What's new

Official Derrick Favors Thread

Archie Moses

A few things about Favors:

He's 19 years old.

He's the youngest guy in the NBA.

From what I've seen, he doesn't have much of an offensive game outside of a dunk. Can anyone else add to this?

He has the size and athleticism the Jazz have been craving for like a fat kid salivating at my cheese fries.

Dude can float for a big guy.

He averages 6 points a game, but he's never shot more than 10 shots per game. (He's shot 10 3x's this year)

Big man who shoots over 50% from the floor. (I wish Big Al could. With that said, there's no reason any big man in the NBA can't shoot more than 50% from the field.)

He sucks at FT's.

He's a project.

Has a very good rebound/minute ratio for a rookie.

As I said in another thread Favors risk/reward factor >>>>>> DWill resigning in 2012 risk/reward factor.

Thoughts?

Wow, I'm surprised at the jazzfan having no interest in talking about a guy who has the potential to be a beast. Do yourself a Favor and react to me, jazzfanz.

Guy is as big as of a ? in the league right now. Wait and see. Could be a bust, could be decent, could be a future all star

I am excited about him. He is an awesome athlete and only 19 years old! Is this team average...yes. But we have some good pieces going forward to make a move.
Here is a video breaking down Favor's offensive skill set. It's pretty interesting. There is also a transcript here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgPDt-p2fk0

Don't listen to Dick, Archie. I love this kid. You can't teach size and athleticism and he has it in spades, as a 19 year old with an NBA-ready body. Add to that his work ethic, character (both have been mentioned over and over already today), and strong desire to play defense and we can't lose. Might he a 10-14 point per game scorer for his career. i suppose. But kid's 19 and could improve dramatically in that area and either way I think is going to be a hell of a defender.

Very little chance of being a bust.

Think of it this way. In five years, FIVE years, he'll still only be 24. That's a lot of time to chisel that body even more and work on his game. Watch out.

Never seen a second of this guy playing basketball. That said, I am going to completely buy into the hype. Heard he is a beastly rebounder. What we need now is a wing...

Do yourself a "Favor". Boooooooooooo. You're terrible.

I'm excited to see what he can do/can't do. In all honesty this is all so new I have no idea what to think. I feel like I just got cheated on and dumped.

I am excited about him. He is an awesome athlete and only 19 years old! Is this team average...yes. But we have some good pieces going forward to make a move.
Here is a video breaking down Favor's offensive skill set. It's pretty interesting. There is also a transcript here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgPDt-p2fk0

Looks really raw still. But he won't be expected to be a scoring force right away. Hell if he can be an effective rebounder right away that will help a ton.

After watching the video (I know.. very credible stuff about to pop out of my mouth), he reminds me of who Millsap was during his first season. Workhorse, hard rebounder, scoring on garbage plays and outworking guys. Except Favors is a better athlete and a bigger guy.

Could be really good... he really needs some grooming from a true post player.