What's new

Official Thread: 2014 Draft JazzFanz Homer List

jabari parker.

Updated.

Alright guys it's 1 AM here in Thailand as I'm here on vacation, so time for bed, but please leave your Homer pick below and I'll tabulate them in the morning which is about 6 hours away.

Don't forget, it's also about who you "Love" as a player - don't get hung up too much about how he'll do next year (but also don't pick another 2013 Shabazz neither, LOL).

Thanks guys.

Massive copout IMO.

We will know next year if it was a reach or if it was the right idea.

I'm not saying they will be finished products. That's not what I expect from AG. I expect AG to show he is worthy of being picked where he was taken based on how he performs and others behind him do.

We will know next year if Vonleh is a soft candy *** pansy (thanks PKM) or if he is on the upward and will become an awesome big.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After Kobe averaged 7.8 points his rookie season and was bricking shots in the playoffs, did you KNOW he was going to be in the discussion for GOAT? Don't be disingenuous with your response. After 2 years, did you know Stockton was going to be one of the greatest PG's ever (he wasn't even a STARTER!) and it wasn't until his fourth season he averaged >8 pts/per. Anthony Davis certainly had a nice season his rookie year (14/8), but he wouldn't have won this "homer" game. Or how about Kawhi. Yes, I realize you knew without a shadow of a doubt after his AMAZING rookie season of 8 pts and 5 rebounds that he would be the Finals MVP just two years later. All players definitely come into the league at the same levels of development and you can project with 100% certainty their career trajectories.

As for Vonleh, if he goes to any other team besides Utah, he'll get a ton of minutes and will likely average a double/double. If we can say A. Davis justified his #1 draft position at 14/8, I'd say 12/6 range would be good enough for a #5 pick. Or was Davis a rookie "underachiever" who exploded into one of the best in the NBA in year 2?

If Vonleh lands in Utah, he may only play 20 mins/per. And the same would be true of Randle. Kanter and Favors are the starters and Gobert will get some time in the rotation as well. So barring injuries, less minutes available for another big in Utah than elsewhere.

Last edited:
After Kobe averaged 7.8 points his rookie season and was bricking shots in the playoffs, did you KNOW he was going to be in the discussion for GOAT? Don't be disingenuous with your response. After 2 years, did you know Stockton was going to be one of the greatest PG's ever (he wasn't even a STARTER!) and it wasn't until his fourth season he averaged >8 pts/per. Anthony Davis certainly had a nice season his rookie year (14/8), but he wouldn't have won this "homer" game. Or how about Kawhi. Yes, I realize you knew without a shadow of a doubt after his AMAZING rookie season of 8 pts and 5 rebounds that he would be the Finals MVP just two years later. All players definitely come into the league at the same levels of development and you can project with 100% certainty their career trajectories.

As for Vonleh, if he goes to any other team besides Utah, he'll get a ton of minutes and will likely average a double/double. If we can say A. Davis justified his #1 draft position at 14/8, I'd say 12/8 range would be good enough for a #5 pick. Or was Davis a rookie "underachiever" who exploded into one of the best in the NBA in year 2?

If Vonleh lands in Utah, he may only play 20 mins/per. And the same would be true of Randle. Kanter and Favors are the starters and Gobert will get some time in the rotation as well. So barring injuries, less minutes available for another big in Utah than elsewhere.

I just think it's still silly that you aren't willing to back him and say yep that's my guy when you are clearly the biggest Vonleh homer on here along with PGAB.

Again, im not saying that we need to know, in one year, that they will become the finals mvp or a hofer.

In Anthony Davis first year it was obvious to everyone and I mean EVERYONE that the pelicans made the right pick. He was the right pick. In his first year, Kawhi was an obvious steal at 15. You're twisting the argument. Again, not saying we will know that these kids will be in five years.

The game is, in one year, what happens in a redraft. Who goes where. At that point we will have more information on players but the decision at that point will be based on their first year and of course, potential.

It's just very odd that Vonleh supporters have no confidence that in a year, he will be viewed as a top 5 talent based on potential and first year production.

I just think it's still silly that you aren't willing to back him and say yep that's my guy when you are clearly the biggest Vonleh homer on here along with PGAB.

Again, im not saying that we need to know, in one year, that they will become the finals mvp or a hofer.

In Anthony Davis first year it was obvious to everyone and I mean EVERYONE that the pelicans made the right pick. He was the right pick. In his first year, Kawhi was an obvious steal at 15. You're twisting the argument. Again, not saying we will know that these kids will be in five years.

The game is, in one year, what happens in a redraft. Who goes where. At that point we will have more information on players but the decision at that point will be based on their first year and of course, potential.

It's just very odd that Vonleh supporters have no confidence that in a year, he will be viewed as a top 5 talent based on potential and first year production.

That's not the parameters of this game. The judgment is on who will outperform their draft position. Parker could be ROY and still not be the winner.

If the Jazz stay at #5 and Vonleh is there, he's my guy. He's going to be an excellent 2-way player for many years, averaging a double-double and be all-star talent. Every "expert" concedes he's still a work-in-progress so it won't happen overnight.

In terms of overachieving his draft position, I think McDermott is going to shoot "lights out" as a rookie. But because he's never going to be a starter in the NBA, his draft position will be lower, probably late lottery.

So Vonleh at 12/8 would be a "loser" in this game at the #5 pick if you have McDermott scoring 10-12 points off the bench but drafted at #10. You know what, everyone who supports Wiggins is foolish. He's going to be taken #1 or #2 and not immediately be scoring 20 points/per. But he's STILL worthy of being taken at that position. I'm not sure why this is so hard to grasp, other than your hatred of Vonleh and desire to immediately call him a "bust" if he's picked early and doesn't set the NBA world on fire.

Cool thread, only problem is that it rewards people for trying to swing for the fence with sleepers. If you pick Wiggins, and he is taken #1 overall, can he outperform your "meh" rating even if he is the best player?

Aaron Gordon doe. Shouldn't even be a question.

Also, next year is Otto Porter's redemption year, especially if they don't re-sign Ariza. Hearing from sources that Porter is hungry.

Just use my strategy. Choose someone likely going late 1st to early 2nd, then if they perform well you win! If they don't then they were just a late pick.

I pick Gordon because the Jazz have a better chance of taking him but I would pick Wiggins if the Jazz had a realistic shot at him.

Also, I would argue it's kind of hard to pick who will have the biggest impact in their first year before we see where they go.