What's new

OFFICIAL: Trade Deadline Thread

I would do this trade in a second.
Jazz get rid of three duds in one trade.
Highly doubt Raps or Grizz agree to it though.

That's a good trade. I don't know if Toronto is willing to let go of Ed Davis though, and I think Memphis overvalues Gay too much to agree to that.

Grizz have home court advantage. They don't overvalue Gay as much; it's more of getting something back that doesn't tell fans they blew up a team who beat the #1 seed a couple years ago. They already let Mayo walk for NOTHING (hello summer cap space).

Grizz have home court advantage. They don't overvalue Gay as much; it's more of getting something back that doesn't tell fans they blew up a team who beat the #1 seed a couple years ago. They already let Mayo walk for NOTHING (hello summer cap space).

I agree, giving away Gay for peanuts would make Calhoun...

jim-calhoun.jpg

I wouldn't mind that trade. It clears a lot of roster spots for next year. I personally do not want the Jazz to make the play offs because if they do I fear that this organization will continue trying to piece together this team with vets just to make the playoffs. The Jazz need to fail so they have to reexamine the direction this franchise is going.

I am ready to trade both Millsap and AJ. I would only keep Millsap if he is willing to come off the bench and take a reasonable contract. However, it is time to see what Favors and Kanter can bring to the table. The Jazz need to know what they have with all their young players. I do not care how many games the Jazz win/lose the next couple of years because under the current direction the Jazz will remain a mediocre team. In my opinion if the front office doesn't wake up they are going to miss an opportunity to be a real contender. I hope they realize this and do the right thing instead of continuing with the band-aid approach to building the team.

Yahoo article on the Grizz, Raptors potential trade...

Grizzlies, Raptors looking for third team to facilitate Rudy Gay trade

The final hurdle for the salary dump of Memphis Grizzlies forward Rudy Gay to the Toronto Raptors hinges on finding a third team to absorb the expiring contract of Raptors guard Jose Calderon, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

Rudy Gay is averaging 17.2 points and 5.9 boards this season. (USA Today Sports)
The Grizzlies have inquired with multiple teams over the past several days, searching for a willing partner to facilitate a three-team deal, sources said.

Despite organizational proclamations to the contrary, new Memphis ownership and management is determined to unload Gay and the $37 million owed him as soon as possible, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

Calderon has a $10.5 million expiring contract.

"With so many quality point guards, they're struggling to find a spot for Calderon," one league general manager told Yahoo! Sports.

Preferably, the Grizzlies want a less expensive small forward to plug into the lineup for Gay, sources said. Memphis has been relentless in shopping Gay over the past several weeks.

In a proposed deal, Memphis would likely receive another young Raptors player and a future draft pick, sources said. The Grizzlies have unsuccessfully tried to pry Raptors rookie Terrence Ross as part of the deal, sources said. Toronto has deemed Ross untouchable in these talks.

Recently, the Grizzlies' front office dumped three contracts and a first-round pick – including Mareese Speights, Wayne Ellington and Josh Shelby – onto the Cleveland Cavaliers to get under the luxury-tax threshold.

At 29-15, the Grizzlies are currently the fourth seed in the Western Conference playoff race. Beyond Gay, the Grizzlies have nearly $65 million in contracts locked into forward Zach Randolph and center Marc Gasol through the 2014-15 season. They are determined to lessen luxury-tax implications of holding onto three significant contracts.

Yahoo article on the Grizz, Raptors potential trade...

Grizzlies, Raptors looking for third team to facilitate Rudy Gay trade

The final hurdle for the salary dump of Memphis Grizzlies forward Rudy Gay to the Toronto Raptors hinges on finding a third team to absorb the expiring contract of Raptors guard Jose Calderon, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

Rudy Gay is averaging 17.2 points and 5.9 boards this season. (USA Today Sports)
The Grizzlies have inquired with multiple teams over the past several days, searching for a willing partner to facilitate a three-team deal, sources said.

Despite organizational proclamations to the contrary, new Memphis ownership and management is determined to unload Gay and the $37 million owed him as soon as possible, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

Calderon has a $10.5 million expiring contract.

"With so many quality point guards, they're struggling to find a spot for Calderon," one league general manager told Yahoo! Sports.

Preferably, the Grizzlies want a less expensive small forward to plug into the lineup for Gay, sources said. Memphis has been relentless in shopping Gay over the past several weeks.

In a proposed deal, Memphis would likely receive another young Raptors player and a future draft pick, sources said. The Grizzlies have unsuccessfully tried to pry Raptors rookie Terrence Ross as part of the deal, sources said. Toronto has deemed Ross untouchable in these talks.

Recently, the Grizzlies' front office dumped three contracts and a first-round pick – including Mareese Speights, Wayne Ellington and Josh Shelby – onto the Cleveland Cavaliers to get under the luxury-tax threshold.

At 29-15, the Grizzlies are currently the fourth seed in the Western Conference playoff race. Beyond Gay, the Grizzlies have nearly $65 million in contracts locked into forward Zach Randolph and center Marc Gasol through the 2014-15 season. They are determined to lessen luxury-tax implications of holding onto three significant contracts.

https://basketball.realgm.com/tradechecker/saved_trade/6220836

Thoughts?

Saw this in an article about 5 trades that should go down before the deadline. https://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/2013/01/wheeling-and-dealin/2/

TRADE FIVE
Rockets Receive: Paul Millsap, Landry Fields
Jazz Receive: Jose Calderon, Chandler Parsons
Raptors Receive: Donatas Motiejunas, Terrance Jones, Tony Douglas, Cole Aldrich, Marvin Williams

Financial Details: This one’s a doozy. The Rockets aren’t sending out nearly as much as they’re bringing back, but they have some cap space, which absorbs the difference. Meanwhile, the Jazz move about $17 million in contracts and bring in $11.5 million—a nice bonus for a small-market team. The Raptors move roughly $16 million and acquire roughly $16 million.

What’s in it for Houston:
The Short Answer: The best player in the trade.
The Long Answer: The Rockets are giving up some solid pieces here. Parsons has turned into a great find for them. He’s averaging 14 points while hitting 1.7 threes per game, but his production has gone down every month this season after a big November. Jones and Motiejunas were first-round picks in the last two years, but never play for Houston. Losing them does not hurt the team in the short-term. Douglas has been solid as a backup, but it certainly movable. Aldrich came over in the James Harden trade and has made no impact.

This trade would be a fleecing by the Rockets if not for Millsap’s contract status. The forward hits unrestricted free agency at season’s end, making this a slightly risky proposition by Houston. But trading for him now will allow them to go over the salary cap to re-sign Millsap this summer. I can’t imagine Millsap finding a better landing spot or more money than what he’d find in Houston, so this seems like a winning match to me.

It wouldn’t be much fun to take on Fields, who isn’t even slightly worth the three-year, $20 million deal he got over the summer, but he’s not that bad. In limited action this season, he’s shooting 43 percent from the floor and can rack up steals when he gets enough minutes. He can fill in for most of Parsons minutes. Most importantly, Jeremy Lin can finally return the favor and let Fields crash on his couch in Houston until he finds somewhere to live.

Assuming they retain Millsap, Houston will move forward with Lin, James Harden, Omer Asik, Millsap and Fields as starters, with Patrick Patterson, Carlos Delfino, Marcus Morris, and, maybe, Royce White coming off the bench. They’ve always wanted to move their assets for better players, and this trade, as well as the Harden deal, does just that.

What’s in it for Utah:
The Short Answer: Missing pieces.
The Long Answer: They key to this trade is that Millsap and Al Jefferson are headed for unrestricted free agency. With Derrick Favors and Enes Kanter developing behind those two, there’s no way Utah splurges to sign both impending free agents.

They’re going to lose one for nothing if they wait until the summer to figure things out, so moving one before the deadline makes all the sense in the world. Gordon Hayward has developed into a very solid wing player, but they still need one more. Parsons fits the bill perfectly. More importantly, they have a humungous opening at point guard. Mo Williams was playing well before his injury, but at this point he’s better suited to come off the bench in a Jamal Crawford combo-guard role.

When Jose Calderon starts for the miserable Raptors, they’re an un-miserable 14-16. As a starter, he averages 12.5 points with 9 assists and 1.8 turnovers—an exceptional ratio. He’s vastly underrated, and could run the Jazz offense beautifully. They’re a borderline Playoff team that would be much, much improved with a real point guard. No offense to Jamaal Tinsley, but it’s time for Utah to get serious.

Additionally, Calderon’s contract expires after this year, so the Jazz would have a solid chance to bring him back for a few more seasons with a new contract, likely for less than the $9 million he’s earning now.

An added bit to this is that probably means a lot to Utah is that they get to shed the awful contract of Marvin Williams. Marvin is averaging 8.4 points in 25 minutes per game this season, and is owed more than $8 million next year. Certainly the Jazz don’t want to be on the hook for that, and, with this trade, can use that money, as well as the money they won’t be spending on Millsap, to bring back Calderon, Mo Williams and Jefferson.

By assuming what those guys would get paid (say annual salaries of $5 million for Mo, $7 million for Calderon and $12 million for Jefferson) and subtracting the money Marvin won’t be getting paid, it’s easy to see that the Jazz would have big-time spending money. The payroll comes out to roughly $42 million. That should be enough for a max player. Obviously I made some assumptions there, but even if each guy gets more than I predicted they should have at least $10 million to spend.

They’d also have a really nice roster to build on top of. They’d enter next season with Calderon, Hayward, Parsons, Jefferson, Kanter, Favors, Mo and Alec Burks. They also have the Warriors 2013 pick via the Deron Williams trade as well as their own and the $10-16 million to spend. Top free agents this summer include Chris Paul, Brandon Jennings, Tyreke Evans, Manu Ginobili, OJ Mayo, Paul Pierce, Josh Smith, Dwight Howard and Andrew Bynum. An already-good team with money to spend could do very well in that market.

**Thoughts? I see two major Jazz issues with this one. 1. Al is not on the trade list, and 2. Neither is Corbin (related: do we have a system for Calderon to "run beautifully"?).

The Rockets can just sign Millsap in the offseason. They're not going to sacrifice Parsons and his extremely team friendly contract (and give up additional youth and depth) AND take on Fields for him. If I'm the Jazz, I do it easily. Jazz free up even more cap space, which they could always use to re-sign Millsap if they want him back.

I'm reading that Memphis-Raptors deal with a 3rd team is very close and that the 3rd team is likely to be the Pistons.

Ken Berger ‏@KBergCBS
League source confirms Memphis-Toronto discussions for Rudy Gay deal have reached ownership level. Two and three-team scenarios in play.

Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine
Sources say deal will morph to include third team to take Calderon, w/Detroit at front of line to land Spaniard after chasing him all season

Be aware though, I don't consider anyone from ESPN (Marc Stein) a good source.

I'm reading that Memphis-Raptors deal with a 3rd team is very close and that the 3rd team is likely to be the Pistons.

Ken Berger ‏@KBergCBS
League source confirms Memphis-Toronto discussions for Rudy Gay deal have reached ownership level. Two and three-team scenarios in play.

Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine
Sources say deal will morph to include third team to take Calderon, w/Detroit at front of line to land Spaniard after chasing him all season

Be aware though, I don't consider anyone from ESPN (Marc Stein) a good source.

https://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/...gree-principle-trade-rudy-gay-toronto-raptors

It sounds like the Mavs are a possibility as well. It would be a great deal for Detroit to give up Maggette or Prince and get Calderon.

From Grantland:

The lineup data shows that the Jazz boast some downright awful five-man units, but they also have a few very productive ones. Injuries have forced the team into some tough spots this year, but among its roster, Utah may have the right combinations to seriously compete with the West’s elite rather than settling for a one-and-done stay in the playoffs. The main problem with that option is that it’s boring as hell.

Basically Jefferson and Utah's own 2013 1st for Gortat and injured Channing Frye's contract. Atl gets Gortat and gives a pick as well.

https://www.grantland.com/blog/the-...-deal-that-makes-the-jazz-a-force-in-the-west