What's new

****Official Food/Recipe Thread*****

images

Spotted Dick?

I was at 203.8 this morning and wanna get down to about 192-195 before going a bit more hardcore with my diet, truly locking in and focusing in a daily basis as much as possible. At least 180g of protein. Minimal fats, saturated and trans mostly.

Didn’t diet either between Thanksgiving and New Years Day.

What's the plan after reaching your goal?

What's the plan after reaching your goal?

The contest ends in two weeks. I hope to be at about 195. At that point, I’ll continue eating healthy but won’t torture myself with 1,500 calories and such. I’ll begin more cardio, lifting, core, etcetera, but manage my protein intake (180g+ every day) and continue eating lots of veggies every day.

My dream would be to very slowly get my weight down a little more to about 190 and begin to run semi-competitively again. Maybe do a triathlon.

I just want y’all to know that I just cooked the **** out of an extra long chili cheese coney and large chili cheese tots from Sonic.

I made some mad *** Thai Tom Yum last night.

Holy ****! So good!
Guess I should post my recipe.

I don't tend to follow recipes exactly, but I started with the Tom Yum recipe from www.eatingthaifood.com but I'll post how I made it below.

2 liters of homemade chicken bone broth (you could use fish stock, or store bought chicken broth, but man legit bone broth is a definite level up).
1.5lb chicken thighs, boneless, skinless, cut into small pieces.
4 stalks of lemongrass sliced into 1.5" pieces and pounded with a mallet.
1 thumb size piece of galangal sliced into disks.
12 kaffir lime leaves, bruised and torn.
7 cloves garlic, smashed.
2 birdseye chilis, stem removed and crushed(This was for the whole family, if it was just for me it would have been 10 chilis or so).
1/2 teaspoon of Nam Prik Pao (Thai Fried Chili Paste).
sm package of crimini mushrooms.
4 roma tomatoes, cut into 1/8ths.
Lg yellow onion, chopped into large pieces.
3 tablespoons sugar.
~10 tablespoons fish sauce (I used a thai fish sauce and it seemed a little more mild than others I've tried).
~14 tablespoons of fresh lime juice, about 6 limes worth.
1 bunch of cilantro.
1 bunch of green onion.
Rice, cooked.

Get the broth boiling then add the Lemongrass, Galangal, Kaffir leaves, Birdseye Chili, 1/2 teaspoon of Nam Prik Pao and Garlic. Boil for 10 min (I think longer would be just fine. If you went extra long you might need to add back some water).

Add the Mushroom, Tomato, Onion and Chicken. (I actually used my Sous Vide to pre cook the chicken at 132F for 1.5hrs so that I wouldn't be handling/cutting raw chicken, but that's just something I like to do)

Boil for 5-10 min until the chicken and veggies are cooked.

Start with about 6 tablespoons of fish sauce and a tablespoon or two of sugar. Taste and add more of either one until you like it. But you might still add more at the end after you add the lime juice.

Turn off the heat.

Start by adding some of your lime juice, 6-8 Tbps, Taste and add more until you get the right balance of sour and salt. If you need more saltiness add a little more fish sauce. If the sourness is too much add a little more sugar.

Add some rice to your bowl (optional) then ladle the soup over it.

Chop up the cilantro and green onion and add as a garnish.

Enjoy!

Next time I'll use either shrimp or chicken breast. Chicken breast only because it's easier to cut into uniform pieces.

Since I mentioned using bone broth I'll post how I make bone broth.

Chicken Bone Broth

I use an instant pot. If you're not using a pressure cooker this will take about a day (or two) of simmering to get the same quality of broth.

I buy 2 costco rotisserie chickens. You can use any rotisserie chicken but costco sells larger fresher ones for less than say walmart.

One package of chicken feet. I get my chicken feet at the Chinatown Supermarket (33rd S State). That's also where I get most of the other special ingredients for the Tom Yum (Kaffir leaves, lemongrass, glanagal, large selection of fish sauce, etc.)

2-3 carrots. roughly chopped

1 medium onion, quartered

4-5 stalks of celery, plus the tender leaves in the middle

1 head of garlic peeled and smashed

2 tablespoons black peppercorns

2-3 tablespoons kosher salt

3 bay leaves

I have an 8qt Instant pot and this pushes it to it's limit on space when I use a basket. But the basket makes the whole process WAY easier.

91GHroYdGcL._SL1500_.jpg

I remove the skin from the chickens and discard, I then remove all the meat and vacuum seal it and freeze it for later if I don't have immediate plans for it. But I try to coordinate making chicken tacos or enchiladas or something so I can use some of it fresh.

Clean the chicken feet by rinsing them thoroughly. I think chicken feet are perfect for this and very cheap but you could also use chicken wings I guess. You get a ton of collagen from the feet which is one of the great things about legit chicken bone broth. I say legit because they sell stuff at the store that says "bone broth" but whatever it is it's not the same as the stuff I make at home. Not even close.

Add all the ingredients to the basket. Smush it all down a bit so that it fits.

Add water until it covers all the ingredients OR until you reach the max fill level indicated on the instant pot. If you've reached the max fill level but the ingredients aren't fully covered do your best to smush them down some more so that they are pretty much covered. I put the veggies in last because if those aren't in the liquid it's not as big a deal to me, as it cooks things will soften up and compress down.

Set your instant pot for high pressure 30-40 min. No keep warm. Let it do its thing and let it naturally cool. You can manually release the steam but the pot is quite full and you'll make a big *** mess, so if you want to manually release set your pot on a few layers of absorbent towels.

Once the little pressure plug falls you can open up the pot and pull out the basket and discard the contents.

I then carefully, using a funnel, fill two 2ltr mason jars. This will fill them all the way full and you'll have just a little bit more that you can save or just drink to check the flavor.

When filling I fill a little into one jar then a little into the other. I do that a few times so that they both get about the same amount of fat (schmaltz) that will rise to the top and helps preserve the broth. When you first open the jar you can just toss the fat out before using the broth or you can use it for cooking. There will only be a few tablespoons worth.

I refrigerate the broth. Not sure of it's shelf life at room temp. It keeps for several weeks in the fridge. When it cools it basically turns into chicken flavored jello, so if you use it cold you'll have to scoop it out.

Now you can have amazing chicken bone broth for cooking anything that calls for chicken broth. I also use it a lot of the time instead of water when I make rice.

You can also just season it how you'd like and drink it as a hearty meal replacement, or to warm yourself up in the winter.

Last edited:
Anyone have a new, non spicy, recipe for me and my kids? Asian or Hispanic inspired recipe preferred.

I would put my recipe of Swedish Meatballs on here but my sister (that dirty whore) took it. Those things are on the otherside of godly.

Fell free to make sexual inuendo/jokes.

ive had it for a while. Best with mashed potatoes and gravy.
upload_2019-10-14_22-46-54.jpeg
upload_2019-10-14_22-47-10.jpeg

Kelp
https://getpocket.com/explore/item/...-help-save-the-world?utm_source=pocket-newtab
This Farmer Thinks Kelp Will Help Save the World
Seaweed is delicious. To Bren Smith, that’s just the start.

Unlike land-based agriculture, which on an industrial scale can be a powerfully destructive force—greedy for water and land resources, plaguing waterways with waste runoff, and contributing up to one-third of the planet’s greenhouse-gas emissions—Smith’s ocean-farming model is actually restorative. Seaweed is able to absorb five times as much CO2 as land plants, and it can sequester nitrogen buildup in the water, as well as the harmful runoff from farming or human waste. It helps rebuild coastal ecosystems by creating a sanctuary for other types of marine life, and acts as a natural buffer to protect the coastline against storm surges (a more likely occurrence in the age of climate change). For all its benefits, it requires very little from its cultivators—no fertilizer, fresh water, or land—and grows quickly and cheaply.

Thoughts?

I have made a couple batches of ceviche lately. Pretty easy to make and I've loved it.

I'm posting this now so I remember to come back and update with my recipe. But it's easy to make and not dependant on a super specific recipe imho.