What's new

Official Rudy Gobert Trade Ideas Thread

i think you keep rudy, but you need to construct a roster to counter the small ball lineups that have beat us down the past...4years..LOL. DL needs to wake his *** up.
In a perfect world, this is the roster you would need to build around Rudy:

Assuming we keep the following:
Rudy
Don
Royce
Ingles
One of Clarkson, Conley & Bojan

What we need:
- A good two way player who can really guard the perimeter. This must be a starter quality player.

- A perimeter defender who can guard 1-4 and can hit the occasional 3. This player needs to be pretty solid, but okay off the bench.

- A quality small ball center to play while Rudy sits vs small ball opponents. Doesn't have to be starter quality, but he needs to be able to play a lot of minutes versus small ball opponents. A guy like Tucker, Batum, similar.

Can we get the three things above while keeping the 5 players above that? I don't think we can. I think we could get one of the 3 above. Maybe 2.

I'm perfectly fine to have a dialogue about this. I would like to discuss it.

If it's related to the COVID stuff with Rudy, I think we've covered that. Don had every single right to be upset considering he was the 2nd player in pro sports to test positive while his teammate, the first pro athlete with COVID, was acting like a complete idiot even in public right before Don tested positive.

Outside of the COVID stuff, how has Don acted like a diva and caught up in himself that should be any worry to me as a Jazz fan? Promising millions of his extension to help others? Selling shoes where much of the proceeds go to help others? What actions has he taken that have negatively impacted the organization? I really want to know.
I'm just going to flat out say I have heard from someone as a fairly reasonable source that he hates it here and leave it at that. I get that everyone fell in love with rookie Donovan who laid it on thick. I would say there's 0% chance he stays beyond that opt out year and likely asks for a trade prior to that. If some of you haven't seen a noticeable change in him I think you're just not paying attention or trying to ignore it.

Jazz will run It back. No major changes. All this is just fodder for us. DL will come out and say we will get healthy and make another run at it.

I'm just going to flat out say I have heard from someone as a fairly reasonable source that he hates it here and leave it at that. I get that everyone fell in love with rookie Donovan who laid it on thick. I would say there's 0% chance he stays beyond that opt out year and likely asks for a trade prior to that. If some of you haven't seen a noticeable change in him I think you're just not paying attention or trying to ignore it.
Hates it here for what reasons?

Roster or the city/area?

Sent from my SM-G970U using JazzFanz mobile app

He has every right to leave if we can't bring more success. I personally know all too well that SLC isn't for everyone and he will have given a significant chunk of his career to it by the end of his second contract. He is also very active in the community, so that would be a major shame to see him go, but he wants to win, it's very clear.

IMO any time the "diva" comes out, it almost always revolves around being competitive, not being selfish.

i think you keep rudy, but you need to construct a roster to counter the small ball lineups that have beat us down the past...4years..LOL. DL needs to wake his *** up.
The trick here is that building around Rudy such that you provide some backline help for him when he guards the perimeter is difficult - if not impossible - without any ****ing assets. It's probably less hard to get a different backup, but still difficult.

Funnily enough, I think Ilyasova could've been that guy. Or Royce. Or... anybody. Too bad Quin refused to try anything at all.

who is this reasonable source?

I wish I could say I doubted the truthfulness of this.

The Jazz should definitely be operating under the assumption that Donovan leaves once he's able to, regardless of the success of the team, but that success might keep him. Whether Donovan loves it or not is much, much less important to me than that he is professional in the most important ways and is focused on winning here.

This notion that Donovan will carry us will result in a handful of mediocre years and nothing to show for it. He's awesome, but he's not that type of talent.

I've heard the same from my source, this isn't anything surprising. It was a savvy move bringing in D-Wade. Hopefully his presence can convince Don to stay.

Hates it here for what reasons?

Roster or the city/area?

Sent from my SM-G970U using JazzFanz mobile app
The place and people. I don’t think he has major issues with the organization.

He has every right to leave if we can't bring more success. I personally know all too well that SLC isn't for everyone and he will have given a significant chunk of his career to it by the end of his second contract. He is also very active in the community, so that would be a major shame to see him go, but he wants to win, it's very clear.

IMO any time the "diva" comes out, it almost always revolves around being competitive, not being selfish.
I mean sure he does, but you have to consider as a fan you probably only have a couple more seasons left of him on the team. That’s just my opinion. And as for being active in the community, have you noticed how that has got less and less? His first 2 years were golden, he laid it on thick I agree.

who is this reasonable source?
If you’d like to send me a private message you’re welcome to.

The Jazz should definitely be operating under the assumption that Donovan leaves once he's able to, regardless of the success of the team, but that success might keep him. Whether Donovan loves it or not is much, much less important to me than that he is professional in the most important ways and is focused on winning here.

This notion that Donovan will carry us will result in a handful of mediocre years and nothing to show for it. He's awesome, but he's not that type of talent.
I think he leaves at some point... may give us the small additional two year extension in a couple years like Beal did with the Wiz. I think he's here for two more years then we ask if he wants to extend and the conversation gets serious. Not sure we can let him walk for nothing in 4 years.

I won't hold it against him... that is how the NBA works these days for small markets. I just hope he is honest with us and we are honest with ourselves. We just don't have a guy that is right there on his timeline that you can say "why would he leave that?"

If anyone believes that a young African-American kid that cares deeply about social justice issues and that grew up in NYC/Connecticut will voluntarily choose to spend his entire NBA career in Utah, I have some real estate on the moon I could sell you.

He will opt out his last season or more likely, will ask to be traded sooner. He’s gonna be professional the whole time about it, but everyone best just prepare yourselves for this in the back of your mind.

I think he leaves at some point... may give us the small additional two year extension in a couple years like Beal did with the Wiz. I think he's here for two more years then we ask if he wants to extend and the conversation gets serious. Not sure we can let him walk for nothing in 4 years.

I won't hold it against him... that is how the NBA works these days for small markets. I just hope he is honest with us and we are honest with ourselves. We just don't have a guy that is right there on his timeline that you can say "why would he leave that?"
And that's why I have always thought going all-in on dudes in their mid-30's was short-sighted. The team peaks right at the beginning of his extension, then the castle crumbles and he demands a trade if he's smart. Worked great for the Cavs.

I know Brogdon ain't a spring chicken, but at least he's in his 20's. This should've always been a focus.

Idk what to say but I told y’all a long time ago lol
If he gives us 7 good years here that is kinda what I expected... It has been fun as hell for the most part. I'd rather enjoy it for 7 or so years than worry about when he will leave us the entire time and then when it happens say "I was right yall!" Cuz... were you?

If anyone believes that a young African-American kid that cares deeply about social justice issues and that grew up in NYC/Connecticut will voluntarily choose to spend his entire NBA career in Utah, I have some real estate on the moon I could sell you.

He will opt out his last season or more likely, will ask to be traded sooner. He’s gonna be professional the whole time about it, but everyone best just prepare yourselves for this in the back of your mind.
Add to the top paragraph "that also isn't friends with the other franchise cornerstone".

Let's not trade anymore future picks... I think the re-build is 2-3 season away. I hope we do it right this time. This dance we did with Hayward not quite on Rudy's timeline who is then not quite on Don's timeline is tough.

If he gives us 7 good years here that is kinda what I expected... It has been fun as hell for the most part. I'd rather enjoy it for 7 or so years than worry about when he will leave us the entire time and then when it happens say "I was right yall!" Cuz... were you?
Yes I was, because everything about him is just a PR mask. He’s a great talent, but in the end he’s a fraud person. It’s fine to enjoy it, it doesn’t mean you can’t be real too.