bad at trying to flip it off the backboard or shoot the floater.

Obviously he makes up with that from 3, but in the past 3 games his 3 pt percentage is slipping badly, at 6-29.

He needs to stabilize his efficiency or he will just be a chucker, volume scorer, which could really be problematic when the game is on the line. Hope he figures it out soon.